Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: SIGIL

So the month is drawing closer to its end. Are we going to have a quick few days of SIGIL (if it comes out this month), or switch into something else?

Probably next month is a best bet for people who didn't preordered it (like me)

I suspect Alfonzo has already packed it in for this month. He may not even be seriously reviewing this thread (fishing can be arduous work), because he didn't even bother responding to either NaZa's Fava Beans comment or Ancalagon's Dark Tartarus comment.

I would be rather shocked if the June thread for DWIL is posted later than a few hours into June 1 because 1.) it's a Saturday, and 2) it will essentially be copy-paste from this month.

Then we'll just see how long it is before it is posted on idgames for those of us that didn't preorder it.

1 hour ago, Pegleg said:

I would be rather shocked if the June thread for DWIL is posted later than a few hours into June 1 because 1.) it's a Saturday, and 2) it will essentially be copy-paste from this month.

If for whatever reason that situation comes true, I'd play the mapset immediately.

Hi. I caught a cyber cod (and at least 4 spectre smelt — I think. I don't know I can't see them).

Months are dumb and untrustworthy and have been stripped of their exclusive rights to Ironman hosting. In future, whenever a highly anticipated release is expected and we have no way of knowing exactly when it will come out, I'll just jump on that fucker with a burlap sack regardless of what day it is, set the timer for 30 days, and then continue to roll through other "1st" selections like normal as I haul it into the truck. Oh, snap!

Next month will be something that isn't Sigil plus Sigil as separate challenges.

I enjoyed the month off and regret nothing... except for maybe being short-sighted and also not bringing enough exotic bird feathers for my salmon flies.

2 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

Hi. I caught a cyber cod (and at least 4 spectre smelt — I think. I don't know I can't see them).

Months are dumb and untrustworthy and have been stripped of their exclusive rights to Ironman hosting. In future, whenever a highly anticipated release is expected and we have no way of knowing exactly when it will come out, I'll just jump on that fucker with a burlap sack regardless of what day it is, set the timer for 30 days, and then continue to roll through other "1st" selections like normal as I haul it into the truck. Oh, snap!

Next month will be something that isn't Sigil plus Sigil as separate challenges.

I enjoyed the month off and regret nothing... except for maybe being short-sighted and also not bringing enough exotic bird feathers for my salmon flies.

NO ONE WON!!! WE ALL DIED BY NOTHING!!!

At least that's something to be considered. 

Oh, now that you are here, I've been questioning a certain situation regarding mapsets with icon of sin that ends the game.

My question is the following:

• If for some dumb bad luck, you die after killing the icon of sin, that counts as a death and end the gameplay or that counts as a survived mapset?
  • Same situation but, if you die before killing the icon of sin and shooting a rocket before that death and that rocket kill the icon of sin...that counts as a death or also counts as survived mapset?

This probably was talked at some point because I joined a bit later but it's worth mentioning this...

Death is more accurately described in the world of Ironman as "failing to reach the intermission screen". If you can get there by any means necessary, you're golden. This is why death exits get the thumbs up and why you would be considered "alive" following both your Icon examples.

If I get shot to death by a zombieman on a staircase the width of a small country and spend the next 200 hours gliding along that width with pixel-perfect precision, finally arriving at a W1 Exit line... I'll have survived the mapset. Even as vultures begin to peck at my eyeballs in the hot, fullbright sun.

I win the unofficial Fava Beans challenge which was ironically suggested by myself (cue Bloodite comments on possible cheating, heh!). If only I could carry that momentum into Ironman proper. :P

5 hours ago, NaZa said:

I win the unofficial Fava Beans challenge

In which only 3 people (including me) participated 😜

Count 4 people. I'm gonna try it soon.........it's not over yet!!!

Unofficial run but went well for that Fava Beans mapset. Blind, 21:19, without going to secret map...enjoy...can be done much faster if prepared...

unofim_favald85.zip

Confirmed releasedate for Sigil is MAY 31st at 10am GM+1

Sigil confirmed for month of June?

1 hour ago, Ancalagon said:

How about this thread gets renamed and allow people to start posting runs now?

You want to give paid players an advantage, are you out of your mind?

9 minutes ago, Alter said:

You want to give paid players an advantage, are you out of your mind?

Only 1 run is possible, where's the advantage?, in any case it's the guys doing it later that get advantage from the tips other players leave.

The "month" will start from when the WAD becomes available to the freeloading public, but you can upload your Beast Box Runs or whatever they're called here in the meantime, sure. They'll count for the leaderboard, although I won't actually be able to put them up until the month starts because I'd like to go in cat 1.

Please put any details in spoiler text to preserve the sanctity of blindness at this special time, thank you.

So will we have two separate leaderboards and sets next month to compensate for no things this month, or? 

Two threads/separate challenges running more-or-less in tandem on account of the WAD release date, yes, although it's not in compensation — it just looks that way.

@Alfonzo

A question regarding Sigil. I didn't get to ask this before but what would be my category if I have watched Romero's streams. Romero showed atleast 3 different levels in his streams in which he even completed one of the levels.

Damn. I played Fava Beans a couple days ago for the first time, totally missed NaZa's comment. Great wad.

I've been avoiding Sigil news and videos so I can get a pure IronMan run once I get some uninterrupted time. Went ahead and bought the release yesterday to support Romero and Buckethead when I saw he was involved.

For anyone who knows, will the command be

.\glboom-plus.exe -iwad .\DOOM.WAD -file .\SIGIL_COMPAT.wad -record demo -warp 51 -skill 4 -complevel 9

? (this is for Powershell but should work for cmd too)

^^ I think -warp 5 1 or -episode 5, as well as -complevel 3 should be used because it's ultimate Doom.

Went ahead and did a run to get it out of the way, failing on the first level. Anyone not planning to participate can watch it at my YouTube channel.

I'll upload the demo itself next month if desired, but still mark me as a 0 on scoreboard for now.

Mr Romero killed me on the 2nd level :( Was bad run anyway, time to enjoy Sigil!

(The spectre was completely invisible to me btw Only the roars alerted it's presence)

Sacred cat 1

Spoiler

(Was spoiled about the evil eyes tho. Does that disqualify?)

dwironmansigilcat.zip

Edited by Catpho

Recording it should look like

c:\doom\prboom-plus\prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom -file SIGIL_COMPAT -complevel 3 -skill 4 -warp 3 1

Mine is a windows batch file and obviously you might need to specify full paths if prboom can't find them. The compat wad is complevel 3-compliant and replaces episode 3.

Also it might be a good idea to record on the free version to be released on Friday, because Romero will be adding patches for bugs that cropped up (like the potential evil eye softlocks). Biggest reason for iron man though is that hopefully there will be a DEH definition added that stops the final map of the compat wad from ending when the spider dies, heh.

Dammit, I just beat it an hour ago :( No blind run for me. So, cat 2, I guess?

Died the most frustrating death imaginable on map 03. Screw infinitely tall monsters :(

dwironman-sigil-rth.zip

Edited by Rathori