Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

FREEDOOM GENMIDI

how do you set ur doom game to sound like 1:05-1:55 E1M1 in this video???

it actually sounds the way E1M1 was suppose to sound since day 1..

Edited by vanilla_d00m

It's def worth it, it took me a little bit to figure out but it works mint. Really amps up the glorious oldschool vibe of Chocolate Doom.

Thanks! @xvertigox I didn't have that one. I've just been using Merlin's 8mb GM Plus13 (i think it's Creative based) as i find it sounds great for Doom as well as other MIDI's, as a general overall replacement i mean. For Doom (and PWAD's) i guess i can finally use this one although i don't know if many people actually made MIDI's with this in mind so who knows how it'll sound. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks bro,

Tried to get virtual midi synth, says I need service pack 3.  And I will just leave it at that... I get a error with service pack 3 too (Process ID/KERNEL32)

I'm ok with OPL3 

No prob, I originally got the SF from this thread. Big props to @Patch93 for it.

Edit:

1 minute ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Thanks bro,

Tried to get virtual midi synth, says I need service pack 3.  And I will just leave it at that... I get a error with service pack 3 too (Process ID/KERNEL32)

I'm ok with OPL3 

Have a look here

and here

I think your computer or laptop is way too old when, if you can't install some stuff. 

Edited by Misty

I believe vanilla_d00m stated in another post that they haven't updated their OS (Win XP) since 2004-ish so i doubt they have Service Pack 3 even installed (didn't that come out later?). Also, will Win XP still receive updates if you turn 'em on, up until the last ever official one i mean? If so, that might help a bit if you still want to use XP i mean. I think you can only choose to install the important ones (if i'm not mistaken) so you don't get a bunch of other crap. It's been a while since i've used XP so i'm not entirely sure...

24 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I believe vanilla_d00m stated in another post that they haven't updated their OS (Win XP) since 2004-ish so i doubt they have Service Pack 3 even installed (didn't that come out later?).

Also yes, if you check for updates I'm pretty sure it downloads everything ever released on WU, provided the hardware supports the installation.

Edited by seed

Why is the soundfont not just unpacked in the archive?

If you need an SFPack decompressor, go here.

Edited by Glaice

That's my video. I could answer your literal question but I think what you're really asking is "how do I make Doom's OPL music sound better?". My best suggestion is that you check out @Csonicgo's DMXOPL project:

I wan't the same exact one you are using at 1:05, it makes the level sound like... you are in the real E1M1.

Thanks for the recommendation, I tried gravis, midis, sc55, but this opl one really gives me goosebumps.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

I just tried another one of Csonicgo's projects..  v1.11

https://github.com/sneakernets/DMXOPL/releases/download/v1.11-Final/GENMIDI.op2

this one did the trick... it almost sounds like the one you have at 1:05

I just dragged the file and dropped it on zdoom exe, switched on java opl3

now im in E1M1.. HALFWAY TO THE REAL ONE :DDDdd

EDIT:

Dude... what did you download to make it sound like 1:05?? the one i downloaded got old quick.

:(((((((9

Edited by vanilla_d00m

On 5/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, Glaice said:

Why is the soundfont not just unpacked in the archive?

If you need an SFPack decompressor, go here.

Thanks! I only had sfARK and sfARKXTc (haven't had to use that one yet) and it wouldn't decompress it...Why do i need 3 different decompression programs for these damn soundfonts?