Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfredo

A Tricks and Traps Remake.

Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone. I'm a fairly new mapper and I was recommended by my peers to post here before uploading anything to the WAD hosting sites. 

This is my 5th map that i've made and the only one that I think I did something good with. Download will be at the bottom of the post.

Gameplay vid:

Spoiler

Gameplay Video Courtesy of Bridgeburner. (Thanks a ton!)

Screenshot_Doom_20190506_225508.png.a0670b953f102019cc3220adae5ed23c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190506_225611.png.47ca19f4a917f3ce2c943ab2c986132d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190506_225539.png.719e3df26b34556f2c51f2dc3df2f6f2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190506_225528.png.41bb194345e948084c073af098ba78d5.png

Map has about 2 months of off and on work put into it. I've taken several liberties with the original map design and made it my own. I'd say its a moderately lengthy map and on somewhere of the upper end of moderate difficulty for a standalone map. The map is completable from pistol start to finish without finding any secrets, and is fairly nonlinear. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and encouraged.

Map: Tricks and Traps Redux.

Replaces MAP08 in DOOM 2

The map does not have Difficulty settings.

Compatibility is Boom. Thanks Pegleg!

Freelook is fine. No jumping or Crouching are intended.

Map was tested using Zandronum, and created with GZDB in Boom: Doom 2(Doom format)

I hope you all enjoy what i've made and I look forward to bringing more maps in the future!

Version 1.2 Update: Tricks and Traps Redux.zip 

Changelog: Fixed a couple textures and added a couple things to shoot towards the end of the map. Download link should be working properly now. Adjusted the amount of cells, health and armor. 

Edited by Alfredo : Added Gameplay Vid

Fun map, I liked the difficulty it was tough in parts but not too tough

Spoiler

except for that last fight (I think the invulnerability should be moved closer ? or I should play better lol)

The combat was fun and dynamic enough and I liked your take on the tricks and traps. I think the map could use a bit more detailing (quite a few single texture walls in places) and there's a few alignment issues and a couple of stacked pinkies. Those are fairly minor though I do think a bit more detail would go a long way. This map is def worth downloading and having a blat.

Here's my playthrough:

Spoiler

Posted (edited)

Been years since I played a modded map, the last time i played one was online in ZDAEMON in 2006

I might have to  give this one a try... I remember playing this map over and over in DOOM II, it reminds me of halls of the damned in DOOM. (E2M6)

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, xvertigox said:

Snip.

For xvertigox's eyes only.

Spoiler

That area is meant to be a "Gotcha" trap the first time around. If you know its there. You have plenty of time to reach the invuln and plasma gun. As it is now. the monsters don't immediately block your path to the invuln, as they're placed in a horseshoe shape around it.

I'm glad that you played through the map and enjoyed it! I hope you consider a second run through, because there are a few more tricks and traps left up my sleeve after that fight. In terms of completion, you made it to the 50% mark with that run.

I went back and fixed that stacked pinky. I had been wondering where one of the pinkies had vanished to in the editor. turns out one of them was stacked perfectly on another. Should I upload the patched file in the original post? Or should I wait til more feedback comes in? Not sure how things operate around here yet. 

@Alfredo Ah yep, fair enough. I'd have to play that section again to get a better feel for it. I'm sure I could have played it better and survived without any prior knowledge.

For patching you upload the fixed version as 1.1 or whatever so when people play it they don't bring up old issues that have since been fixed.

Welcome to Doomworld!

What compatibility is this map (limit-removing, GZDoom, etc.)? Yes, you built it in GZDB and tested in Zandronum, but what could it be played in? In the future, unless you mean for it to only be played in Zandronum, try testing it in other ports.

Otherwise, great level posting!

8 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

Should I upload the patched file in the original post? Or should I wait til more feedback comes in? Not sure how things operate around here yet. 

It's your map, so it works pretty much however you want it to work as far as how often you want to post updated files.

In all seriousness, if the only thing you changed was to move two demons relative to each, I wouldn't bother issuing a new version. Unless the change was a major one that fixed a critical, game-breaking error (or game-breaking oversight), I suggest you wait until you have a more feedback. Otherwise, you'll end up stuck in a cycle of "1. make a minor change, 2. post the updated file, 3. someone finds another minor problem, 4. repeat steps 1-3."

Also, xvertigox's version 1.1 suggestion was a good one to follow, whenever you do update the file.

As for where you would post the update, follow what CapnClever wrote:

• "When you post updates, update your file in the opening post. Go ahead and make a new post to bring attention to the thread, but point people back to the opening post so that everyone downloads the most recent version."

@xvertigox, After playing this I watched your video. I was curious how you got through it in 20 minutes. Also, I too failed at that SR50 crate jump many times, but I was a little more persistent than you (and savescummy); it is doable.

Streamed this map last night. Was pretty good fun. Enjoy these highlights.

WARNING: There is much cursing here. Viewer discretion is advised.

download link is broken :(

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2S328/1

Fixed the download link and added a newer version of the map. Adjustments are in the changelog.

Gameplay Video added, Courtesy of Bridgeburner. Thanks for letting me use it!

Very cool ideas, just too hard and a bit long.  All in all, if the textures were fixed, it'd be really great.  The ideas and execution were great.  Too many cyberdemons imho.