Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

Hexen Rebalanced - A subtle balance mod for Hexen [Beta 4]

Posted (edited)

Hello folks. I had been working on a Hexen balance mod for some time and I even created a thread to discuss about Hexen balance suggestion.

And now I have decided to release my very first mod named "Hexen Rebalanced" (suggestions for a better name are welcomed)

This is a balance mod for Hexen that adds a variety of minor tweaks and balance changes, which make the game less tedious and more fun/engaging. I made this mod after being inspired by Wayfarer's Tome and decided to make a similar mod for Hexen.

Get from Here: Hexen Rebalanced Beta4a.zip (Tested with both GZdoom and Zandronum)

Older versions:

As the mod is in beta, I would like to get feedback about how to improve the mod's balance before releasing next beta

Changes from Hexen:

Player Weapons:
- Fighter's flechettes have more range and travel speed.
- Buffed mace's damage from 25/35 to 45/55. It kills ettins in 4 hits now. Its range(reach) is also increased to that of Timon's Axe.
- Slightly reduced radius of Sapphire Wand projectile. This means that they can pass through smaller gaps.
- Sapphire Wand projectile has missile height fixed so that tracers don't appear lower. The animation of projectile death and tracers also sped up.

- Sapphire Wand projectile has its radius slightly reduced to match the visuals.
- Increased projectile speeds of Hammer of Retribution and Serpent Staff.
- Damage amount and radius of Firestorm's circular side projectiles increased.

- Firestorm's rate of fire slightly reduced to compensate for its firepower.
- Frost Shards cost 2 ammo instead of 3 and its rate of fire + damage is also increased. Enemies also shatter immediately.
- Frost Shard's projectile have readjusted dynamic lights to reduce performance impact.
- Faster travelling and faster damaging arc for Arc of Death.
- Quietus consumes 10/10 mana instead of 14/14 mana and its rate of fire is also slightly increased.
- Quietus projectiles have now "Fire" DamageType property.
- Bloodscourge consumes 12/12 mana instead of 15/15 mana.
- Bloodscourge projectiles have been redesigned. They no longer pierce through enemies. Instead they now do damage on a big radius upon impact. Most effective against group of enemies clumbed together.

Enemies:
- Afrit, Chaos Serpent and Bishop have slightly more damaging projectiles (more damage on average).
- Centaurs/Slaughters have their shielding duration almost halved (reduced from 45 tics to 25 tics).
- Centaurs/Slaughters have their speed increased from 13/10 to 16/14 respectively and their mass increased from 120 to 150.
- Centaurs/Slaughters make a slight leap forward when performing a melee attack.
- Centaurs/Slaughters take 25% more damage from fire based attacks.
- Slaughters have increased delay after they raise their shield before they fire their projectile.
- Bishops have 20% faster moving projectiles and their homing capability has been slightly improved.
- Bishops have their health reduced from 130 to 110.
- Green and Brown Chaos Serpents have their health increased from 250 to 280.
- Brown Chaos Serpents' projectile do 40% less direct damage on average but they now cause poisoning over time.
- Stalkers and Stalker bosses have slightly increased delay after emerging before attacking.
- Stalkers and Stalker bosses have increased pain chance from 90 to 128.
- Afrits take 30% less damage from fire based attacks and 50% more damage from ice based projectiles.
- Wendigos take 30% less damage from ice based attacks and 50% more damage from fire based projectiles.
- Wendigos have slightly increased firing windup delay.
- Heresiarch as been completely redesigned. He now has following main attributes:
   - Health increased from 5000 to 10000.
   - Takes 25% less damage from fire based attacks and 35% less damage from electric based projectiles.
   - Pain chance is now 0.
   - His shielding effect has been removed.
   - He moves around more and slightly faster.
   - Disiples do not infight with him.
   - His abilities have been completely reworked. He now has five different attacks/abilities
   - His 1st attack is the stream of purple projectiles like before. Except they now move faster and target the player instead of the ground infornt of him
   - His 2nd attack is firing 6 blue energy balls in a single horizontal patern. Each of these divide into smaller and smaller balls.
   - His 3rd attack is firing 5 lightning arcs of death.
   - His 4th attack is firing a seeking/homing soul.
   - His 5th attack is spawning 3 Dark Bishops.
- Korax has been partially redesigned. He now has following main attributes:
   - Health increased from 5000 to 8000.
   - Takes 25% less damage from fire based attacks and 35% less damage from electric based projectiles.
   - Pain chance is now 0.
   - Speed increased from 10 to 12.
   - Now has greater chance of triggering an event/commanding.
   - He has a new attack which is firing 6 blue energy balls from each of his arms one by one. Each of these divide into smaller and smaller balls.

Props:
- Small and Large shrubs cannot be targeted. This is to prevent autoaim from targeting them when player did not intend to attack them.

Graphics/Miscellaneous:
- Included Neoworm's widescreen friendly graphics.
- Included Virtue's brightmaps.
- Brightmaps of crystal vials, quartz flask and flechette from Nightfright's brightmaps plus.
- Implemented a KEYCONF lump that adds a section to the Configure Controls menu in GZDoom to let you bind keys for inventory items.

To Do List:
- Get feedback about balance issues and to further improve balance.
- Get ideas about how to change Sapphire Wand without making it even more boring.

- Get feedback about rebalanced Heresiarch and Korax (and improve if needed).

Known Issues/Bugs: None.

Credits:

- Balance changes by ReaperAA.
- Widescreen graphics by Neoworm.
- Brightmaps by Virtue.

- Brightmaps of crystal vials, quartz flasks and flechettes taken from NightFright's brightmap_plus.
- R4L for telling me about using SBARINFO to implement custom 4th weapon pieces on HUD/Statbar.
- Not Jabba for making Wayfarer's Tome that inspired me to make a similar mod for Hexen and for also making use of Wayfarer's credits file as a template ;)

Feel free to use anything from the mod. Just give proper credit to the other guys (I don't mind if u don't credit me for this).

Edited by ReaperAA

Posted (edited)

Beta 2 has been released. I did not intend to release this so early (since beta 1 was released only 3 days ago) but the Quietus item pieces not showing on the HUD really bothered me (I have fixed it) and I have also managed to implement KEYCONF lump for inventory items.

So here it is: Hexen Rebalanced Beta2.zip

It has following changes from Beta 1.

Weapons:

- Quietus mana cost further reduced from 12/12 to 10/10.

- Shards projectiles from frost shards do roughly 30% more damage on average.

Enemies:

- Reverted faster projectiles of afrits from beta 1.

- Stalkers and Stalker bosses have slightly increased delay after emerging before attacking.

Props:
- Small and Large shrubs cannot be targeted. This is to prevent autoaim from targeting them when player did not intend to attack them.

Graphics/Miscellaneous:
- Implemented a KEYCONF lump that adds a section to the Configure Controls menu in GZDoom to let you bind keys for inventory items.
- Included Virtue's brightmaps.

Bug fixes:

- Fixed Quietus item pieces not showing on HUD/Starbar.

Hi, I signed up mainly just to say, nice work, you're doing a lot to make Hexen more fun to play, same with The Wayfarer's Tome, its kind of amazing how much better these games are just with some small gameplay tweaks. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, hybridial said:

Hi, I signed up mainly just to say, nice work, you're doing a lot to make Hexen more fun to play, same with The Wayfarer's Tome, its kind of amazing how much better these games are just with some small gameplay tweaks. 

As a newbie modder, it really makes me happy that u liked the mod. If u have any suggestions to improve the mod, don't hesitate to share. 

I am going to release Beta 3 in a few days which will improve boss enemies. I have already revamped Heresiarch and given him new types of attacks.

Edited by ReaperAA

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I am going to release Beta 3 in a few days which will improve boss enemies. I have already revamped Heresiarch and given him new types of attacks.

Ha cool! Look forward to replaying Hexen with this. The puzzles can be a real pain in the ass on first playthrough (I think it took me 10 - 12 hours first time playthrough WITH looking up gameplay vids from time to time lol) but its definitely up there as one of my favorites. Thanks for putting this together:)

Good news for Zandronum users. I just tested it on Zandro yesterday and found 1 bug that prevented it from loading. I have now fixed the bug and mod will now work on it from Beta 3 onwards.

Beta 3 has been released. The 2 main highlights are Zandronum compatibility and redesigned bosses (Heresiarch/Korax).

So here it is: Hexen Rebalanced Beta3.zip

It has following changes from Beta 2.

Weapons:

- Fighter's flechettes have more range and travel speed.

- Frost Shard's projectile have readjusted dynamic lights to reduce performance impact.

Enemies:

- Centaurs/Slaughters have their speed changed from 15/15 to 16/14 respectively.

- Centaurs/Slaughters make a slight leap forward when performing a melee attack.
- Centaurs/Slaughters take 30% more damage from fire based attacks.
- Slaughters have increased delay after they raise their shield before they fire their projectile.

- Stalkers and Stalker bosses have increased pain chance from 90 to 128.
- Afrits take 30% less damage from fire based attacks and 50% more damage from ice based projectiles.
- Wendigos take 30% less damage from ice based attacks and 50% more damage from fire based projectiles.
- Heresiarch as been completely redesigned. He now has following main attributes:
   - Takes 30% less damage from fire based attacks and 20% less damage from electric based projectiles.
   - Pain chance is now 0.
   - His shielding effect has been removed.
   - He moves around more and slightly faster.
   - Disiples do not infight with him.
   - His abilities have been completely reworked. He now has five different attacks/abilities
   - His 1st attack is the stream of purple projectiles like before. Except they now move faster and target the player instead of the ground infornt of him
   - His 2nd attack is firing 6 blue energy balls in a single horizontal patern. Each of these divide into smaller and smaller balls.
   - His 3rd attack is firing 5 lightning arcs of death.
   - His 4th attack is firing a seeking/homing soul.
   - His 5th attack is spawning 3 Dark Bishops.
- Korax has been partially redesigned. He now has following main attributes:
   - Takes 30% less damage from fire based attacks and 20% less damage from electric based projectiles.
   - Pain chance is now 0.
   - Speed increased from 10 to 12.
   - Now has greater chance of triggering an event/commanding.
   - He has a new attack which is firing 6 blue energy balls from each of his arms one by one. Each of these divide into smaller and smaller balls.

Graphics/Miscellaneous:
- Added brightmaps of crystal vials, quartz flask and flechette from Nightfright's brightmaps plus.

Bug fixes:

- Changed the code for Cleric's mace that prevented Zandronum from working before.

Posted (edited)

Beta 4 has been released. The main highlights are bug fixes, coding optimizations and balance chances. 

Get from Here: Hexen Rebalanced Beta4a.zip

It has following changes from Beta 3.

Weapons:

- Bloodscourge consumes 12/12 mana instead of 15/15 mana.

- Bloodscourge projectiles have slightly less damage radius.

- Sapphire Wand projectile has missile height fixed so that tracers don't appear lower. The animation of projectile death and tracers also sped up.

- Damage amount and radius of Firestorm's circular side projectiles increased.

- Firestorm's rate of fire slightly reduced to compensate for its firepower.

Enemies:

- Afrit, Chaos Serpent and Bishop have slightly more damaging projectiles (slightly more damage on average).

- Green and Brown Chaos Serpents have their health changed from 220 and 300 respectively to 280.

- Brown Chaos Serpents' projectiles have their poison damage reworked and improved. Screen now also becomes green tinted with poisoned.

- Wendigos have slightly increased windup delay before firing. This makes them less BS on skill 5.
- Heresiarch's attacks have increased windup delay before firing. This makes him less BS on skill 5.
- Korax's health reduced from 10000 to 8000.

- Korax and Heresiarch now take 25% less damage from fire based attacks and 35% less damage from electric based projectiles.

Bug fixes:

- Fixed dynamic lights of Afrits, Heresiarch and Korax.

Edited by ReaperAA

Posted (edited)

And of course I messed up. I forgot to remove the damage line from Sapphire Wand's definition after testing. In Beta 4, it did higher damage than intended. Also I have slightly reduced Firestorm's ROF as a balance change because it felt a bit too powerful. The link in OP and the above post has been updated with Beta 4a.

Edited by ReaperAA