Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hunterr42

My third release - spicynugs.wad

Posted (edited)

This time around I tried to focus on prior criticisms, mainly boring room designs and a lack of enemies. It's also slightly longer than my last 2 wads(still under 10 minutes.)

Each area has slight gimmicks to them, both visually and in gameplay, but in testing they aren't enough to make anything feel "clunky". Just enough to make them less boring.
if i fucked up, tell me

So, have at it! Let me know what you think about the level. What did you hate? What did you love? That's what the reply section is here for.

Made with GZDoom Builder and SLADE for doom format, tested in GZDoom.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm4k9tzgm3icw8u/spicynugs.zip?dl=0
Update #1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/68tmiyer1ijg6bq/spicynugs_update1.zip?dl=0 Fixed some wrong textures and misalignments, also chaned a pickup.

GZDB Screenshot in spoilers!

Spoiler

nugs.png.0daa6afba21998065324e828c097349a.png

The name has nothing to do with the level, context is this dumb tweethttps://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1124763246370676737

nugs1.png

nugs2.png

nugs3.png

nugs4.png

nugs5.png

Edited by hunterr42 : Updated

Posted (edited)

Played this and a couple things stood out:

Visually, almost every area has only one structural texture and not much else. At this point, some people might say "add more detail" -- but if you take a flat, featureless shell and poke little insets in the walls and border the floors and all of that stuff, you still have a flat, featureless shell, just with stuff scribbled on it. Really, the first step is messing around with greater structural and architectural complexity. You have a bit of it, but not much -- it's mostly a modest, restrained '00-era sort of architecture at best (a lot of small inclines and 'Minecraft slopes'). Experiment with that stuff not just within areas but between them as well. Nearly all of the rooms and areas here are joined by doors or hallways; each area usually has two simple, physical-only connections, and I came across little meaningful height variation too. To mix that up, think windows, think steps, think lifts, and so forth -- and don't forget (arguably most flexible of all) wide-open connections that turn two simpler individual areas into one 'composite area'. (Play some good modern maps so you know what I'm talking about; it's hard to get the most out of words without having a point of reference.) All of those are pretty 'cliched' observations, but those are typical mistakes among all but the most talented beginners.

The gameplay reflects the layout design's flaws. There are a few more eventful traps but 90% of the action is moving onward and then shooting stuff in front of you. More choreography -- trigger-revealed traps -- would help but aren't enough on their own. Beginners with such cover-shooter tendencies are advised to mess around with multi-directional combat. Mixing in at least a low proportion of perched monsters usually helps make that easier -- being fixed in place, they retain their static position, which lets them serve as a foil to something situated in another direction. There were literally none here, which is odd. You'd need a more fluid layout either way.

Edited by rdwpa