Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KillPixel

Doom3 Models in Blender

I was just admiring some Doom3 assets and thought I'd share a bit here for those that find this stuff interesting.

Looks a bit bland. Can you import Doom2106 stuff?

2 hours ago, VGA said:

Looks a bit bland. Can you import Doom2106 stuff?

I imported doomslayer some time ago, but couldn't get many (if any) textures or animations :/

12 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

A bit more high poly than I was expecting.

Most of the Doom 3 (humanoid or bigger, in size) enemies are between 2 - 3k tris. First person weapons are about between 1.5 - 2.5 k too, the engine itself can handle that poly very well (and that was a really good number for a 2004 game) , the main problem in this engine was the lighting system, that was probably the main reason why everything used to run it like sh*t time ago when the game was released.

Maybe if you remember time ago when we used to play Doom 3 in our old PC, when many demons used to spawn at the same time that often lead to a considerable drop in the frame rate. Funny thing is that the main reason for this frame rate drop was because the light created when they spawn (teleport spawn with that pentagram in the floor), in BFG edition they noticed this and they make that light to not cast shadows to improve performance and it's one of the many reasons why BFG Edition runs more stable (talking about framerate) compared to original Doom 3 2004 edition.

//From void idRenderWorldLocal::UpdateLightDef

// new for BFG edition: force noShadows on spectrum lights so teleport spawns
// don't cause such a slowdown.  Hell writing shouldn't be shadowed anyway...
if ( light->parms.shader && light->parms.shader->Spectrum() ) {
	light->parms.noShadows = true;
}

Source: https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM-3-BFG/blob/1caba1979589971b5ed44e315d9ead30b278d8b4/neo/renderer/RenderWorld.cpp

Edited by Doommarine_maxi

On the topic of polycount, here's a comparison of the Doom3 and NuDoom Cyberdemons.  The new Cyberdemon is 10x more poly dense (44,803 vs 4,514).  The Doom3 Cyberdemon texture is 1024x1024, while just the head texture for the new one is 3840x3840.  I was listening to a zbrush panel discussion with some modelers from id and they mentioned how low the poly budget was.  Crazy.

It's interesting that more time has elapsed between Doom3 and NuDoom (12 years, 2004 - 2016) than Doom and Doom 3 (11 years, 1993 - 2004).  Maybe we can expect the next reboot around 2032?

Maybe no reboot at all. Just stick with a universe updating it with lore with each entry. Which I suppose will have a a new Doom game at a few years with id being owned by Bethesda.

Although from what they've done with the id games, and the rumours about MachineGames having a Quake reboot in mind, it's likely they'll also lend this ip to someone else. Although I don't like the idea.