Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've added an endpoint here to query records:

https://dsdarchive.com/api/demos/records?wad=heretic&level=E1M1&category=Pacifist

Response: {"player":"Kimo Xvirus","time":"0:27","category":"Pacifist","level":"E1M1","wad":"heretic","engine":"Heretic v1.3 + vv","date":"2009-02-22T03:06:50.000Z"}

(I can add more details to the response, it's just a proof of concept.)

This could be used, for instance, with irc / discord bots, for pages on other sites to not need manual updates, etc.

What would you like to see out of a dsda API?

I like this. Maybe wad specific stats like total time, total demos, first demo (date, demo), last demo (date, demo), etc

Nice, this should be a godsend for the Doom Wiki - I tried on a couple of occasions to push along the maintenance of the speedrunning tables there, but with now over 5000 map articles and counting it's just an impossible task, no one has that much time on their hands. For Pr+ demos would it be possible for the response to show the demo's complevel?

2 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

For Pr+ demos would it be possible for the response to show the demo's complevel?

I'm not coding this, but afaik the complevel always gets baked into the demo file, so I suppose it can be read.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eris Falling said:

For Pr+ demos would it be possible for the response to show the demo's complevel?

That info is included in the engine column right now, e.g.,

https://dsdarchive.com/api/demos/records?wad=enirvana&level=Map 19&category=Pacifist

{"player":"4shockblast","time":"9:30.37","category":"Pacifist","level":"Map 19","wad":"enirvana","engine":"PrBoom+ v2.5.1.4 cl9","date":"2017-07-28T20:51:56.000Z"}

On 5/8/2019 at 9:29 PM, Eris Falling said:

Nice, this should be a godsend for the Doom Wiki - I tried on a couple of occasions to push along the maintenance of the speedrunning tables there, but with now over 5000 map articles and counting it's just an impossible task, no one has that much time on their hands.

Adding/updating DW demo tables via a XymphBot script has been on my to-do list for a long time, pending API availability, so yes, this is most welcome.

I don't really have any insight yet what data will be needed to accomplish that, so perhaps someone familiar with DW demo coverage (Eris?) can advise what API features would be useful?

Beyond that, desired endpoints and attributes will probably not come up until I would start building a script, which is quite a ways off due to (non-DW) things higher on my list.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, kraflab said:

I guess one thing missing is a link to the file.

Obviously. And a notes field?

Edit: query by wad ID (e.g. 947 for Doom IWAD) would be most helpful, since I already have those in XymphBot .ini files.

Edited by Xymph

The id for doom is "doom" in the new dsda; I don't have any plans on preserving those numbers 😛

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kraflab said:

The id for doom is "doom" in the new dsda; I don't have any plans on preserving those numbers 😛

Please reconsider that. Wad IDs (and optionally map IDs too) are used in the dsda template and only the template would need to be updated to point to the new site and WAD/map pages.

With a different ID system, some 4500+ DW articles would need to be updated which, even with a bot script, would be painful and time-consuming -- as would manually looking up the 380+ new IDs and updating the bot .ini files.

Edited by Xymph

Considering the scope of this project, updating links on the wiki doesn't strike me as a big task anymore, since it should be automatable. 🙃

The template has a title, which could be used to make the links instead, but only if there aren't duplicates, so I don't know if that's doable.

Posted (edited)

FWIW: What about an API query that takes the md5 (or 8.3 filename perhaps) of a WAD and returns its ID?

For the bot, that means a one-time code update to replace Andy's IDs, then subsequent runs make two passes, one to retrieve the IDs and one to get the records. If the IDs later change again (backend upgrade or whatever), it keeps working.

As a bonus, it could prevent associating a demo with the wrong version of a megawad.

Not seeing any reason to add an extra step in between wad and id, especially one that needs to be changed every time a wad is updated.

What version of a wad a demo belongs to is a separate topic and a nonissue, so I don't see that being a relevant benefit either.

9 hours ago, kraflab said:

Considering the scope of this project, updating links on the wiki doesn't strike me as a big task anymore, since it should be automatable. 🙃

Despite automation, it is still a big task to me. Bot account actions aren't autonomous; a bot script is run on each .ini file separately, under human supervision so it can be aborted in case a malformed edit comes along (e.g. due to a non-standard entry that the script didn't take into account yet). No-one is going to review thousands of bot edits afterwards, so I believe that monitoring is important. While running across multiple .ini files can be automated further, monitoring updates on 4500+ pages (the other 1000-odd map articles don't have DSDA links) is still very time-consuming.

And before that, updating the .ini files is a time-consuming task in itself. Could you at least provide a mapping list of old numeric ID to new alphanumeric ID so I can try to script those updates? It should not be hard to create that as a by-product of the import phase from the old site.

9 hours ago, kraflab said:

The template has a title, which could be used to make the links instead, but only if there aren't duplicates, so I don't know if that's doable.

The optional title field determines how a link is shown in the article, and cannot and should not be used to control the external link.

The whole point of this template (and many like it) is that the external links can easily be updated in a single place if the IDs are preserved, and it'll be frustrating if that won't happen here.

Ya, I'm sure we can work out some kind of redirect path that takes legacy IDs.

16 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Ya, I'm sure we can work out some kind of redirect path that takes legacy IDs.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that very much.

For new WADs without old ID, we can create a new dsda template and use that in future map articles.