Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBoy91

What's your playing style?

I usually play on UV. I'll sometimes play on HMP if I'm tired or just wanna relax through a game session. I'll occasionally enable fast monsters while playing UV in Episode 1 and sometimes 2. I enjoy using Brutal Friends when I play Plutonia from time to time. Meta Doom is my favorite mod to play with. I usually won't save much unless I'm playing Episode 4, Sigil on UV, Doom II on UV, or Plutonia. I enjoy playing TNT the most.

I'm usually playing on HMP (HNTR if it's really kicking my ass), no Always Run since I prefer to use shift for running. I generally play slower and more methodical.

I play on Ultra-Violence, and usually move through the maps slowly and methodically.  I'm the kind of play who uses cover and shoots from a distance, instead of just rushing straight in and running around frantically.

Hurt Me Plenty... and very very careful.

I have finally broken my "too good to use" syndrome which I developed as a kid due to not knowing the secrets and having constant ammo shortages - except for batteries for the plasma and BFG. Why oh why do my two fav guns in the game share the same rare ammo pool?

Depends of the wad, if it's too grind I try to ignore the meaty enemies, but if the enemy placement is more tricky, I will try to play slow and kill everything.

UV mandatory, but I'm not too cautious and I quit if die many times and the map theme does not match my taste.

Edited by nicolas monti

Embarrassingly bad. I've been playing DOOM off and on since 1996, and never got really good at it. Never got the patience to develop the skills needed to consistently survive battles with lots of tough enemies.

I did eventually beat all original IWAD levels on UV, but with free use of mid-level saves. There are a handful of PWADs I played but never invested much time into them.

I play the original DOS engines keyboard only, but I play the modern engines that actually have free-look (e.g., Doomsday) mouse+keyboard. Seems more natural this way. Mouse+keyboard does make things easier. I think I played Scythe 2 in Doomsday on UV and reached level 15 without massive save-spamming (maybe without mid-level saves at all), before losing interest again.

14 hours ago, dr_st said:

Embarrassingly bad. I've been playing DOOM off and on since 1996, and never got really good at it. Never got the patience to develop the skills needed to consistently survive battles with lots of tough enemies.

Oh cool, we should start a club for us folk who can easily play games for literally years or even decades and still suck at them :p .

But seriously, we must have something special in us to stay forever bad at games we're constantly playing.

6 hours ago, seed said:

Oh cool, we should start a club for us folk who can easily play games for literally years or even decades and still suck at them :p .

But seriously, we must have something special in us to stay forever bad at games we're constantly playing.

As long as you're having fun, skill level doesn't matter! Lower skill might even be better for some mapsets, I found Rush and the first 4 episodes of Eviternity kind of boring because they were too easy, but YMMV.

As for the original question, I play UV pistol-starts with no saves by default. I found that by doing this on maps that are just at the edge of my skill limit is what has allowed me to improve at Doom. If it has short episodes however (i.e. Scythe 2 or Valiant), then I'll play continuous. If the map is beyond my skill level, or obnoxious, I bust out the saves, but generally only save in "idle" moments (don't save in the middle of combat). If UV is "Doom-gods only" (Sunlust), then HMP. I try and go for max kills as best as possible, but I don't go out of my way to find every secret. I actually favor smooth, linear designs over non-linear ones, since non-linear maps can be easy to get lost in and require a lot of thinking. Truly non-linear levels though, as opposed to "multiple linear paths", can be masterpieces when done correctly though, and getting lost always leads to something useful/progess (Plutonia 2 MAP17, Kama Sutra MAP18).

Died once from playing Sigil on UV difficulty first attempt only because of that cacodemon in the last room of E5M7.  Died about 15 times or less from Eviternity first attempt through the game on UV very recently.

I would say I'm above average.

Edit: Nevermind thought the question said "Whats your playing skill."

Edited by STILES

2 hours ago, 3saster said:

As long as you're having fun, skill level doesn't matter

Strong disagreement.

10 hours ago, seed said:

"Constantly" is an exaggeration. In the 23 years playing DOOM I probably spent less time playing it than some folks spend in a single year.

It took me 13 years to finish Plutonia, simply because I got fed up at some point halfway through, and stopped playing. It's not because it was overly difficult (how difficult really can it be if you allow mid-level saves?), it was just because after playing through about 100 levels of the original games + a few PWADs, things started feeling repetitive. Every few years since, when I'd have a nostalgia attack or nothing better to do, I'd come back, play a couple more levels, save and leave. Eventually I beat it.

4 hours ago, 3saster said:

As for the original question, I play UV pistol-starts with no saves by default. I found that by doing this on maps that are just at the edge of my skill limit is what has allowed me to improve at Doom.

I second this as the key to improvement. And I think that pistol start versus continuous play does not matter as much as the "no saves" rule.

2 hours ago, seed said:

Strong disagreement.

I don't think I phrased that well; I meant that the important thing is you're having fun. If something is very hard but you're having fun trying, then that's great! If something is so hard that you aren't having fun anymore, then it's hardly gonna help you get better. In that sense, higher skill level allows you to enjoy a wider array of maps I suppose.

1 hour ago, dr_st said:

I second this as the key to improvement. And I think that pistol start versus continuous play does not matter as much as the "no saves" rule.

Generally speaking yes, and "no saves" applies to every level, except maybe very short maps. Pistol start does make a very large difference on some maps though. For example, Scythe 2 MAP29 is relatively easy on continuous; on pistol start it's arguably the hardest map in the WAD. 

20 minutes ago, 3saster said:

I don't think I phrased that well; I meant that the important thing is you're having fun. If something is very hard but you're having fun trying, then that's great! If something is so hard that you aren't having fun anymore, then it's hardly gonna help you get better. In that sense, higher skill level allows you to enjoy a wider array of maps I suppose.

Generally speaking yes, and "no saves" applies to every level, except maybe very short maps. Pistol start does make a very large difference on some maps though. For example, Scythe 2 MAP29 is relatively easy on continuous; on pistol start it's arguably the hardest map in the WAD. 

As it currently stands my skill level only allows me to finish tough stuff, but otherwise it is far, far, FAR below what I would even remotely call "good", probably because my standards are too high. Little more than "satisfactory", mostly. But yeah, my definition of "good" is honestly around Zzul, NIH, or ZeroMaster levels, nothing below is good enough for me. It does enable me to enjoy stuff that would make other people "nope" out, but at the same time it most definitely shows that what I'm usually playing is not for my skill level, and that's fine. It also doesn't mean I'm necessarily doing a good job when beating them.

No saving and pistol starting only makes things more frustrating than they should be for me, though I do pistol start when it is a viable option or things get way too easy and there's no more challenge left in the map. It bothers me that I hit a wall long ago, but it's nothing new to me. I mean, there's games I have played for years, and almost on a daily basis, and if you'd see me play the last time I touched them you'd think I started a mo th ago or so :p.

UV always, even if it breaks my soul.

I've recently started doing pistol start. (I've been playing lots of wads from the early days). I appreciate the -pistolstart command in Doom Retro, that makes this task brain dead. I've been really enjoying the more tactical nature to combat when I have to start each level with the basics and use the resources the level designer intended I have access too. After 20+ years of Dooming, I'm surprised it never occurred to me to play like this before.

UV always with 100% on everything. Classic / Smooth / Beautiful DOOM only . The latter have in my opinion faster weapon changing sprites, so I change weapons on the fly for everything for example Cacodemon is one Rocket Shot with two/three shotguns. Chaingun for zombies shotgun for imps. Berserk pretty much everything that's possible to get upclose when have the pack.

I used to play ITYTD and HMP a lot. I've kinda moved onto UV and its pretty goddamn hard. Most of the time, I will choose cautiously playing over outright speedrunning. I will only get the secrets that I know about, or if I find luckily. Same for the monsters, shoot and kill. If I miss any, I usually won't go back. In terms of ports, I alternate between PrBoom+ or GZDoom. The first for the classic look and feel (although the music doesn't sound that good) and the latter for the smoothness and visual treat. The use of smooth weapons and HD sounds definitely add to GZDoom I'd say.

Mostly cautious type play at the beginning, whatever wad it is. Then I try to max it out for every map at faster speed.

Once I finish a wad 1st time, I play it again at pistol start, and if I feel confident enough, I will not save once during the game.

Speaking of it, I save scam depending on wad's difficulty (saving a lot on Sunder, and a couple of times on each map of Dark Encounters). I always play on UV setting. I get more thrills.

I only use GZDoom latest version, keyboard+mouse.

I play in GOD MODE, pacifist style.

_LET LOVE REIGN ON EARTH_

(Just Kidding: UV on all usual wads; HMP on SI6ILl until I have 3x100%, then UV)

Always UV, I save after most encounters (if I remember to), and I try to max it if I like the level or the music. Never pistol start on levels after 01.