Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wobbo

Why is Dwango5.wad so incredibly popular in Zdaemon?

The ONLY servers i EVER see running deathmatch use this wad and it sucks. AM i the only person that hates this wad? Is it specific to Zdameon, and IDE and others have better selections? Am i logging on at the wrong time of day? wtf?

Nope, you're not the only person. most of the maps in dwango5 are slapped together garbage, and not fit for balanced deathmatch. I'd play more dm online but it's always those same crappy levels. That's why i LAN with my custom maps...unfortunately getting people around to play a game like Doom is increasingly hard these days.

The main point I like coop better. The problem is, no one ever puts Icarus up for coop...

Eh... Some of the maps in Dwango5 are ok. I like that one that kinda resembles a western town (MAP11 I think...) The rest of them are overplayed and boring.

heh, dwango5 blows except for a few maps. Everyone know this and agree with it. Play on GSN greenwar if you want good FFA maps.
For 1on1, dwango5 map01 is a nice map, not crappy at all like the rest of dw5.

Lizardcommando said:

I like that one that kinda resembles a western town (MAP11 I think...) The rest of them are overplayed and boring.

Map 11 is that one with all the radiation around the high walkways n stuff, its mainly made out of the stone textures...its my fav map on Dwango5 :D (Especially the music on it, dam thats good music :D)

Map 13 is the town looking one I think u may be thinking of.

Deathmatch, particularly on "public" servers like the ones on zdaemon is about playing on more or less familiar maps. You need a certain level of acceptance to run a map for the public in general. I remember administering a server and trying out various high quality maps which were unfamiliar. People hardly played them. Why? A) they had to download them, B) They had not played in them before. Dwango5 is the DOOM II DM-only WAD, but basically due to maps like 01, 07 and 11 (and maybe 2 and a couple others) Oddly it's the same map#s that are OK for DM in doom2, more or less. Lasting dwango5 servers play these maps, the ones that just cycle through many (carppier) maps tend to be shortlived.

I've always felt making a DM map (and pretending it's going to be used) is pretty pointless unless there's already an expectation for it; either among a group of friends or among players that tend to visit the servers you play on.

That's the reason why I never really got into Doom Deathmatch. I always wanted to play the maps that no-one played before.

95% of all games of doom DM I play are on map01 or dw5 map01. It still doesn't get repetetive really.

Y'all should keep your eyes open for rarefiles zdaemon servers, I always serve alternatives to dwango5. I can run the servers starting at about 6:00 Pacific, most nights. Often put up a doom2 coop server and also several DM servers with proven classic wads like: tntblood, tntgrvnc, dcdwango, gothicdm, purepak1, dwango6, dwango10, boothill, dweller2, etc.

Dwango5 Map01 is THE DM level, IMO.
That is, besides the original Map01 in Doom2:)

Let's see...

D5m1 - An incredible map which is a ripoff of Map01 but has been modified
D5m2 - Excellent map for duels for some extremely speedy actions
D5m3 - Fun for plasma spamming and camping at certain spots, heh
D5m4 - Pretty skillful map for duels
D5m5 - The castle with a very nice, fun layout, awesome for FFA.
D5m6 - Decent FFA map, that is if you enjoy and you are able to endure for some lamers camping for BFG, that is. Overall, pretty fun for duels as well.
D5m7 - An awesome SSG based level for the real men!
D5m8 - Can be used for a BFG mod
D5m9 - Lame
D5m10 - Good map that needs to take patience to play on
D5m11 - Cool level for duels
D5m12 - An okay level
D5m13 - A nice, little map for FFA and duels
D5m14 - A great map for either FFA or duels
D5m15 - A level where you sorta need to win with luck
D5m16 - Small level for small people
D5m17 - Massively crowded, meet the wrath of plasma and rocket, cool for FFA.
D5m18 - Another hot SSG map for real men!
D5m19 - Lame
D5m20 - Lame
D5m21 - So-so
D5m22 - The most hilarious map of all FPS games based on Map01!!!
D5m23 - Suitable for teamplay
D5m24 - a weird level O_o

999cop said:

D5m22 - The most hilarious map of all FPS games based on Map01!!!

Dwango11.

999cop said:

Let's see...
D5m17 - Massively crowded, meet the wrath of plasma and rocket, cool for FFA.

Uh, what?

The best map in d5 is map14. The others are ok, but I'd prefer a wider range of wads to choose from when I DM in ZDaemon. I prefer co-op, but with a 56k connection it lags a hell of a lot.