Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

To the creators of the ZDoom/Chocolate/PrBoom/Vavoom & Crispy source ports

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

id like to give a donation to the creator of these source ports, I used these and finished ultimate doom for the first time with them.

 

and please forgive me as I was trying hard to test every source port out.

 

post paypal handle here

 

EDIT: 

 

Might as well donate to the founder of doomworld.com because if i didnt find this site, i would of not completed my childhood game.

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Share this post


Link to post

Good, you can also donate to GEC team for bringing the GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition... oh wait... we don't have PayPal and we, GEC team don't need any donations :)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Lol

 

I only got to try ZDOOM (had problems with GZ).... its was the best source port for me for completing ultimate doom for the first time since i first played it on 1995-1996 on snes.

 

The sound is enhanced on these ports.. like its stronger.

 

Being able to choose a sound device while in the game made it even more cool.

 

ZDOOM 2.6.1 for me.  with opl emulation. 

Share this post


Link to post

Wow! So you are a veteran. Great! When I first played Doom was in 2008 on snes emulator... Since then, it became the most played game in my life haha. Now I have an original copy of Snes Doom along with PSXDoom/Final Doom and Doom 64

I still play Snes Doom when I got some free time.

Share this post


Link to post

Going to doomworld.com and not having completed not even "1" doom game made me feel like i don't deserve to lurk the forums :)

Share this post


Link to post

I'd just like to point out that most source ports have more than one author, although usually there has been one lead person who has driven the direction of the port. Chocolate Doom is unquestionably @fraggle's baby, for example; it has also had approximately 50 other contributors over its lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

50?? wow 

 

I'll donate to DOOM RETRO (even though i never got to test it because it always crashes on me) just because of the name "DOOM RETRO"

 

If hes ok with it lol

Share this post


Link to post

I do know that Realm667 accepts donations. Its a site which hosted by Tormentor667 which contains a repository for custom assets that are used many doom wads and mods.

 

https://realm667.com/index.php/en/

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Going to doomworld.com and not having completed not even "1" doom game made me feel like i don't deserve to lurk the forums :)

You have a right to be on the forums because you are human! (and not a troll) Don't be silly.

 

And, I can't speak for other developers, but if you want to contribute to port developers, one of the nicest things you can do is to make a map using a specific feature of the source port. Or, just make a map that the developers can enjoy. Or, just make map that everyone can enjoy.

 

Or, just play some maps :) Do any developers need any more than that?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

50?? wow 

 

I'll donate to DOOM RETRO (even though i never got to test it because it always crashes on me) just because of the name "DOOM RETRO"

 

If hes ok with it lol

 

For a long living open source project that is open to external contributions, 50 is not much. GZDoom has 116 distinct contributors listed in the Git changelog, but there's several more from times before Git where these has to be merged manually and the contributors to the recent translation effort who are only listed in the text documents' changelog but not in Git. Everything added up that's possibly 150+ people.

 

And never forget that source ports also contain quite a bit of external code. If those count as well it may be even more.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

 

For a long living open source project that is open to external contributions, 50 is not much. GZDoom has 116 distinct contributors listed in the Git changelog, but there's several more from times before Git where these has to be merged manually and the contributors to the recent translation effort who are only listed in the text documents' changelog but not in Git. Everything added up that's possibly 150+ people.

 

I don't know if this is your intention or not, but this came across very salty. I think 50-ish for Chocolate Doom is pretty impressive. Considering: it's a niche project with strict coding standards and a well defined but narrow philosophy on what changes to accept. GZDoom, by contrast, is a much more popular (and older) project with — crucially — a wider remit in terms of what people can contribute.

 

14 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

GZDoom has 116 distinct contributors listed in the Git changelog

 

git shortlog -sn | wc -l ⇒ 130, with some duplicates (Christoph Oelckers versus coelckers, Randy Heit vs Marisa Heit). If you wanted to fix those you could add a mailmap (here's how: https://shane.io/2011/10/07/git-shortlog-and-mailmap.html)

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Jon said:

 

I don't know if this is your intention or not, but this came across very salty. I think 50-ish for Chocolate Doom is pretty impressive. Considering: it's a niche project with strict coding standards and a well defined but narrow philosophy on what changes to accept. GZDoom, by contrast, is a much more popular (and older) project with — crucially — a wider remit in terms of what people can contribute.

 

50 for CD is indeed impressive, I merely wanted to state that such numbers can be expected when an open source project runs for many, many years and just list another example. I'd guess when checking Eternity you'll also find a similar number - I can't check that on my current computer because I don't have it cloned here.

 

 

47 minutes ago, Jon said:

 

 

git shortlog -sn | wc -l ⇒ 130, with some duplicates (Christoph Oelckers versus coelckers, Randy Heit vs Marisa Heit). If you wanted to fix those you could add a mailmap (here's how: https://shane.io/2011/10/07/git-shortlog-and-mailmap.html)

 

Yes, 130 altogether minus 14 known duplicates makes 116. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Might as well donate to the founder of doomworld.com because if i didnt find this site, i would of not completed my childhood game.

 

I mean, if you want to randomly gift me money, sure paypal@andrewstine.org

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

 

50 for CD is indeed impressive, I merely wanted to state that such numbers can be expected when an open source project runs for many, many years and just list another example. I'd guess when checking Eternity you'll also find a similar number

 

 

Remarkably (to me) Eternity comes out at 16. There's some prime opportunity for new contributors there :)

 

Doom retro at 24 and Crispy Doom at 58, both of which sit on top of Chocolate and so share many of the patches/contributors. Doom Retro must have a weird workflow because I know I have code in there (they cherry picked my pitch shifting code from chocolate) but I'm not in the author list from git shortlog

 

Edit: … still time for me to get commits into Eternity *and* GZDoom :)

 

Edited by Jon

Share this post


Link to post

Donations sent to ReaperAA and Linguica.

 

I really tried my best to give back the best that I can, it may not be much but its something :)

 

You guys did alot of work to keep the game alive, you all deserve it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jon said:

Remarkably (to me) Eternity comes out at 16.

 

Only 16! Its a shame that Eternity is so underrated

 

16 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Donations sent to ReaperAA and Linguica.

 

I think u meant Tormentor (he is the one who runs Realm667). I am just a forum member like u :)

 

EDIT: I should mention that u can also donate some money for Jimmy(James Paddock). He is an active modder and composer. He has made many MIDI's (soundtracks) for modern wads and he even created his own game in gzdoom called "The Adventures of Square".

 

 

Edited by ReaperAA

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Going to doomworld.com and not having completed not even "1" doom game made me feel like i don't deserve to lurk the forums :)

Go on! Complete the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Gerardo194 said:

Go on! Complete the others.

 

 

I would If I can play the game without motion sickness.  It's really bad on my part. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, vanilla_d00m said:

does he have paypal?

 

Well I don't know about that. He has a patreon and he has Ko-fi (Ko-fi is for one time donation). Maybe u can ask if he has paypal in case paypal is the only way u can donate.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

I would If I can play the game without motion sickness.  It's really bad on my part. 

 

Experimenting with movebob and FOV values in GZDoom/ZDoom might help with motion sickness.

 

In the console type "movebob 0" to disable movebob.
Experiment with different FOV values, such as "fov 100".

 

The default movebob is 0.25 and default FOV is 90.

 

In GZDoom, you can also find view bob settings in the display options:

hG9gs3W.png

 

Also in GZDoom might be worthwhile to try out different render modes found in the SET VIDEO MODE menu.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, vanilla_d00m said:

does he have paypal?

Are you rich? I'm just saying...get your money's worth, and play the tens of thousands of Doom mods out there! (Do a search on "best WADs", "favorite levels", etc.)

 

Check out the Cacowards

Check out 25 Years of Doom

 

But, yeah, I hear that motion sickness can be rough. Can you think of anything that might improve it for you? I suppose you are playing with "uncapped frame rate"? (Original Doom updated the screen a maximum of 35 times per second. 'Uncapped frame rate' increases this as much as possible, resulting in a more fluid movement which may help).

Share this post


Link to post

What controls do you normally use to play?

It could be that turning around with keyboard/gamepad might be more disorienting since you have less control over the turning speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kb1 said:

Are you rich? I'm just saying...get your money's worth, and play the tens of thousands of Doom mods out there! (Do a search on "best WADs", "favorite levels", etc.)

 

Check out the Cacowards

Check out 25 Years of Doom

 

But, yeah, I hear that motion sickness can be rough. Can you think of anything that might improve it for you? I suppose you are playing with "uncapped frame rate"? (Original Doom updated the screen a maximum of 35 times per second. 'Uncapped frame rate' increases this as much as possible, resulting in a more fluid movement which may help).

 

 

Am I rich?? i dont think so... im running windows XP.... can barely run classic doom (sometimes my computer runs really slow and have to shut it off and turn it on again) still live with my parants, only have 5 different types of clothes, shoe lace belt.

 

I'm giving back to the people that created the programs i used... im not giving trillions of dollars or something.

 

like 2-3$ or even 1.

 

I gave jimmy a donation even If I didn't use any of his content.

 

I would love to play mods but i cant because the motion sickness.  I'm okay with just having only completed ultimate doom.  IMO... ultimate doom is the best in the doom series.

 

Ive tried everything to fix the problem, not everyone is ment to play these type of FPS games.  BUT I did complete Ultimate DOOM. 

 

Not really into mods :)

Edited by vanilla_d00m

Share this post


Link to post

If i was rich... i wouldnt be at doomworld... i would be at the arcade and spending much of my time at that place.

 

I believe in karma though... if you stayed a good person ur life the best that you can, the universe will give back or help you in someway you wouldnt understand. 

44333.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

Am I rich?? i dont think so... im running windows XP.... can barely run classic doom (sometimes my computer runs really slow and have to shut it off and turn it on again) still live with my parants, only have 5 different types of clothes, shoe lace belt.

 

I'm giving back to the people that created the programs i used... im not giving trillions of dollars or something.

 

like 2-3$ or even 1.

 

I gave jimmy a donation even If I didn't use any of his content.

 

I would love to play mods but i cant because the motion sickness.  I'm okay with just having only completed ultimate doom.  IMO... ultimate doom is the best in the doom series.

 

Ive tried everything to fix the problem, not everyone is ment to play these type of FPS games.  BUT I did complete Ultimate DOOM. 

 

Not really into mods :)

 

 

1 hour ago, vanilla_d00m said:

If i was rich... i wouldnt be at doomworld... i would be at the arcade and spending much of my time at that place.

 

I believe in karma though... if you stayed a good person ur life the best that you can, the universe will give back or help you in someway you wouldnt understand.

Sorry if I offended you. Your donations are very noble (and quite rare, be that as it may.) Now, had you won the lottery...boy, oh boy, do I have a deal for you :)

 

I was a bit slow about the motion sickness thing - man, what a bummer :(. Have you had any success trying to watch Doom demos? There's tons of uploaded demos which are fascinating to watch, and I'm thinking that, because you're not actually playing, maybe they won't induce motion sickness. (here's to wishful thinking for you, at any rate.) I think people like you are good to have around here, so I'm trying to find other reasons for you to stay :) I guess that's a bit bizarre, no?

 

I also believe in some degrees of karma:

Creating voids in which you provide a space for good..., or, consequently evil, to exist. With care, I believe you decide which.

Also, every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I don't believe that being a good person will cause the universe to do right by you. But I think it helps :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I only intended to give back to the creators and the main brains of the stuff I used on this site.  Watching a demo of somebody playing any FPS is even worse then actually playing.

 

Sigil... I hope it does better then my crappy donations I gave out to some of you and makes you all satisfied. 

 

(I really tried on my part here) 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I think its safe to close this thread now, crispy,prboom/v8voom don't wan't donations.

 

Good luck all with you're new content from john romero thats coming.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/17/2019 at 6:04 AM, vanilla_d00m said:

Watching a demo of somebody playing any FPS is even worse then actually playing.

I wish I could help. First, I would have to understand the problem, but I can't (no common ground). Without me being able to understand what such displays do to you, and what causes the problem, I don't know how to begin. If you do manage to figure it out, and you think about it, please let me know what you discover.

 

How about while watching television - does TV ever cause you motion sickness? If so, what show? Movie theaters? How about looking out the car window while traveling quickly?

 

I'm just curious at this point. As for Doom source ports, it would really cool if there was a renderer that specialized in reducing motion sickness. Some FPSes have settings to simulate motion blur, with some implementations better than others. If done right, the blur actually serves to smooth out the jerkiness of high frame rate video, like a camera would naturally, while filming an action movie.

 

Anyway, best of luck to you!

Share this post


Link to post

@kb1 In VR lowering the fov by occluding peripheral vision is sometimes used to reduce motion sickness (normally while sprinting). I'm not sure if that holds true for 2D screens but it could be something to look at given the speed of Doomguys movement.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×