Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Petition to remake GOT Season 8 exceeds 500,000 signatures

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Just to add some context, Season 8 cost roughly 90 million American dollars to make. The entitlement on display here would be hilarious if it weren't so depressing. 

As far as what it is that everyone is so pissed off about:

Spoiler

Do you people not realize that Daenerys Targaryen has always been a bloodthirsty tyrant? She even promised the governing body of Qarth that she would burn cities to the ground. But because of the fact that she's mainly been depicted in a sympathetic light, and has eliminated so many reprehensible characters, it's inconceivable for many that she was ever capable of slaughtering innocent women and children. Her romanticization isn't entirely unlike the way people tend to romanticize Alexander the Great, who was also a bloodthirsty tyrant. 

Daenerys' actions aren't as irrational as people are claiming them to be, either. Daenerys has become increasingly isolated by those around her, and she knows that the people will never love her the way that they love Jon. She always wanted to rule the world with love, but she realizes that will never be possible. Fear has always been a powerful weapon used to control the masses. It's only a matter of time before Westeros learns of Jon's right to the throne, so from a purely strategic perspective, I can understand why Daenerys would want to firmly establish herself as someone not to mess around with right from the start. 

Personally, I've rather enjoyed this season. I really like the grim and apocalyptic tone the show has now taken on. Sure, it's nowhere near as nuanced and immaculately well-written as the first four seasons, but it's a heck of a lot better than season 7.

I see it refers to the writing.

Hm, ironic, I've been talking with some friends today about GoT and they also cited the fact that the writing had only gotten worse after the first few seasons, especially now because it's supposedly no longer following the books.

I can't say anything about it myself, as all I've watched so far are the first 2 seasons and a few episodes from the third, but I dropped it afterwards as I felt the pacing was a bit too slow for my taste (that, and the fact that the main reason I started watching the show in the first place was out of curiosity to see what it's all about after getting tired of hearing about it on almost a daily basis).

That being said, I can't say I don't get the point of the people who want it to be rewritten, though it's obviously not going to happen and they don't care about what the consequences could be. If any of that is true it has all the chances to be a lackluster final season and thus not ending on a high note.

@seed Funnily I think the pace picked up when it stopped following* the books. Then again I'm 2 seasons late now.

*: The series has always diverged with the source material on quite a few parts, and apparently the directors got to adapt the books precisely because they guessed an uncharted plot twist right, in front of Martin. The latter then did gave his input as to what the late seasons should do, if his books weren't all published by then.

always thought this show was fairly spoiler-proof cos the dialogue was the main attraction to me

guessing i'm wrong though =P people seem to go mad over events and plot and that stuff seems fairly grim and badly acted compared to the talking scenes

got mad at the seventh season because the spoken parts just became so much worse and am not interested who lives or dies anymore

As with The Last Jedi, the petition to remake GoT S8 is such a childish gigatantrum that it loops around from being annoyingly obnoxious to absolutely hilarious. I can't wait to see the results (AKA absolutely nothing)!

Off topic but what the hell is going on with the spoiler in the first post? Is it broken for anyone else?

I'm not a hater of the seasons and outcomes but a critic, I am.

I think the first seasons were so slow moving (but I loved them) the last couple seasons changed the speed so quickly it seems off and lazy, especially when it's wrapping up. At the end I was hoping to see a situation with the King Slayer having to make a tough decision to become a Queen Slayer for the greater good and the White Walkers being a near Apocalypse tier and reaching much further south resulting in everyones only hope is at the mercy of the Queen (which leads to the Queen Slayer issue) however everything just gets concluded.

As for Daenerys matter, I get it and accept it but the turn felt too quick for me. Some more cracks in a longer period of time would have satisfied me. I knew she was a emotional power hungry bitch but I saw her giving in to mercy and reason moreso than rage, with the guidance of her advisors. And when she had the city in the palm of her hand she had to go full crazy it puts King Geoffrey to shame. I get why though just the leading up to it I'm not convinced.

12 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Off topic but what the hell is going on with the spoiler in the first post? Is it broken for anyone else?

If, by broken you mean giant space before the text at the bottom, yes.

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

Not factoring in taxes, that's enough money to purchase 7,563,025 tacos at Taco Bell. 

Off-topic, but what kind of taco bell charges $11.90 for a taco? Is it good/worth me not just buying a box of 12 regular tacos?

This is when I get to be invulnerable to all this drama by proudly saying I haven't given a crap about Game of Thrones.

Now if HBO actually goes back and does the last four seasons of Carnivàle, holler at me.

27 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Off-topic, but what kind of taco bell charges $11.90 for a taco? Is it good/worth me not just buying a box of 12 regular tacos?

I think I might have misplaced a decimal. 

40 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

This is when I get to be invulnerable to all this drama by proudly saying I haven't given a crap about Game of Thrones.

I never quite got the logic of being proud of missing out on something that brings millions of other people joy. 

I know we all do it, it seems to be human nature, but I've never understood why we do. Some kind of "look at me I'm special" kind of thing?

I don't think they're gonna waste their time reshooting everything a second time doing the same thing a second time..

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I never quite got the logic of being proud of missing out on something that brings millions of other people joy. 

I know we all do it, it seems to be human nature, but I've never understood why we do. Some kind of "look at me I'm special" kind of thing?

Means you get to avoid foaming and frothy fanbases that'd do shit like start up a petition to get a whole season of the multi-million dollar show reshot, for starters...

Ah yes, only the most pressing matter in the world today. I propose we make our own Game of Thrones Season 8. That'll show the big wigs at HBO. I theorize it will be a resounding success, not unlike the wonderful Episode 8 remake!

Spoiler

Episode 3 of Season 8 has been the largest nosedive in a show's quality I've ever seen, though I don't watch much TV to be fair. After that, and the buffoonery that was Episode 5, I honestly don't care what happens at this point in the finale. Then again, my investment in the show only comes from watching it for so many years, and not because of any genuine care for the characters. I was at least expecting something resembling good battles with tactics and satisfyingly heroic deaths, but even that was denied.  

The show has taken a dip since season 4. It had its highlights long after in the form of penultimate episodes but this time everything just seems silly. 

I have 0 familiarity with the show so take this with a boulder of salt, but apparently the “outrage” has something to do with some monster that was meant to be a metaphor representing climate change/pollution just being effortlessly killed, when the whole show (and books) were written to make it seem like such an enemy should have to be taken down with thoughtfulness and cooperation, instead it was just like “lol ur stabbed and ded now” or something like that? I mean, it makes sense I guess, climate change is a problem that is going to require complex, demanding solutions, there is no proverbial knife we can just “kill it ded” with. (Not that we’re going to do anything about it anyway, we’re just gonna sit back and drown in our own filth, but that’s neither here nor there)

Is this even accurate though? I have no clue, this is just how it was explained to me, as I said I have 0 familiarity with the show.

HBO loves throwing away money with Vynil. Then again so does Netflix with the Get Down.

As for Game of Thrones, it was always a struggle to watch. 90% of talking and nothing happening with the last 5 minutes that get interesting to keep you watching. It was always terrible, but I guess there are no other medieval shows with 50+ million dollar budgets so people don't have a choice. It's either that or pray for a Hercules reboot.

The Game of Thrones has always been about its shock value.

*Spoilers ahead!*

The reversal of Ed Stark's 'mercy' and Joffery having his head removed and then making his daughter stand there and look at it.

Ayra Stark, the youngest protagonist in the series becoming the most lethal assassin of all the protagonists.

The sudden chopping off of Jamie Lannister's hand.

Charles Dance being killed in the privy.

One of the dragons being killed and being turned into one of the undead and it bringing down the Wall.

And overall, no one ever knowing what is going to happen to any of the protagonist characters until it has happened, it usually always happening as a complete surprise.  The episode 'The Red Wedding' for instance?  Who in the hell saw that coming?

From the beginning, the Game of Thrones has been almost ridiculously predictable and boring story-telling.  You'll sit, almost completely bored to tears, through nearly every episode.  The only thing it ever really had to keep audiences coming back for more, was its unexpected and often shocking moments.  That and well the fact that they pulled no punches when it came to nudity and the like, too.  Lots of tits and even swinging cocks everywhere, oh my!

The Game of Thrones, in my opinion, was made to keep people on the edges of their seats.  It gave us characters to love, then slaughtered them.  It gave us three magnificently done dragons, then killed two of them.  It gave us this slip of a girl queen and led everyone to believe that she was going to be this wonderfully magnanimous ruler.  Then just blatantly reversed it on everybody.  It is a pattern with them.  They've enjoyed building up audiences then shocking the hell out of them.  It was never good story-telling, not from the beginning and never evolved into it.  The Wheel of Time is better.  Hell, even Lord of the Rings is better.  It's emotions yanking.  That's all it really was from its beginning, and what it has pretty much remained throughout.

Edited by Barefootstallion

2 hours ago, geo said:

As for Game of Thrones, it was always a struggle to watch. 90% of talking and nothing happening with the last 5 minutes that get interesting to keep you watching.

I found Season 1 to be genuinely interesting because of the focused narrative with Ned as the protagonist. After that, it became too much like a fantasy-themed soap opera with too many plot lines advancing at the speed of a snail. An episode would devote 5-10 minutes to one of the many plot lines and leave me feeling like nothing happened after a whole hour. And we barely got any action in the earlier seasons, with major battles fading to black and then presenting a shot of the aftermath. The dead in the north was basically the plot line that kept me watching, and to say the conclusion to that was unsatisfying would be an understatement. Warcraft had a better undead plot.

5 hours ago, SamuelNMEvander said:

People still do petitions? 

Annoyingly often, and for all sorts of shit.

It's interesting how boring people find GoT. Personally I enjoyed the "boring" bits. Every character interaction, plan, reaction etc has some form of entertainment value.

I like the politics, tensions and characters enough that surprises aren't needed.

24 minutes ago, Chezza said:

It's interesting how boring people find GoT. Personally I enjoyed the "boring" bits. Every character interaction, plan, reaction etc has some form of entertainment value.

I like the politics, tensions and characters enough that surprises aren't needed.

If anything i like them more than the action scenes as action scenes are a dime a dozen these days.

Especially the scenes with Tywin Lannister in them, just brilliantly acted and they have just as much tension as any action scene you see.

25 minutes ago, Chezza said:

That I can agree with.  They did do quite an in-depth study in human nature and interactions for the show, didn't they?  It made nearly every episode make you feel like you were sitting down to a steak dinner with fine wine.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

To an extent, I also enjoyed the parts where the characters and their relations with each other and the world was explored, but what ruined it for me was how god damned slow was the pacing early on, so my interest in the show was never revived.

1 hour ago, vinnie245 said:

Especially the scenes with Tywin Lannister in them

I loved how they first introduced the character.  He was pulling the guts out of a deer he'd apparently just killed! :D  That kind of set the mood for what kind of character he was going to be from the get-go.

Apart from that, though, Tywin Lannister was played by Charles Dance.  He is a premier actor.  So you can pretty much figure he is going to play his role superbly.  Every scene he was in was great.  I was truly floored by him, though, when he was shot by Peter Dinklage's character.  Any actor who can pull off being shot to death in the privy with aplomb deserves respect.  Demands it.  Even commands it.

Here's to hoping we see more of Charles Dance in good dramas in the future!