Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AwesomeO-789

Unfinished Map for Those Interested to Tinker With/Finish - Taggart Strikes Back

Posted (edited)

I've had this map sitting on my hard drive for 3 years, I started it in January of 2016 and it hasn't been edited since September 18th that same year. Chances are I'm probably pretty biased obviously but I honestly think it's a pretty fun map to play through as it is right now, and I think it had some really great potential, I had some really awesome ideas I was looking forward to in this map but I simply don't have enough time these days to map for Doom. 

Sadly I doubt I'll ever be able to go back and finish it because, like I said, I've moved onto other non-Doom related projects and I'll be busy for a long while with those + day to day life in general. So I thought I'd stick this up on here for anybody who might be interested to maybe mess with or finish and make it into their own baby.

• Taggart Strikes Back is an open-ended, play-how-you-want map which tasks you with getting access to the red key to end the level. Pretty standard stuff right? 
  • The main attraction I think is in the design philosophy of the map. You're given a big, wide-open area to explore and you can choose which paths you want to take first. Besides the (intended) three main objective pathways, there are also a couple of non-essential areas filled with goodies to find. I was inspired by the design of the Foundry level from Doom 4 in particular. 
  • The map makes use of GZDOOM features such as 3D floors, some basic coloured lighting as well as scripting. This opens the door for some fun puzzles and little extras to complete. Some simple "dynamic" music also features heavily. There's a few custom enemies and sprites thrown in there as well.
  • Ammo for the more powerful weapons is scarce and players must exercise strong caution and skill to go toe-to-toe with the bombardments of powerful enemies that will challenge you in the various combat scenarios
  • It's not the most traditional Doom experience but I think that's where the fun factor in this map comes from. 

Like I said it's not finished, if I had to guess I'd say maybe 1/3 of the map is done. Some of the texturing is a bit shoddy too. This aside, my average playthroughs clock in at about 11-12 minutes before there's nothing else for me to do. 

Please don't misinterpret this as an "I'm Lazy! Finish My Map For Me!" post. I really believe I made a pretty decent start with this and that it has some good potential for an interesting and fun experience for people to make out of it. If you're at all interested, please give it a quick look and playthrough. Let me know if you have any other questions and I can hopefully answer them if I still remember all the specific details lol. 

IWAD: Doom 2

ENGINE: GZDoom (Jumping or crouching is NOT expected, free-look helps but is not mandatory)

BUILDER: GZDoom Builder

ALSO USED: SLADE WAD Editor

FILE SIZE: 11.8 MB

ZIPPED FILE SIZE: 8.39 MB

Note: The WAD is called "Taggart Strikes Back Full 8 MAPS" but there's only 1 map in this unfinished version lol. I was planning 8 but obviously that didn't happen.

MOCK-UP TRAILER I made in 2016 using voice clips from Mad Max Fury Road (lol): 

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

image.png.db6b7744e25169c494be276cbf081b98.png

image.png.1605c8d9d8070b444d814cd77171665a.png

image.png.20e949938e7c89d70b0b7f3ad915a47d.png

image.png.2c1e83e704b16e88f2074be0da10633b.png

image.png.401c255a5daf655b3ae0f5764250d844.png

image.png.0e93d01654c5a85e0fbf95afca00010d.png

image.png.69077aba65b1344d8f5abe074e627c99.png

image.png.d4a0e37b9deed7f4a48192234a9b230e.png

STORY: