Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
protgent

.WAD to .EXE

so i dont want a "doom mod". i want to create a EXE file that will run my mod. without dragging and droping.(not auto run zdoom) when i post my game. its going to be on WWW.gamejolt.COM

and i want players to download  a exe file. and run the game. do other steps.

can anybody please send converts if there is any?

As adobe, you can make your mod a Iwad or write a .bat to .elxe and the .bat the parameters of the game to be launched in the source port.

1 minute ago, jamondemarnatural said:

As adobe, you can make your mod a Iwad or write a .bat to .elxe and the .bat the parameters of the game to be launched in the source port.

If you do this do not include any commercial IWADs, they are not free to distribute - use FreeDoom instead.

29 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

If you do this do not include any commercial IWADs, they are not free to distribute - use FreeDoom instead.

Yes, as other mod do like Simon Quest (Castelvania on Doom)

17 hours ago, Tuckymonster said:

so i just slap the iwad lump to my wad file? or does the file have to me .iwad?

No, you need to create an IWAD using the wiki link I posted earlier.

If you are distributing the game for free and don't want to create all the resources you can use FreeDoom as a base.

Edited by xvertigox : I should probably read the links I post myself..

i just made a iwad that has doom shit in it the iwad stuff. is that fine if i want to make a free doom like game?

If it's from a commercial iwad (doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad etc) you cannot release that. What exactly are you trying to do? Do you want to release maps as a standalone exe? Or do you want to release a full game (i.e Adventures of Square)?

full game. i want a doom like game, where players open a exe file. all the files are loaded and they wait for it to load. real simple. just open and play. but free doom does only a few maps.

If you want to make a full game you're going to have to learn how wads work and how GZDoom works (assuming you want to use that). Making an iwad is pretty simple, filling it with content is exponentially harder. You'll have to create all the textures, sprites, sounds, maps, decorate etc. It's doable but it's going to be a huge amount of work. Have a look at existing games to see how they work, I mentioned Adventures of Square but you can also look at Rise Of The Wool Ball.

hmmm, ok. insted of a pk3. can i make use a wad file. so IWAD reading a wad file insted of pk3?

You could if you wanted but it wouldn't really make a difference. Check the wiki with the links I've already sent, it has all the information you'll need.

How can I do this, make my wads into one singular .exe file but also incorporating Brutal Doom into the mix. I've made 8 maps in 1 wad using GZdoom Builder, and is played using the Brutal Doom Engine.

Thanks.

Wads are not exes. The exe is the binary of the port and has nothing to do with wads at all, it just reads them.

Check the wiki and do some reading. This thread has already answered this question several times.

3 hours ago, boris said:

It's the iwadinfo.txt in gzdoom.pk3

okie. and what do i type in to the iwadinfo that reads my PK3/WAD file?

Making the IWADINFO is by far the easiest part of making an iwad.  You will then need all the data, ALL of it.  You will need maps, textures, flats, music, sprites, sounds, graphics for things line the status bar, fonts, palettes, a replacement for genmidi, etc.  Anything you find in doom.wad, doom2.wad, heretic.wad, or any other iwad will need to be in there, and you need to supply your own data, not illegal copies from a commercial iwad.  Before you start making an iwad, you should be aware of what you are getting yourself into.  You are basically making a whole new game, like the already-mentioned Adventures of Square.

The elephant in the room here is that "single exe" requirement. That alone will require some king of wrapper, a self-contained installer-runtime combination, on top of whatever source port the OP chooses to use, and regardless of the use of WAD, IWAD, PK3 and whatnot. The latter is really secondary. It is also stated explicitly in the OP that an "auto run ZDoom" will not do.

There are some programs that do that, but they too require some time to configure and setup up. You basically tell them to wrap up a bunch of files that make up your app/game, they make a single .exe, and then they temporarily extract and run everything. This is a pretty standard approach for games made using some kind of "Game Maker" software, BTW, which is what the OP was probably looking for to begin with.