Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foul_owl

Transparent textures not tiling vertically?

Question

For example, MIDBARS3. Double sided linedef, impassible. Front side tex is MIDBARS3, upper and lower are set to a brick texture. Back side is all "-" since it will never be seen. Tried all four combinations of upper/lower unpegged also.

I can just design my maps so they never need to tile vertically, but seems like a shame since it certainly *could* tile vertically appearance-wise.

7 answers to this question

What format are you mapping for? In most formats you cannot have vertically tiling midtextures.

If you're mapping in UDMF format, you can check the 'Wrap middle texture' flag to enable tiling midtextures.

b56846480197645bea7f4d99da8af933.png

d2f07837a447134fd2e780da5ebc26e9.png

Generally they don't tile. In UDMF you can set the "wrap middle texture" flag on the sidedef, but outside of that you're out of luck.

Using gzdoom right now. Other mid textures tile just fine vertically, on regular one sided walls, for example.

midtextures behave differently on 2 sided lines, they will not tile vertically without being told to. Do what Dragonfly said and you should get the result you want. Also GZdoom is not a format, it's a port. Are you mapping for UDMF, boom, limit removing, vanilla etc

Wrap middle texture is a GZDoom feature available in UDMF, more precisely. It's not part of the base UDMF specs (which so far nobody uses anyway), it's one of the ZDoom extensions.

My apologies, I realize gzdoom is a port not a format. My target is vanilla but my maps only seem to run in gzdoom, they don't seem to load at all in chocolate, which I'm going to worry about later.

I don't necessarily need to tile mid textures vertically on a double sided linedef, I was just wondering if that was the expected behavior.

Thank you!

42 minutes ago, foul_owl said:

My target is vanilla but my maps only seem to run in gzdoom, they don't seem to load at all in chocolate, which I'm going to worry about later.

Worrying about it later is the worst thing you can do - you'll create a map and then find it exceeds the vanilla limits extensively to the point it cannot be salvaged, or perhaps was built in an entirely wrong format.

Linguica created a vanilla mapping guide some time back, I'd suggest you take a step back from your map, go read through this, and work out why your map doesn't work.

Ultimately, if you're making a map for a specific port, in this case, vanilla, test it in that port. :)