Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xit-vono

doom2 30nm tricks

I've been working on improving my routes by incorporating new tricks, but there are some that I don't know how to do. I think I have a handle on map13 and map16, but I don't know how to do the jump on map14.

The jump on lv14 requires that doomguys hitbox overlaps with the wall, simply colliding with the wall isn't enough. So you'll need to move parallel with the wall using vertical mouse movement, because this gives you a small amount of momentum towards the wall allowing you to get closer to it. Eventually the distance is 0.000000 units, or exactly 16 units from the wall to doomguys center coordinate.

It's best to start just slightly turned towards the wall while using vertical mouse movement forward, and then switching to facing as straight forward as you can and using vertical mouse movement again, and don't move forward too quickly. It does also depends on direction and so it's forward if you are facing away from the elevator like I do, if you face the elevator you need to start facing slightly away from the wall and use vertical mouse movement backwards instead.

You will know if you are close enough to the wall if you run against the wall and your weapon moves up and down quicker, like when you are running at full speed. I'd recommend perhaps trying this to get the yellow key on map 05 of TNT from the starting area, as that's pretty much all there is too it.

The next part is to lower the elevator while you don't lose contact with the wall, which can be slightly annoying because sometimes you can bounce off from the wall. Then just get in the corner and you'll need to stop moving just for a while, because if you are always moving you might not actually be close enough to the corner for the trick to work consistently. Once that's done you simply need to find the right angle and use SR50.

Hmm I think this is what I was trying, but I just haven't managed to find the right angle yet. I can usually get some kind of wallrun, but it leaves me just short. Also, I use novert so maybe I have to approach the wall with sideways movement. So it is just as simple as get close to wall and use SR50 at the right angle? And I assume that you have to be close enough as if you are doing a glide.

Yeah if you use novert then I think the best option would be to face straight away from the wall and drag the mouse left slowly with strafe on (you can also face the wall but then you can't see the respawns), I find that a bit slower, but I never tested it much. Close enough in this case is being perfectly close to the wall, I don't think it's possible to wallrun if that's not the case so it sounds like you got that part. And yes the rest is just finding the correct angle and holding SR50 as the elevator goes up, it's not something you need to time or anything.

This is probably pointless from a speed run perspective but could you kill enemies through walls by using the BFG and having it fire right as you clip through the wall doing a key grab or something similar? I turned on noclip at the end of e1m8 after you go through the teleporter and while slightly out of bounds behind the death room I fired a BFG shot and the tracers actually hit the enemies through the wall.

Thanks for you help. The trick I was missing is that it is necessary to come to a stop to get closer to the corner.  I think the next trick I need help with is the map22 bars glide.

map22 is quite simple, you only need to hold run forward once everything is in place. Standing between the 2 middle bars, the left edge of the right bar should be in the middle of the column between the armor and ammo on the hud. It's a little bit difficult to explain the exact position here, the left edge of the right column can be 1 pixel wider or smaller, it should be easy to see what I mean if you just run into the gap a few times. It needs to be the smaller one for the glide to work. If you have the wider one you can use strafe on and turn left with the mouse to adjust it, while holding run forward.

Once everything is in place you eventually go through by just holding run forward, however it doesn't always work and it's possible to see when that's the case. If the weapon movement is smooth then it works, if it is shaking rather quickly then it won't work, so you just strafe right and hold forward again and start over if that's the case. It's probably best to just mess around with this to understand what I mean, the most important thing is to have the correct angle though.

For map24 I switch to the pistol after firing a BFG to my left on 30nm to clear out any lost souls, there might still be a chance you can get blocked somehow, but I don't think I ever failed it since I started firing the BFG in this way. I turn the pistol so that its tip is aligned with the right edge of the entrance platform to the area (so this is the correct angle). Then I move right towards and along the wall until the top of the elevator disappears, that should then be the right position.

Then you simply need to SR50. Now this can be done in 4 different directions, so you don't need to be facing this particular way. The reason I do so is because it is easier to hit A,S,F at the same tic then say W,A,F to do SR50, if you don't hit them at the same time (so you for example get 1 tic SR40 into SR50) the trick will most likely fail, and that has cost me several attempts before.

By the elevator, do you mean the teleport pad? I think I have some Idea what you mean, but I don't have my system set up to do SL50.

ah yes, teleporter pad of course, my bad. you'll need to use one of the other angles then which works exactly the same way. Just turn either 90 degrees to the right or 180 once you've gotten into the right spot and just see what works for you.

Thanks, I think I have a setup that works the majority of the time now. I will have to modify it to avoid unnecessary turning because I used your tip to point the pistol at the starting platform.

I have a quick question that probably could be answered by experimenting. Is it necessary to be close to the wall like in map14 or is it good enough to just push up against it and find the right horizontal position+right angle+instant strafe50?

Btw, if you are using using DOSbox, you have quite heavy disadvantage performing the tricks consistent. It is because DOSbox is laggy, and not precise enough how it handles the input.