Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Hexen characters for Heretic

Based on Kvellers' three separate character mods for Doom, I decided to make them for Heretic too.

I, like him, didn't make them into one mod because I also know very little of scripting.

HexHeretic.rar

Edited by Rince-wind : Updated File

I never expected someone to actually base a mod on something made by me LOL, especially considering how badly made it is. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I suppose :)

I noticed that you tried to define the Axe actor twice, one replacing the Crossbow and another one replacing the SkullRod. You can't have two actors with the same name, so GZDoom will take one of them and change its name, which in turn will cause the game to have a duplicate of Timon's Axe. This duplicate isn't defined on the player class, so the player won't be able to select it after picking it up, and even if you added the definition, why would you want the player to carry two identical weapons?

What you can do instead is to use a RandomSpawner that replaces the Hellstaff and always spawns a Crossbow, which in turn will be replaced by the Axe actor:

ACTOR AxeSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces SkullRod
{
	DropItem "Crossbow", 255, 1
}

I don't know if there's a better way to do this, but I just checked and it works just fine.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

I never expected someone to actually base a mod on something made by me LOL, especially considering how badly made it is. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king, I suppose :)

I noticed that you tried to define the Axe actor twice, one replacing the Crossbow and another one replacing the SkullRod. You can't have two actors with the same name, so GZDoom will take one of them and change its name, which in turn will cause the game to have a duplicate of Timon's Axe. This duplicate isn't defined on the player class, so the player won't be able to select it after picking it up, and even if you added the definition, why would you want the player to carry two identical weapons?

What you can do instead is to use a RandomSpawner that replaces the Hellstaff and always spawns a Crossbow, which in turn will be replaced by the Axe actor:

ACTOR AxeSpawner : RandomSpawner replaces SkullRod
{
	DropItem "Crossbow", 255, 1
}

I don't know if there's a better way to do this, but I just checked and it works just fine.

Thanks for responding, I replaced the file with an updated one, enjoy!

Hello!The mod looks great, at least with the Fighter, because whenever I try to play as the Cleric or the Mage I get this error:

Script error, "HereticCleric.pk3:decorate/clericweapons.txt" line 11:
Unexpected character: ï (ASCII -17)

or

Script error, "HereticMage.pk3:decorate/mageweapons.txt" line 23:
Unexpected character: ï (ASCII -17)

Is there any way to fix this?

On mardi 14 mai 2019 at 3:34 AM, KVELLER said:

You can use MAPINFO to define the editor numbers, so that multiple numbers all link to the same item. Saves you the trouble with replacing items. The drawback is that it won't replace items that are dynamically spawned (by being dropped by monsters, or spawned by scripts, etc.) but this concern shouldn't apply to weapons in Heretic anyway: there's no scripts in vanilla Heretic, and no monster that drop weapons in the fashion of the Doom shotgunner and chaingunner.