Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gunrock

Silent Steel: Remastered finished and in need of playtesters!

Hello!

Silent Steel: Remastered edition is a revamp, restructured edition using the most advance capabilities of Ketmar's K8Vavoom engine. Some of the many features include:

-decorate weapons and items

-Slopes and 3Dfloors

-Transparency effects

-Quake Style lighting effects

-Models to enhance the environment

You can find Ketmar's K8Vavoom engine here

It will "work" with GZDoom but expect graphic glitches, differences in lighting effects, and no model rendering.

Download:

Silent Steel: Remastered

shot1.png

shot2.png

shot3.png

Edited by Gunrock : download link change

the shots look brilliant, can't wait to give this a go! cool to see you back around here :D

15 hours ago, Tango said:

the shots look brilliant, can't wait to give this a go! cool to see you back around here :D

Yeah, i'm still mapping. I'm currently going through some old projects of mine revamping things here and there.

as k8vavoom author, i am very happy that we have not only k8vavoom maps, but very playable and great-looking k8vavoom maps! thank you for you hard work!

No clue how to install and use this :( I get Vavoom to pop up for a second and then it's gone.

same thing is happening to me actually :( it pops up and shows the title screen for about a second, then closes itself without warning

1 hour ago, Rex705 said:

No clue how to install and use this :( I get Vavoom to pop up for a second and then it's gone.

12 minutes ago, Tango said:

same thing is happening to me actually :( it pops up and shows the title screen for about a second, then closes itself without warning

I have been using Zdoom Launcher

I load K8Vavoom.exe as my source port and then load Silent.pk3 as my external file and hit launch. Its a lot more simple and quicker.

4 hours ago, Rex705 said:

3 hours ago, Tango said:

You need not the regular, but the k8VaVoom fork to launch this. If it still crashes, then try launching with the "-nomusic" command line argument. Doing so helped me with the same problem.

2 hours ago, AL-97 said:

You need not the regular, but the k8VaVoom fork to launch this. If it still crashes, then try launching with the "-nomusic" command line argument. Doing so helped me with the same problem.

Ketmar said:

"If you want music, but don't want crashes, download ogg/flac/mp3 music packs from the link in the first post, and put "snd_mid_player -1" to your "config.cfg" file. this way k8vavoom won't accidentally start timidity, but will be able to play music in other formats."

@Gunrock thank you for providing free support for my sourceport. excellent mapset, free tech support line... i like the way things going! ;-)

p.s.: for people not following k8vavoom developement: crashes with music should be fixed in the next public build, which is almost ready. just follow k8vavoom dev thread to not miss it. sorry for inconvenience.

Played the first level and a bit of the second. Very cool maps played nice and smooth. It's a bit weird that the pistol isn't center screen making it awkward to shoot.

Video for you :)

Edited by Rex705

I'm playing the megawad using GZDoom since K8Vavoom doesn't seem to work well with my nearly 10-year old ASUS laptop.  I take it that K8Vavoom is more resource-taxing than good ol' GZDoom (it technically works, and it looks great, but the framerate takes a serious hit and makes it only semi-playable).

actually, it should be other way around (i.e. k8vavoom should work even on hardware GZDoom cannot), but GPUs are "dragonland", alas. it's sad that k8vavoom performs badly for you, but hey, if GZDoom works... so be it. ;-) that's why i will always be a proponent of cross-port compatibility: people should have a choice!

anyway, i hope you like the mapset.

@fezzador p.s.: you can PM me your specs, and we may try to find out if your laptop is really too weak, or i did something stupid in k8vavoom. don't take it as a demand, pls -- do it only if you have some free time at hand you're ready to waste. ;-)

p.p.s.: the upcoming k8vavoom build should be slightly faster (on complex maps like Hurts it may be up to 8-10 additional FPS at places). so you may wait a little and check it (i'm planning to push the new build this week).