Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyron

Converting UDMF to Vanilla DOOM

I can't figure out how to do this, whatsoever. I've been trying to convert a pk3 to wad so I can use it with PRBoom on my 3ds, and I've done everything I can think of, and the only other thing I can think of is that the map format is incompatible. The initial format is UDMF, and since PRBoom is a vanilla Doom engine, I'm guessing that UDMF isn't compatible with it.

You're right. Udmf map and pk3 isn't compatible with prboom+ yet(it might never be compatible with udmf), so you better use zdoom/gzdoom or eternity depending on map configuration. 

Given that the only ports who embraced UDMF so far are advanced ports with a lot more extra features, most probably your UDMF map contains a lot of things that wouldn't work in PrBoom+ even if it could read the format. For example, if your PK3 contains files with any of these names, it's probably going to be very hard to properly port it to a more limited engine.

UDMF is an advanced format anyway. If you were to (somehow) successfully convert a UDMF map into vanilla format, you'd lose stuff like flat rotations, scaling, ACS etc., thus resulting in a map that doesn't look right at best and is downright unplayable at worst.