Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Custom level names in the Intermission screen

Question

From what I'm reading in tutorials, the simplest way to show the custom name of the level in the intermission screen is to create a custom mapinfo file. So in theory, what I have in my Mapinfo file should work and show the level name XXX, but it doesn't. It displays the original level info:

GameInfo
{
   PlayerClasses = "NewPlayer"
}

Map E1M1 "XXX"
{
    levelnum = 1
    titlepatch = "WILV00"
    next = "E1M2"
    secretnext = "E1M9"
    sky1 = "SKY1"
    cluster = 1
    par = 40
    music = "D_E1M1"
}

I'm using Freedoom as mod's base. Is there an easy, mapinfo-only way to change the name and properties (par time etc.) of a level?

10 answers to this question

Oh, right, that is a thing, yeah. If it's Freedoom, Phase 1 is the Doom/Ultimate Doom compatible one, and Phase 2 is the Doom II compatible one.

If you're putting that in a Phase 2/Doom II-compatible WAD, then that's the problem, because it's going to go by the MAPxx convention.

Freedoom shouldn't matter. Be sure you are on E1M1 (meaning Freedoom not Freedoom Phase 2) and that your file with the MAPINFO is being loaded.

8 hours ago, Szuran said:

Oooooh. It's a Doom II-compatible map. That explains everything. Thanks!

Well, you don't HAVE to follow the MAPxx convention.

If you're using Freedom Phase 2, and your MAPINFO names a map definition using E1M1, it's going to look for a map marker named E1M1. If you put the map lump in the MAPINFO as ZERK01, it's going to look for a map marker named that, and so on.

So if you want ExMy or whatever, just name your map markers appropriately so it finds them. You can do that via SLADE.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Szuran said:

Is there an easy, mapinfo-only way to change the name and properties (par time etc.) of a level?

Drop the titlepatch line, and it should construct it from whatever name you put instead. Adding a titlepatch tells it "Pull this graphic from the WAD for the intermission screen" basically.

And obviously you can change the par time by, well, setting the par time in that MAPINFO.

That said, you may be doing your MAPINFO wrong. You shouldn't need the GameInfo chunk at all, unless this is a gameplay mod where you're modding the player class - just a bunch of map definitions should suffice.

Maybe paste your MAPINFO here in a spoiler block or something?

10 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Maybe paste your MAPINFO here in a spoiler block or something?

I... pasted the content of the entire file in my first post. The GameInfo chunk is there so I can redo some weapons - I think this was @Nevander's recommended approach.

Oh, I thought that was some stock MAPINFO.

Then yeah, all you should need to do is remove the titlepatch line, and set your proper par time. Everything else looks correct, so I'm really not sure why it'd still be failing, if it somehow is failing.

Posted (edited)

It's not working - not the level name, not even the par time (i set it to 40).

Screenshot_Doom_20190505_185715.png.93318b980f1dcd63fef8e539231911eb.png

Can it be because I am basing on Freedoom and level names / paths there are different so E1M1 isn't the right one?

Oooooh. It's a Doom II-compatible map. That explains everything. Thanks!

Thank you. I'm fine with MAP01 format, I just didn't realize it varies between Doom and Doom 2.