Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Weird Door Problem in Deepsea

Well, yet again, I am starting on a new Doom level. I would like to put in a small area where you start, there's a shotgun and some shells, and there's a door in front of you.
My problem is this: the doors are screwed up for some reason. When I try to make a new one, it looks alright, but here is the actual problem: one of the sides of the door that's supposed to be one of the door tracks is labeled and textured to be the other side of the door, meaning that it opens and shuts like the front of the door. The other side of the door is labeled and textured to be a doortrack. Something is not right here, and I would like to know what keeps causing Deepsea to do this, cause this is really getting on my nerves.
EDIT:
Apparently, this door glitch is happening with all the .opt files.

Don't use automated door prefabs. Instead, create a sector which is to be your door. Meaning: two sides (A) attached to wall, other two sides (B) facing another room each. Make sure the 1st sidedef of sides B is facing outwards (the little t-cross in the middle of each sidedef should face outwards to the adjacent rooms). If one of the sides is facing the wrong way, flip the linedef. (DO NOT FLIP THE SIDEDEF ONLY, or you'll end up with wrong sector references). Now, assign trigger number "1" (= "door open, then closes") to sides B and tag (ctrl-t) them to the door sector. Done.

The easiest way to create a door using Deepsea is to take the passage where you want to put a door and split it into three sectors. Select the middle sector and use "Make door from sector" in the misc menu. This'll set the sector's ceiling level to the floor level, assign the Open Door special to both sides, and add preset door textures (including door tracks).

DooMBoy said:

but here is the actual problem: one of the sides of the door that's supposed to be one of the door tracks is labeled and textured to be the other side of the door, meaning that it opens and shuts like the front of the door.

First, did you ROTATE the door into the proper orientation?

Next, is the area it's inserted in correct? IOW, you can't have the door "sides" be merged into a 2-sided area. The hallway should have 1-sided linedefs.

There's a detailed tutorial showing exactly how to use the prefab. Click on Help, then select "Tutorial QuickStart". Step-by-step and pictures even:)

Overall, once you understand doors, the quickest way is just to "draw" them in and make the necessary attribute settings required. Using the "Split" feature (as Fredrik suggested) is also a quick method.

Enter line drawing, positioning the cursor on top of the line (when cursor turns into a bulleye you are on it). Left click and put the cursor on the opposite line opposite. When it too is a bulleye, Left click again then Right click and select "3. Split Sector".

Repeat this for the 2nd Door side, but draw the opposite direction. Adjust the height to be -0- and set the linedef special to a door. Be sure to have the sidedefs pointing to the "outside". The little line tab sticking out in the middle of the line is towards the player (that's side 1).

Once you understand the basic mechanics, it becomes easy.

deep said:

First, did you ROTATE the door into the proper orientation?

Next, is the area it's inserted in correct? IOW, you can't have the door "sides" be merged into a 2-sided area. The hallway should have 1-sided linedefs.

There's a detailed tutorial showing exactly how to use the prefab. Click on Help, then select "Tutorial QuickStart". Step-by-step and pictures even:)

Overall, once you understand doors, the quickest way is just to "draw" them in and make the necessary attribute settings required. Using the "Split" feature (as Fredrik suggested) is also a quick method.

Enter line drawing, positioning the cursor on top of the line (when cursor turns into a bulleye you are on it). Left click and put the cursor on the opposite line opposite. When it too is a bulleye, Left click again then Right click and select "3. Split Sector".

Repeat this for the 2nd Door side, but draw the opposite direction. Adjust the height to be -0- and set the linedef special to a door. Be sure to have the sidedefs pointing to the "outside". The little line tab sticking out in the middle of the line is towards the player (that's side 1).

Once you understand the basic mechanics, it becomes easy.

Whoa, I didn't know it was that complicated, I just place two linedefs from one sector to another, and just click on the four linedefs that my door will be and click "misc" and "Make door from 4 linedefs" and it works perfect for me ^_^

Yup, you can also use that tool. I was promoting the basics.

IMO, it's best if one learns how to make a DOOR directly (or a lift). Helps understand the mechanics and in the end the total time spent is probably less, since when things don't work as expected (now when does that happen<g>) it becomes trivial to fix.

However, do whatever suits your style.

^_^ yep...

...I would practice on things like that but strangely enough, my puter keeps crashing and freezing when I do things in DeePsea, I'm lucky if I can select a lindef without my puter crashing, let alone create a sector...But its just my puter (I think), I probably have every virus that is known on my puter, somehow, but I dont kno of a way to get rid of em' so I'll just suffer and wait and get a new cpu, eventually, even tho this one is only like 9 months old...

If you think you may have a puter virus but you can still get on the net.

Go download one of the free virus scanners and give it a checkup.

Searcher said:

If you think you may have a puter virus but you can still get on the net.

Go download one of the free virus scanners and give it a checkup.

Thats great! Except for the part where my puter wont even start Windows when I have anytype of Anti-virus or Virus scan on it, and make note, being only 13, i dont Know everything about computers. But I suppose i could try, any suggestions as to which one would be the best to get?

Do a Google on Norton Antivirus. That one seems to work the absolute best for me.

Coincidence or not, but I just got a E-mail from Norton Anti-Virus place, apearntly they are having a sale for thier stuff...it looks good but *sigh* the drawbacks of being young...

My dad got Macaffe Viruscan on my comp-works fine. Not sure where to get it tho.

Ask someone with money.

K well, I d/led the Norton AntiVirus Pro 2003, and it works perfectly :D The strange thing is outta all 95760 files that were scanned, 0 viruses were found...I suppose my puter problems must be with my hardware...Thx for the help tho :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

my puter keeps crashing and freezing when I do things in DeePsea,

The current version is 11.66 - some sites have very old stuff (like here).

Make sure you have enough memory installed and have enough virtual memory. At least 64MB physical and at least 128MB virtual. Suggest IE5 or later (toolbars use a component installed by IE).