Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey i just played your level. very nice detail and room geometry, but the gameplay is a bit easy on UV (if you wanted to make it harder without changing too much the gameplay, you could remove some health and armour for that difficulty). here is my FDA gameplay (0 deaths 100/97/100)

keep it up, this map is good, especially for a first level :)

This is rather good for a first map. There's really nothing that jumps out as n00bish at all, even if some parts are a touch tropey, and some parts are a touch grindy. The layout is simple but it works for the most part. There's attention given to lighting. There's thought behind the encounters. There are some intentional uses of sound block lines. Nice job.

A few pieces of advice:

• Find a way to have sector 114 open up to sector 47/45 (perhaps something with tag 15). Right now it's a bit too much of a backtrack to the exit in my opinion. 
  • Eliminate some enemy types in the last big encounter. It's too easy for them just to infight each other to death. 
  • The secret I found was probably too generous, a plasma gun, a megaarmor, some rockets, and leading me straight to another soulsphere secret
  • Especially for vanilla mapping, it's often a good idea to put your trigger lines at odd angles and/or use more than one of them. This is because these trigger lines are fairly easy to "skip" when SR50ing or even standard straferunning (but apparently it's much less likely if they are at an angle). But if you do double up your lines, be sure to consider the implications of activating the action twice.

Not bad at all.  I enjoyed the design overall.  Some of the encounters were more annoying than difficult.  The revenants suffered from too many corners to make effective.  I enjoyed the walk out the end the map.  Nice touch.  I'd love to see a second map start in the hallway.

Overall I enjoyed it.  Keep it up!!!!

This is amazing for a first map. Really goes to show how much doom mapping standards have improved over the years.

Solid map dude. There was a good diversity in the architecture - you've got a good grasp of the mechanics of Doombuilder. There were a few misplaced armor pickups, they partially ended up on the ledge next to them. The texture use could use some work. There's too many colors IMO (prominent R, G, and B), it'd be cool if you used red to accent the rest of the level (red comp textures rather than green). Having the red area next to the green area created too much contrast, the colors didn't fit IMO. I'm sure someone else can articulate that better than I can.

It was strange that there were lights in the dark watery passage that didn't give off any light.

Difficulty wise it was quite easy. That's not a bad thing but some more varied monster placement could make the map more dynamic/interesting i.e getting attacked on multiple sides rather than funneling through hallways, having an arena to strafe around etc.

There's too much ammo around, I never really had to be thoughtful with my weapon choice or ammo management.

Great work, I'm keen to see what else you put out.

Spoiler

Here's a demo of my playthrough: attechgate_fda.zip

Notes:

- As others said, quite easy, but that's fine. I agree with darkmaster that it could do with less health and armor on UV, though, since I had a distracting amount of health resources lying around. :D

- For example, the nukage secret is excessively generous, I think, especially since it's not very hidden. Just a soulsphere or just a plasma rifle would be a good reward there, instead of both of those plus blue armor. Might also be cool to have an ambush monster or two back there to make the nukage more dangerous.

- The demons that open up after getting the blue key would be better if they weren't set to ambush, I think. They'd be able to pressure the player more if they all wake up when the player shoots.

- Might be cool to have more rockets and less of the other types of ammo, because the map is rather cramped and makes the rocket launcher exciting to use.

- Very good for a first effort; I'm looking forward to more!

Really fun stuff here! Felt like a combination of doom 1 and 2, classic shit.

i don't have any advices, just saying that this is freakin' good for a first map!

ah, no, wait, i lied! i think revenants need some arena, it is too easy to hide behind the corner, and then shoot them point blank. that is, i don't know how arena can fit into existing design of the map (it prolly won't), but revenants need more open space, i believe. maybe even a room with pillars, and put revenants on pillars, so the setup can work as "rocket cannon arena".

also, red key trap is far too easy, i think: i only had to dance around a little, and then i left with baron, and two half-dead knights. piece'a'cake! ;-)

2 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

How do you guys make doom levels?

you need a level editor like doombuilder X, or GZDoombuilder_bugfix... there's ample tutorials to get started with the basics, and if you have specific questions there's an entire subforum dedicated to those.

For a "still learning how to map" first effort this is really good and genuinely enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to see what else you might come up with in the future.  :)

One thing I would suggest is flipping linedef 473 and assigning it a door action - otherwise it's possible for the player to go into the secret rocket launcher closet and then get stuck when the door closes behind them.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:27 AM, xxWeNxx said:

Any advice will be nice.

This is my "2 cents" from one amateur to another:

1. Take the time to list and learn the hotkeys. It will save you hours of your life and make mapping more enjoyable and productive. 

2. Don't compare your work to anyone else's - especially around here ; )  I watched a well known mapper's stream the other day. Now i feel like getting a new hobby. LOL. Some Doom mappers have INSANE mapping skills and they make AMAZING maps. Don't compare your maps to theirs, you'll just get the "my map sucks" blues. (like i do sometimes)

3. Try to learn a new trick every now and then. Like Slopes or Portals etc. There's plenty of mapping information here and on YouTube. It all adds up in the end. Learning a new technique could give you 10 extra ideas for your map!

4. Just keep going and have fun. Try to make the kind of map that you'd want to play. After a few maps you'll come to see that you have your own distinct style and something unique to offer. Everyone's got their own style, if only they are inspired enough to find it. 

Your map looks cool BTW. I'll play it on the weekend. 

Very nice map, i couldn't say it's very first for author. You should fix Rocket Launcher room, if you get closed - you will not escape. Also i missed Arch-Viles.

Hello, so i have played your WAD, and must say, i enjoyed it very much! For a first a map, it was very good. I do some mapping too and im not near your level, very good! You keep up and give us more!

Cheers!