Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBoy91

What's your playing style?

I also sometimes play with Real Guns Hardcore, which is REALLY tough, and i use a very strategic and careful playstyle. Always checking every corner and systematically taking down all monsters in an area to minimize risk for that keycard i'm about to grab.

HMP or UV, Just gonna run and exit instead of getting 100% max. Pistol Run, Save every enemy kills, every health pickups, every secrets and every weapons.

I usually play UV and save fairly frequently if it's a hard level. I try to kill all the monsters, but if a bunch of cyber demons spawn in I'm not going to waste ammo killing them.

I wonder if it'd be more fun to play HMP with less saving. I always just pick the hardest difficulty in games.

Vanilla gameplay with cosmetic mods mostly. UV as long as I can manage it. I try to find the secrets but don't give a damn about %, kills or whatever. Prefer playing without saves, or few of them if the map is large or difficult.  Use berserk whenever available and exit with too much plasma left.

UV usually, HMP if the mapset is pretty difficult. I do try to finish as much as I can with kills and secrets, but eventually I'll just go to the exit if I'm just wandering aimlessly. I mostly save at the start of levels, though if it's a long or difficult level I save in some parts. I prefer waking up monsters and making things a bit more interesting.

I might sound stupid for asking this, but what's the difference between not saving and playing with pistol starts? Do you make it a point to play each level with a pistol start, or do you just lose all your weapons when you die and go from there? I'm still a bit of a noob yet, although I've learned a lot.

10 minutes ago, NerdyButLazy said:

I might sound stupid for asking this, but what's the difference between not saving and playing with pistol starts? Do you make it a point to play each level with a pistol start, or do you just lose all your weapons when you die and go from there? I'm still a bit of a noob yet, although I've learned a lot.

It's not so much that it's different than they aren't about the same thing at all: you can pistol start and save, or play continuous and not save.

But yeah I do make a point to play each map in pistol start and usually I don't save, unless I try to understand a difficult part or I need to take a break from the game.

It looks like a very serious approach to gaming I guess, but it's how I'm having my share of fun. Pistol start forces me to take risks and work out tactics to build my resources, and not saving forces me to live with the consequences of my actions and adapt to bad luck. Both together makes for a good adrenaline cocktail.

I get really into a level so much that I don't realise that I'm not saving. Then I die in some silly way like a self inflicted rocket to the face and get pissed off being sent all the way back to the start.

Or atleast thats what always happens to me when I play Quake or Blood, but I'm pretty sure this applies to when I play Doom as well.

Sometimes HMP, sometimes UV.   

But if it's the latter and I feel like it's a difficult wad, I allow myself some advantages like enabling trigger lines to find secrets and I save a lot. 

If it's the first time playing a new wad (finished SIGIL last night, it's great) I go in HMP for the best balanced experience to a new wad. I save each level at the beginning. After I've completed the level, and or wad, the saves let me go back to clear again but to explore the maps in leisure: view the level designs, listen to the music, look for new ways of travel (when I go in UV) and try to find all the secrets. 

Whenever I play, for the last couple of years, I use Brutal DooM. IMO I like the balance between old and new that it brings and what it offers to enhance a set of games I have been playing since 1995 (on PC for a few months, ran to DooM PS1 since I was more used to using controllers than mouse/keyboard) and go back and forth between the two.

I don't play for 100% anything anymore but rather for the immersion of it and whatever I feel like at that time. Whether it be straight up old school, casual, UV cause I feel like I want to eff some shit up or anything else in between. 

If anyone hasn't I do suggest either  saving the beginning of level and after clearing said level, enabling God Mode. It is something to be said about the facets of what the wad creator is giving to you. The ambience, structural designs, thought process of laying out the map. I did that with SIGIL last night, it was nice being able to sit back and explore Romero's vision of the unofficial (it is official to me) 5th episode.

I am not a wad creator, never have (would like to one day) but I do have respect for those who have and do.

I use Delta Touch as my means of playing (love me some Quake/Quad Touch too) as I haven't needed a laptop/PC in years (albeit missing out on wads since my 4 year old LG G5 can't handle some of them) 

End rant lol

On 5/6/2019 at 3:56 PM, NerdyButLazy said:

Lower difficulty settings? Do you care about killing every enemy? Are you a tactical player? Quick save every 30 seconds? Nightmare or nothing? What's up?

Prefer UV, will do HMP, and resort to HNTR if it's really hard. If I have the ammo I'd prefer if everything died, but that's not always an option nor is it always practical. If it can't get to you or hound you throughout the level then why waste my time and resources? I always go in with the mindset that ammo may be stingy, even if in most circumstances it isn't, but I am conscious about capacities for ammunition in the world vs. what I'm carrying and try to keep it topped off and rounded out as much as possible. Always leaving supplies behind in the event that I need them, same with health and power ups. Berserk isn't often employed in my plays unless the situation affords it with little to no health loss or ammo is an issue earlier on, so I typically view them as 'full health' in the event of an emergency. My play style is typically a mixture of maneuverability and cover hugging, slower pace or normal pace depending on how open or cramped an area is. Usually if I can if I know I'm about to spring an ambush I'll retreat so I can funnel enemies through a choke-point instead of being trapped in an arena, but sometimes this isn't an option so if possible I'll have a plasma rifle out at the ready, also a good way to explore sketchy and uncharted territory in case of traps being sprung. Oh yeah, and I either save at the beginning of a level or during when obtaining keys only.

4 hours ago, Kira said:

It looks like a very serious approach to gaming I guess, but it's how I'm having my share of fun. Pistol start forces me to take risks and work out tactics to build my resources, and not saving forces me to live with the consequences of my actions and adapt to bad luck. Both together makes for a good adrenaline cocktail.

Gotcha. I used to to save multiple times during a level, but now I only do it once at the beginning of each. Pistol start sounds like the next logical step in gittin gud. I've been trying to beat Ultimate Doom with no deaths or saves. When I'd die, I'd just start all over. Maybe I should relax and try pistol starts instead so it's not as frustrating.

Usually HMP pistol start. Don't care about 100% but try to get secrets when I can. Secret level exits almost always elude me.

I always play on Ultra Violence, speedrunning or casual.  If it's a new map, I tend to play more cautiously: checking corners, not picking up health unless I really need to, saving often, and always plan on an exit strategy in every room in case of an ambush.  I'll look for secrets, but I won't go out of my way for them (if I really wanted to know where the secrets are I just use the no clip cheat and look around).  I never played Doom by pistol starting every level, I just play continuously.  I always play vanilla style (no mouse look, jumping, crosshairs, etc.)

I love Brutal Doom, but only on Realism difficulty.  I always try to see how far I can get without dying.

Lately, I've been playing invasion maps and I'm really enjoying it.

23 minutes ago, Hellsinker 01 said:

I love Brutal Doom, but only on Realism difficulty.  I always try to see how far I can get without dying.

Realism mode is the best part of that game TBH. Makes you have to really utilize the tactical style that game is designed for.

One thing I occasionally do is turn on God mode just to run through the level and explore, figuring things out and such. Helps me memorize the maps for later.

I'm a BD fan and always play the mod with HMP. Lately I've been playing on Realsim mode.

To expand further I want 100% on kills and pickups. It's ok not to get all secrets but I love it when I 100% everything.

Edited by Chezza

Mine is kinda depends on the situation.

If there is too many enemies to deal with, then i would try to use cover and sprint as much as i can. Save states are rare. HMP because i'm a coward. UV is too annoying to deal with.

I usually play in an aggressive manner either on UV or HMP if enough trouble is given to me.

14 hours ago, Chezza said:

I'm a BD fan and always play the mod with HMP.

BD HMP & UV..... OMeffinG it's a B, and she's on her period lol and like @NerdyButLazy @Hellsinker 01 Realism is very nice when you want tactical and to see how far you can get! 

When BD first came around I didn't care much for it outside of the gore and always preferred playing DooM the way it was meant to be but it's nice going back and forth with it.

I play most maps UV, especially IWADs. If a WAD is too hard I feel no shame moving it down to HMP. I don't make any saves while playing, and I do continuous runs of wads. I tend to quit WADs partway through just to come back and replay all of it. I like this approach because then I A) get better at Doom B) Remember the map more C) Analyze more of a map to design into a PWAD later. I don't do pistol starts and if I die I keep the items I had at the beginning of the level.

I usually try to go for 100% secret just because it's fun and rewards you, sometimes I try to go for 100% enemy kills, but that's not usually a priority. 100% items never matters to me. I tend to be careful when entering unfamiliar parts of maps, something I habituated from playing through Dark Souls.

I used to play solely on HMP, but other than that this is how I've always played.

I'll generally start on HMP to gauge the difficulty. If it seems easy enough I'll restart on UV. I'm not a stickler for 100% in any of the categories, but occasionally I'll go for it if I like the map a lot. Large levels and megawads I definitely save often, because I tend to lose inertia and interest after replaying parts I've already seen. I tend to like small to medium-sized maps with a clear focus over the larger endurance types.

I play on the default difficulty of any Mod or WAD in order to get used to its Difficulty, know how the game plays, its mechanics, etc., this way I can play on higher difficulties like UV and NM with more ease as I got accustomed to how the game is.

From here, It all depends on what kind of Mod or WAD I'm playing, to be honest.

If it's say, an Slaughterfest (I'm not a fan of those but I play it when there's nothing else), I always rush and ignore the monsters, that or my PC somehow crashes. (?)

On strategic, exploration, Deus Ex-like or "Horror" Mods, I always try to be stealthy and take care of my resources.

And on other WADs I just rush and play like the Doom Slayer.

UV and buddha mode cuz I just want to shoot a lot of monsters (buddha so I can maintain some semblance of psychological illusion that I am losing health though). I don't aim for 100% kills and secrets, but I do try and get as many as I can before it becomes a chore

On 5/8/2019 at 4:47 AM, NerdyButLazy said:

And I thought I saw it all in the last 25 years. :)

UV. 100% kills, items and secrets, ignoring par times, with normal map starts. I'll do HMP if it's a slaughter map or has tight ammo conservation and I really like it, otherwise I usually attempt to avoid those types of maps.

i play the way it was meant to be played. no thinking, guns blazing, and thrash metal. i am currently doing a "true pro doom" run with civvies rules but in dosbox, keyboard only, and minimal saving, unless the level is impossible without it. yeah. keyboard only. default control scheme.