Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timberx111

RoE plot makes no sense.

In Doom 3 RoE, McNeil says that there isn't enough power to run the teleporter so we need to reroute more to it.

So, in all her brilliance, she decides that the best way to do this is to shut down or destroy the only sources of power in the entire facility, such as the main reactor and the auxiliary power.

Am I the only one seeing a problem with this logic?

Idk, but I definitely wouldn't shut down the primary source of power to the entire Site 1 complex.

We need more power, so let's shut off the only power we have. How does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure the rationale was that the only way to activate the teleporter was to re-route all the base power (including the power for the emergency systems) to the teleporter itself. The player needed to shut everything else off first so they could do that.

11 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I'm pretty sure the rationale was that the only way to activate the teleporter was to re-route all the base power (including the power for the emergency systems) to the teleporter itself. The player needed to shut everything else off first so they could do that.

Indeed, that was the plot.

17 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

So there was more power available from the emergency systems than the main reactor itself? How does that make sense?

Like, I'd understand if we were just shutting off the pumping station and life support, which consume power that could be rerouted to the teleporter. But the main reactor and the backup power that we destroy during the boss fight are already power sources.

If there wasn't enough power for the teleporter, that to me means the main reactor is already not providing enough power so how would shutting it down provide more to the teleporter?

Are you sure there was a main reactor? I thought they were core systems that needed to be shut down to power the Phobos teleport station.

6 hours ago, timberx111 said:

Like, I'd understand if we were just shutting off the pumping station and life support, which consume power that could be rerouted to the teleporter. But the main reactor and the backup power that we destroy during the boss fight are already power sources.

Watched a playthrough vid. So after destroying the 4 generators during that boss fight, you can hear Mcneil say 'auxiliary power is down. Good. Re-routing.' The main reactor is the giant machine you shut down in the middle of that big circular room with all the Cacos and Forgotten souls. Following that is when you shut down the emergency life support system.

I'll grant that destroying those 4 auxiliary generators during that boss fight doean't really make a lot of sense in the context of what Mcneil says you need to do. To be fair though, I don't think she ever says 'you need to destroy the aux power', but that you simply need to shut it down. The devs probably conceptualized the mechanics of that boss fight and started designing it, but then realized the whole destroying it part didn't make a lot of sense, so they threw in that 'auxiliary power is down, re-routing' line to sort of alleviate the issue. 

Maybe Mcneil was the true evil all along...                              

...nah.