Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rescue86k

Doom Open World 1 map

Recommended Posts

Have you hit any technical limitations doing this yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

This looks like a cool idea.

If you are reaching the technical limits maybe it would make sense to make use of hexen/strife map transitions.

Edited by Ferk

Share this post


Link to post

This is an awesome idea!!! To bad there's yet no download link to try it!

I'm looking forward to this!

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Glaice said:

Have you hit any technical limitations doing this yet?

 

I did have trouble with Doom Builder saving the project due to nodes. Had to exclude secret level and omit Romeros new levels. I've experienced no lag using Nueral 2X scale. Im limited by the ultimate doom IWAD. I wanted this on Doom 2 for longevity reasons, so it can include later maps. Not sure if there's an easy way to convert or plug something in.

 

I've avoided ACS scripting (learning it), although I might need to in the future. I would like the keys spawned in 4-20 locations, per each, per building(4-20 possible locations of yellow/red/blue key) Wanted it to be a search and find. Also would want infinite lost soul respawning, (outside), to put pressure on locking up the windows. Then a lightly orange/red fog ambience, that applies to outside. 

 

There's another issue. I couldn't get doom UDMF format to work. I needed it appearently for captive marines you can rescue. The format seems to offer dialogue and more interactivity with the environment. 

 

I haven't dug into it yet, but if its possible will attempt to make music switch when you enter the next building. I think that will really boost the feeling of still playing episode 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, rescue86k said:

I did have trouble with Doom Builder saving the project due to nodes. Had to exclude secret level and omit Romeros new levels. I've experienced no lag using Nueral 2X scale. Im limited by the ultimate doom IWAD. I wanted this on Doom 2 for longevity reasons, so it can include later maps. Not sure if there's an easy way to convert or plug something in.

 

I've avoided ACS scripting (learning it), although I might need to in the future. I would like the keys spawned in 4-20 locations, per each, per building(4-20 possible locations of yellow/red/blue key) Wanted it to be a search and find. Also would want infinite lost soul respawning, (outside), to put pressure on locking up the windows. Then a lightly orange/red fog ambience, that applies to outside. 

 

There's another issue. I couldn't get doom UDMF format to work. I needed it appearently for captive marines you can rescue. The format seems to offer dialogue and more interactivity with the environment. 

 

I haven't dug into it yet, but if its possible will attempt to make music switch when you enter the next building. I think that will really boost the feeling of still playing episode 1.

 

You should switch right now to using Doom 2 as the base game, but first make sure to put these textures in your .wad file: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152/607-doom-textures-for-doom-ii

 

ACS scripting is really easy and it's worth learning, soon you will do many tricks that you couldn't do previously without it.

 

What's the problem? Is there some error message that stops you from editing/playing the map?

 

Changing the music mid-level is easily possible, using the ACS special https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetMusic

 

Also, will this be compatible with Zandronum? Would be really cool to play with a bunch of people. If it doesn't use too many new-ZDoom effects, then can i make an Odamex/ZDaemon-compatible version when it's out?

Share this post


Link to post

I play online myself. I would want it online compatible. I'm halting the progress on building the map and attempting to convert it to doom 2 now. Will update when more substantial progress.

Share this post


Link to post

Converting to Doom 2 was quick and easy. 

Changing the format to UDMF throws this error in Zdoom and GZdoom applications. Can't test run map.

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

 

You should switch right now to using Doom 2 as the base game, but first make sure to put these textures in your .wad file: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152/607-doom-textures-for-doom-ii

 

ACS scripting is really easy and it's worth learning, soon you will do many tricks that you couldn't do previously without it.

 

What's the problem? Is there some error message that stops you from editing/playing the map?

 

Changing the music mid-level is easily possible, using the ACS special https://zdoom.org/wiki/SetMusic

 

Also, will this be compatible with Zandronum? Would be really cool to play with a bunch of people. If it doesn't use too many new-ZDoom effects, then can i make an Odamex/ZDaemon-compatible version when it's out?

 

Okay ignore last post. Map appears to be converted to Doom 2 and UDMF format now. 

 

You can make versions for compatibility. I'll do testing in only Zandronum.

 

EDIT: If you want, I'll send you a demo in a few weeks so you can test it online. Yes weeks, a big map. I'll need reports on fps during online play.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rescue86k said:

If you want, I'll send you a demo in a few weeks so you can test it online. Yes weeks, a big map. I'll need reports on fps during online play.

While i would like to, unfortunately there's severe electricity and internet connection issues stopping me from doing so. Sorry about that :/

 

If anything, i guess i can test it with bots on a pretty slow machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I updated the images and added 2 audio files for veiwing. I recommend listening to the audio files (now in original post with links) to get a better idea of whats going on. I don't like cutscenes myself, so its generally interactive.

Spoiler

You'll be on an elevator moving down and seeing a congregation, half way through the map. 

And so then the audio file with the demon voice plays, and it will be timed out appropriately. 

 

My days off are over, back to work. I may seem dormant at times, but will keep the map images updated, which will show the progress. 

Share this post


Link to post

Okay I uploaded a video so somebody has something to look at! I'm just maintaining course. Its slow progress, but I guess a month or so into it, its not bad what have so far. Most all landscaping and connections done. More focused on giving the map content now. Content is a broad term, just means shooting things and finding keys isnt the focus to win. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×