Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooky_Skeletons

Doom eternal weapons

I was wondering what everyone’s opinions were on the weapons we have seen so far in doom eternal.

Persionly I think that the guns look a lot better than the ones in doom 2016, I really like what they did with the plasma rifle in particular. However, I also think that some of the guns were not very interesting, like the full auto rifle. What do you guys think?

I liked all the new designs except for the rocket launcher. 

Shotgun looks MUCH cooler than the somewhat nondescript thing in D2016.

Super-shotgun has a grappling hook bayonet. 'Nuff said. 

Plasma has more character to it and is somehow more identifiable. 

HAR is neater. I like the firing animations, with the front part being pushed back with each shot. I don't quite like the new missile pod arrangement on it though (the twin mounted pods look odd). 

I know most don't like it, but I dig the ballista. Reminds me a little of the rail detonator in Jedi Knight (in function). 

Rocket launcher just looks cheeky. 

Yet to see the chaingun and the pistol. 

My theory is that the Doomslayer gets some new weapons from corrupted sentinel tech.  The rocket launcher looks a lot like the one the Doomhunter has.  Maybe he is a boss fight and you ripe it off him?

The Shotgun, Super Shotgun and the HAR look cool, the plasma rifle look AWESOME, the rocket launcher is questionable.  I actually prefer the 2016 Rocket Launcher to the one in the new concept art.

Don’t have any problems with the weapons so far.

Spoiler

Still holding out for the unmaker.

I like how the melee has a punch instead of a gun butt animation, since it's more fitting and less generic.

The shoulder gun, as silly as it looks, reminds me of an inventory system in games like Heretic where you use items without loweing your weapon and i find that neat.

The shotgun looks good and its alt fires look more interesting than the ones in 16 but i hope the gattling one is just fully upgraded in that footage or otherwise it looks OP as if it's replacing the chaingun.

The SSG looks interesting and i like the grapple hook.

The machine gun/heavy cannon is alright and i like the new sniper rifle mod.

The rocket launcher has a more interesting design and that shows something in regards of the art direction: you still get that "too much detail" direction but at least some stuff has designs that are still interesting instead of feeling like they're just throwing polygons for the sake of expanding on their engine. (like this one has skulls, exposed chamber and a chain and the 2016 one was just tech stuff in it)

The ballista is cool.

The plasma rifle looks better and it's good that they brought back the classic design but i wonder if gameplay wise, it'll have its own "niche" spot from the heavy cannon. (which i don't think really happened with the 2016 PLSG, since it has a higher firing speed but the damage felt the same)

The chainsaw came back and i wonder how the crucible will work.

We still haven't seen the pistol, chaingun or even a BFG. (because it's not a Doom game without it)

I guess i liked almost everything i've seen.

I like the design of the weapons we've seen so far, and especially those that had their classic design recreated, the Plasma looks amazing.

Otherwise, got nothing else to add.

I too like the classic look to the weapons (no doubt they did that as a fan service). The brown on the Shotgun (although i still don't like the overall look of the Shotgun all that much); the Plasma Rifle definitely looks awesome; the SSG looks great as usual but i'm not so sure about all of this "flying around" with the whole grapple hook thing, probably because i never liked to jump in Doom mods so grappling is something i see being more of a Quake thing tbh (as it was in one of the expansions but only in multi-player). The rest are okay i suppose.

Now this is coming from someone who has yet to play Doom 2016 (although i really want too) so i'm speaking more from a "classic Doom" perspective. I'm sure the grapple hook will work just fine as i'm sure the jumping and what not felt great in Doom 2016 as it is a different engine than id tech 1 (Doom) after all ;)

Edited by CyberDreams

I like the Plasma Rifle for having a much more recognizable appearance.

In DOOM I honestly find the full auto rifle much more useful than the chaingun, the chaingun just wasn't more powerful enough to warrant me using it over the auto-rifle (with its much higher accuracy), the standard pickup takes too long to wind up the firing mechanism, and the alternate turret mod for it reduces too much of my mobility to be worth it. I only rarely use it in situations in where I have to deal with multiple mega-beasts like the Mancubi, multiple Barons and so on. I also don't like the Plasma Rifle's old-new appearance, it's too big and unwieldy for its role.