Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Tool Concert Imagery Looks Like Ancient Aliens

I realize this is both random and pointless, but so is most of the internet.

Anyway, Tool played in St Louis last night, and their set list included two songs off the forthcoming album.  For the record, both songs sounded amazing, but I was equally struck by the fact that the background imagery and light displays *really* reminded me of @skillsaw's Ancient Aliens (lots of teal/pink, and a pyramid silhouette against an orange-red sky).  Anyone out there see the show?  Thoughts?

More generally, has real life inspired any Doom-level flashbacks?

Certainly the first time I've ever seen someone associate concert visuals with Doom.

Tool is fucking awesome, BTW.

Got any photos? I'm curious! I'm pretty damn excited for the new album, it's about bloody time they released something! :P

Can't wait to see them at Download festival, one of the few rock bands from my teens that I still really love.  It's a bit of an unfortunate move to do their first European tour in over a decade before releasing the album.  Hope they do another round afterwards.

The footage I've seen from this tour looks great and I like Descending as much of anything off 10000 days. How long did they play for?

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Got any photos?

As is typical, the band was very adamant that no one take any pics/video (though they relaxed that restriction on the last song); consequently, I don't have anything to show related to my original topic.  Here's a shot from the finale:

image.png

4 hours ago, holaareola said:

The footage I've seen from this tour looks great and I like Descending as much of anything off 10000 days. How long did they play for?

It was my first time hearing the new stuff, and it was incredible.  All told, they played for 2.5 hours or so (9:00 to 11:30) with a 12 minute break before the final 3 songs.  I was a tad disappointed they didn't play "Sober" / "The Patient" / "Right In Two" but it was a phenomenal experience.

2 and a half hours, holy hell. That's excellent to hear.

Also glad to hear they encourage people not to get their phones out.  It's disheartening to be standing amongst a load of people at a concert who aren't even fully there because their attention is on framing the concert in their fucking phone for people on the internet. Take a few pictures for the memories, sure.

But thank you to those same people for recording the whole of Descending so I could get to know the song, haha.

Cheers for the reply, my anticipation's already out of range with the gig weeks away!