Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Herr Dethnout

IMAJANA - A Vanilla Single Level Challenging Map

Nice post, very clean. I had a quick jam but I got soft locked when the bars raise in the outdoor area (before you get any keys). I backed up over them as they were raising and had no way to lower them. You've got your secrets marked on the automap btw, you can tag those linedefs to show as one sided so they don't appear as doors. Same goes for monster closets. The map was fun up until I got locked out, if you release 1.1 or something I'll give it another go and upload my playthrough.

13 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Nice post, very clean. I had a quick jam but I got soft locked when the bars raise in the outdoor area (before you get any keys). I backed up over them as they were raising and had no way to lower them. You've got your secrets marked on the automap btw, you can tag those linedefs to show as one sided so they don't appear as doors. Same goes for monster closets. The map was fun up until I got locked out, if you release 1.1 or something I'll give it another go and upload my playthrough.

Thanks, I will check that to release a quick update.

Posted (edited)

Here's my playthrough with this updated version. I ended up dying to a brutal trap and called it gg. I like the feeling of this map, it feels reminiscent of E1 at times. My favorite aspect was the ammo placement. It was scarce but there was just enough to not fully run out (if you're careful). That combined with the dark areas made it feel quite tense at times.

As to what could be improved - You could do with some less linearity and more varied ceiling heights in a few places. The detailing was really cool in a few places then more sparse in others. There's some technical issues - missing lower textures, more bars you can get locked out of etc. You could also add the statusbar to map wad itself.

Edit: I also get weird sound playback as you can hear below, it doesn't happen in other wads though ?

Spoiler

Edited by xvertigox

On 5/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, xvertigox said:

Here's my playthrough with this updated version. I ended up dying to a brutal trap and called it gg. I like the feeling of this map, it feels reminiscent of E1 at times. My favorite aspect was the ammo placement. It was scarce but there was just enough to not fully run out (if you're careful). That combined with the dark areas made it feel quite tense at times.

As to what could be improved - You could do with some less linearity and more varied ceiling heights in a few places. The detailing was really cool in a few places then more sparse in others. There's some technical issues - missing lower textures, more bars you can get locked out of etc. You could also add the statusbar to map wad itself.

Edit: I also get weird sound playback as you can hear below, it doesn't happen in other wads though ?

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the feedback and playing.

About the missing textures, it was an intentional use of HoM (As in map 25 in Doom 2), but I suppose that in source ports with a defined missing texture can bring problems. I will upload a new version with that problems solved.

I put the map and the status bar in 2 separate files, mostly for people who want to use it in other WADs.

NEW UPDATE 5/12/19

*Fixed some missing textures.

*Added the missing lower textures in the yellow skull room, now it should work on Source Ports with a 
defined missing texture (Originally a was intentional use of HoM)

*Fixed a secret door that was unable to open.

*Added new details in areas where feel pretty empty.

*Changed the Bars Raise trap in a secret room for a "Door Wait Open" trap.

*Fixed the map's song and added some new effects, now it works flawessly in Vanilla!

*Added a Monster Ambush in a secret room.

*Fixed typos in the INFO file.

*Added a update DEMO (Vanilla).

-Due the use of a "Lower Floor" linedef to avoid the player to be stuck in the courtyard area, 
now every time that you crossed that area will reproduce a sound. I don't know how to fix that.

Download link in the OP

UPDATE 5/23/19 (Maybe Final)

*Changed some sector brightness 

*Added new details and two (pretty obvious) secrets! 

*Fixed some texture alignments

-Removed Demo, I will upload it later as separate File

Download link in the OP