Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Petition to remake GOT Season 8 exceeds 500,000 signatures

6 hours ago, Barefootstallion said:

The Game of Thrones has always been about its shock value.

From the beginning, the Game of Thrones has been almost ridiculously predictable and boring story-telling.  You'll sit, almost completely bored to tears, through nearly every episode.  The only thing it ever really had to keep audiences coming back for more, was its unexpected and often shocking moments.  That and well the fact that they pulled no punches when it came to nudity and the like, too.  Lots of tits and even swinging cocks everywhere, oh my!

The Game of Thrones, in my opinion, was made to keep people on the edges of their seats.  It gave us characters to love, then slaughtered them.  It gave us three magnificently done dragons, then killed two of them.  It gave us this slip of a girl queen and led everyone to believe that she was going to be this wonderfully magnanimous ruler.  Then just blatantly reversed it on everybody.  It is a pattern with them.  They've enjoyed building up audiences then shocking the hell out of them.  It was never good story-telling, not from the beginning and never evolved into it.  The Wheel of Time is better.  Hell, even Lord of the Rings is better.  It's emotions yanking.  That's all it really was from its beginning, and what it has pretty much remained throughout.

I think the first few seasons were good storytelling, and not in general so predictable as you say.  I enjoyed the looming threat of the undead and the very human indifference to it, all the politicking at Kingstanding, Varys and Littlefinger's throneside chats, the unfairness of how power operates. It sort of reminded me of a medieval Sopranos. 

But yeah, for sure it loves the twist and is fairly mechanical in how it keeps people on the edges of their seats as you say.   I think this amount of formula is a necessary feature of really big-budget mainstream media in general. But isn't it forgivable if it makes sense at least?  It did, at one point, but swapped sense for spectacle quite a while ago now. The writing is sloppy, the plotting is idiotic. It's as if they get fixed on a setpiece they want to include and then write their way backwards to ram it in, instead of looking at the current situation in the world and writing outward with the ripples of recent events.

Totally agree on Tywin, what a great character. Played with such ferocious but contained authority. That voice!

Spoiler

At least Joffrey the 3rd Euron is gone. His addition the lowest of many recent lows for the series.

The petition will most likely have over 1,000,000 signatures by this evening. This is embarrassing. All of the people on social media and Youtube championing this as a virtuous and subversive movement should hang their heads in shame. 

Edited by Ajora

This is absolutely ridiculous, and the people who think that HBO is going to spend millions of more dollars to recreate a season that they didn't like just because of a petition are beyond delusional.

2 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

This is absolutely ridiculous, and the people who think that HBO is going to spend millions of more dollars to recreate a season that they didn't like just because of a petition are beyond delusional.

I watched like the first and sixth seasons of GOT and have a loose grasp on the rest from all the water cooler talk, but I haven’t watched this season. But from what I’m reading is it safe to describe Danaerys as this decade’s prequel Anakin?

This petition is pointless to be honest. It’s now done and we can move on.

in all honesty the last season was rather underwhelming and a low point of the series. But then again this is not the first tv series to do this though here it seems the lack of source material which is still being written was part of the issue. Then again the hook of the books and in a way the tv series was never really the big battles which was clearly where the effort was made in the final season.

I want to want to say something about the series finale, but I don't feel much beyond plain indifference. In hindsight, I can now more clearly see all of the problems that plagued season 8, and while I was generally entertained by it, it still feels very rushed, and the finale offered little emotional satisfaction. I still stand by the decision to turn Daenerys into a villain (I think Emelia Clarke's performance noticeably improved once she fully let loose), but this was hampered by the fact that mad queen Daenerys was killed almost as soon as she appeared.

expecting a decent quality product for your money/support is not entitlement.

with that said, I don't think the petition will have any effect, but it's a perfectly valid means of expressing yourself.