Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Community Help Requested: Glowing Red Rock Touchup

HDB4A0.png.29e0040b925da458e5d9104ecc4035f2.pngHDB4B0.png.5ca0483608f9721e92f44d5af72491b3.png

I'm trying to create glowing red rock sprite for DVII. Above are the two frames in question.

It looks a bit flat, and I'm struggling to make it look right.

I did the best I could, but I'm not a talented sprite artist like Urthar, Mechadon, or Wereknight... 

I'm hoping some more talented sprite artist can come by and make it look less flat.

Community help requested. 

I think the trick is:

• Imagine a light source behind the player in a diagonal position. In your sprite, it looks like the light source is at 2 o'clock (above, and to the right). This is good.
  • So, slightly lighten the upper-right of your sprite, and darken the area below and to the left.
  • You've actually done this to some degree. Maybe keep doing it.

Honestly, I think it looks pretty good. I'm no artist, but I like it :)

I agreed with kb1, it looks fine generally. The only thing that looks off is the perspective, which

looks more suited to an isometric game. For Doom you want something more like this:

Perspective.png.352f630cc4b010c6655c6d9a2195d48f.png

I'm busy doing a lot of sprite work at the moment, so I can't really help out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 10:08 AM, Urthar said:

I agreed with kb1, it looks fine generally. The only thing that looks off is the perspective, which

looks more suited to an isometric game. For Doom you want something more like this:

Perspective.png.352f630cc4b010c6655c6d9a2195d48f.png

I'm busy doing a lot of sprite work at the moment, so I can't really help out.

Agreed - It's almost like it's a very skinny rock, propped up against a fence! Maybe simply stretch it in the horizontal dimension (East/West). Maybe that's enough.

Edited by kb1

Building off of what kb1 said, it doesnt look like it was drawn with any perspectives in mind. I would try redrawing it in a 2 point perspective, with the two points being east & west.

7 minutes ago, Rhebiz said:

Building off of what kb1 said, it doesnt look like it was drawn with any perspectives in mind. I would try redrawing it in a 2 point perspective, with the two points being east & west.

Don't mind me - I'm clueless in such matters...I was just thinking a MSPaint stretch!:

Stretched.PNG