Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nue

Injuries?

These can be major or minor. I only ask that if they are minor, like scraping your knee, you keep it within the last week or so. I'll tell some of mine:

Cracked my head open twice in a year, I fell in a ravine and from playing hide and seek.

Skinned my shin with a hatchet.

Had hypothermia once after falling in a frozen lake.

Had a basketball hoop fall on my leg, breaking my femur in half.

Hide and seek was never that dangerous here with the lack of ravines. I used to hide under the wheelbarrow where nobody could ever find me...

I broke a bone in my ankle in highschool during gym class doing some stupid wrestling moves. Other than that I'm pretty good. had a sprained foot a couple times...

[edit] ahhh I forgot about the time I fell of the deck at my friends place. Ended up in a pile of rocks and dirt. Luckily i didn't break anything. Got some scars on my arm from that one. That wasn't yesterday tho. heh.

No real advance on what I posted here in 2002:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9107-bodily-injuries/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-156206

Major inversion sprain of the left ankle (from judo) when I was at Uni.

Cracked rib when skiing (I, er, kind of landed on it from a considerable height).

Skied 24 days this ski season without any mishaps. Last year I bruised a knee slightly nastily (on this), which made some of the hiking I did soon afterwards in Patagonia a little uncomfortable. But yeah, all kinda small change. I do wonder if I might have slightly chipped a bone in my left elbow last November in Karijini. The smooth dense red rock there made for very hard landings.

I don't have any recollection of it, but apparently as a small child, a hot iron landed on me and caused a little scarring on one of my fingers. Probably it was quite dramatic at the time. At an early age I fell from a bunk bed and got a big lump on my head for a while. That one I do remember.

Silliest of all was when, half asleep, I went to turn off my alarm clock, but pressed on top of the light bulb on the bedside table instead. Since that didn't turn it off, I kept pressing harder until I noticed a burning flesh smell. Oh well, skin grows back. Lesson: use taller lampshades.

Edited by Grazza

Landed on my bottom when I tried to learn some skateboarding tricks back then in the 90s.

I could barely stand up because the tail bone was hit just enough to cause problems.

This was on flatground... on the street.

When I was a child I fell from a bicycle off the street and banged my head on a little tree stump. Was lucky not to lose my left eye. Got some scar to the middle of my forehead. It's still visible, but somewhat faded. Had to wear bandages around my head for a while back then. Felt like months, but was it that long, I was 5 or 6 years old, so my perception of time was different.

When I was a teenager, my right foot hit the corner of a wall, and the toe nail of the little toe came off, but it grew back later. Also when teenager, I climbed over a fence between two railroad tracks and hit my left leg on some dull spike on the top of the fence. At first I thought it was just a bruise, but hours later back at home I noticed, there's kind of nasty looking wound there. At the hospital I told them I had banged my leg on some rock. They looked at me a bit like I wasn't telling the truth. I just didn't need/want them or my mom telling me about things I wasn't supposed to be doing.

2014 did some spinning double kick, but slipped and failed to do the ukemi properly. I landed on my right thumb. I think it broke a little, but I was able to treat it myself. There's probably some kind of permanent damage there, because when I move the thumb, my right index finger moves too. It didn't use to do that before. I wonder if it would have healed better if I had seen a doctor about it.

2016 banged my head on some laundry drying thing attached to the wall. Got some concussion. I was ok for a week, then suddenly started feeling dizzy, nauseous, tired and confused. Couldn't stay up for more than a couple of hours until I had to go back to sleep. After a month of this, I started to feel more normal again, but if I played some 3D game, I'd get dizzy very quickly. Doom I could play for an hour before I got headache. Also had problems with remembering what I had read when I was reading something. Maybe it took some half a year to be mostly normal. Pain lasted a year and still occassionally comes back.

19 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

Maybe it took some half a year to be mostly normal. Pain lasted a year and still occassionally comes back.

Never occurred that it would probably be a good idea to check that out with a doctor?

49 minutes ago, Rhebiz said:

Never occurred that it would probably be a good idea to check that out with a doctor?

Indeed, head injuries are nothing to play around with!

When I was only a year or so old I broke my right arm (my parents said I fell off the bed) and learned to draw with my left. I write and eat with my left hand these days but I do everything else with my right.

When I was in elementary school, I was playing baseball with friends and, when I was being the catcher, a baseball bat slipped from one of my friend's hands and hit my head. I got a really bad bruise which caused a small part of my skull to go soft. You could poke a finger in. My dad did get me checked out at a doctor, and they claimed I would be fine haha.

When I was a teenager I really pulled something in my right shoulder while backyard wrestling. I couldn't use it much for a few weeks. Some days it still hurts.

When I was in my 20's, I was cleaning a brand new blender. The blades were sharp and sliced the tip of my finger pretty deep, it's permanently numb now.

A year ago, while rolling in jiu jitsu, I popped one of my ribs out. Luckily it didn't break, it was just the soft tissue around that was damaged. It kept popping out for a few weeks if I wasn't being careful, but after 2 months it healed and hasn't popped out since.

3 hours ago, Rhebiz said:

Yea, I did, twice. Both doctors just ordered me a whole lot of pain killers, which didn't relieve the pain at all. Then I was also kinda suicidal, that I went running and hoping I'd rupture something in my head and die.

Almost split my toe in half with an axe while cutting wood in 1996. Nice one inch cut, from nail to the stub of the toe revealing the bone. Looked pretty cool and didn't hurt at all because of a burst of endorphins and adrenaline. It started to hurt only after putting stitches when the anesthetic came off. The interesting part was that we had to travel first by boat for 3km and then 30km to the nearest hospital because we were at our summer cottage, which is on an island. :D

I've managed to live my life relatively injury-free. The worst I had was a bruise on my left arm from slamming full-speed into a door. (Don't ask how that happened.)