Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

Hexen Rebalanced - A subtle balance mod for Hexen [Beta 7]

Played through Hexen on latest GZDoom with v7 and modified bosses, Mage, UV (Warlock in Hexen terms), no save scumming where possible, 1920x1080 with OpenGL rendering. No crosshair, though, gotta draw the line somewhere I guess. This rebalance is a godsend, I can't imagine going back to vanilla. With the (totally deserved) blanket praise out of the way, I have a few thoughts to share about my experience:

First, I played thoughtfully (i.e. less Doom-like), moving methodically and considering the "best" tool for each situation, but I rarely felt the Sapphire Wand was the right answer. The range limit is an excellent idea, please keep it because it promotes closer-quarters gameplay instead of tedious sniping, but maybe the afrit could be weak to the Wand instead of/as well as Frost Shards, to encourage some reason to pull it out. Then again, maybe not; maybe the Sapphire Wand is only a backup weapon now that Shards is a blast to use. Can't decide how I feel about it.

That brings me to the second thought, good Frost Shards. I am so into that. I gave so many icy high-fives this playthrough, it was epic. Truly the most versatile Mage weapon, and it feels so... so cool B-) but hypothetically, let's say Wraithverge's business end is in my back and I'll get ghosted until my ribs pop open if I don't find some nitpick. Fine: this playthrough, I had at least one Krater of Might at all times, with five of them in tow at the end of Necropolis. I never felt I had to compromise because of resources. I would meditate further on whether Frost Shards needs a mana reduction after all. I'll report further after I play Deathkings.

Arc of Death, I love you, and I love to hate you. It's so good except for when it sucks. That's part of its identity, which I've decided is practically perfect in every way.

Bloodscourge is a more compelling value proposition while still being expensive. Still costs more mana per kill, while dispersing groups faster, plus the ever-present possibility that it will mostly whiff if used irresponsibly. I am exactly on-board as you have it. Hypothetical ghosts would just be a fact for my ribcage, because I have no nitpick to save me from my rib-popping fate.

Centaurs... exquisite, they are so much more fun now.

The modified bosses are a welcome change to Hexen's lackluster boss offerings. However, the first Heresiarch did not get replaced properly because the HeresiarchNew and KoraxNew classes were defined more than once. This issue might only apply on the latest GZDoom. Script warnings popped up in the console. I switched the order that the wads load, which fixed the Heresiarch in Heresiarch's Seminary, but messed up the second Heresiarch and Korax. I would guess this happens because the Seminary Heresiarch might be spawned via ACS, but the Gibbet Heresiarch and Korax are probably pre-existing entities on their maps. Not sure what to recommend for fixing this.

Next up, Mage in Deathkings. Then Cleric all the way through. Then Fighter. Cheers!

6 hours ago, Lord Boarmont said:

The modified bosses are a welcome change to Hexen's lackluster boss offerings. However, the first Heresiarch did not get replaced properly because the HeresiarchNew and KoraxNew classes were defined more than once. This issue might only apply on the latest GZDoom. Script warnings popped up in the console. I switched the order that the wads load, which fixed the Heresiarch in Heresiarch's Seminary, but messed up the second Heresiarch and Korax. I would guess this happens because the Seminary Heresiarch might be spawned via ACS, but the Gibbet Heresiarch and Korax are probably pre-existing entities on their maps. Not sure what to recommend for fixing this.

Thank you for the feedback and the bug report. It has been quite a while since I touched/played with the "modified bosses" file. I'll look into it in the upcoming weekend.

Also can you explain how they were not working, especially when the modified bosses file is loaded after the main mod file (as this is the load order I recommend)? Is it something like the Heresiarch in modified file not replacing the original Heresiarch?

First, I played thoughtfully (i.e. less Doom-like), moving methodically and considering the "best" tool for each situation, but I rarely felt the Sapphire Wand was the right answer. The range limit is an excellent idea, please keep it because it promotes closer-quarters gameplay instead of tedious sniping, but maybe the afrit could be weak to the Wand instead of/as well as Frost Shards, to encourage some reason to pull it out. Then again, maybe not; maybe the Sapphire Wand is only a backup weapon now that Shards is a blast to use. Can't decide how I feel about it.

Well yeah I pretty much want the Sapphire Wand to be a backup weapon that should be used for conserving ammo (like how Fighter's and Cleric's starting weapons are their backup weapons). Of course vanilla Hexen usually provides enough resources that you may not even need to rely on the wand much. But I think that in Deathkings or some custom mapsets that are ammo stingy, the Sapphire Wand may get more use.

I would meditate further on whether Frost Shards needs a mana reduction after all. I'll report further after I play Deathkings.

Your not the first one to say this. Though I personally think that the mana consumption is fine now. It takes 4 mana to kill an ettin now, the same amount it takes to kill an ettin using the Timon's Axe or Serpent Staff. In original Hexen, it took 6 mana to kill an ettin at melee and 9 mana to kill it from shards (even if all shards connect).

Still I may try experimenting with it more (like experiment with making it consume 3 ammo again but slightly increase the damage so that regular centaurs can also be 2 shotted).

11 hours ago, Lord Boarmont said:

Ok so I decided to reproduce this issue on my end and so far I haven't come across the issue. I will test this more later.

So far what I did is that I used GZDoom 4.5.0 (latest version) and I loaded the modified bosses file after the main mod file. I use a batch file that has this command:

gzdoom.exe -iwad HEXEN.wad -file Hexen_Rebalanced.pk3 Hexen_Rebalanced_Modified_Bosses.pk3

After that I used cheats (god mode, no clip, map etc.) and went through the necessary puzzles/triggers in the chappel maps of HUB 3 to summon the Heresiarch in Heresiarch's Seminary. That Heresiarch worked fine (he behaved and attacked according to the modified bosses file). Then I tested the Hersiarch in HUB 4 by directly going to Gibbet and no clip to get in his room. The Gibbet Heresiarch also worked fine there (he attacked according to the modified bosses file) . So both Heresiarch worked fine for me.

Well, now I'm I wondering if there was some user error before I got to the seminary, I could have fat-fingered the path initially. To run it, I modified a Windows shortcut to include the files. I will try to reproduce it and give you more details.

Welp, I played through hubs 3 and 4, and the modified Heresiarch worked as intended. Disregard the bug report, I assume I had an incorrect path to the modified bosses pk3 at the time.

Funnily enough, the Bloodscourge's fireballs explode on contact if playing deathmatch!
This is a much-needed rebalancing of Hexen's flaws. Been using it for most of my Hexen plays now!

5 hours ago, Koff3Katt said:

Funnily enough, the Bloodscourge's fireballs explode on contact if playing deathmatch!

This applies for both singleplayer and deathmatch. This change is deliberate as the original Bloodscourge's fireballs did unreliable amount of damage when they had their ripper property. At times, even ettins would not die to it.

Glad you are enjoying it. 

45 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

This applies for both singleplayer and deathmatch. 

Yeah, it's a welcome change especially for us Mage mains! For that, though I was talking about in vanilla/chocolate does the Bloodscourge actually hit on contact only in DM. Weird Raven changed it to rip in singleplayer...

25 minutes ago, Mangudai said:

Hello,
have you stopped working on this? 

Hello Mangudai. Nope I have not :D

I just released Beta 7 about 2 months ago.

This is good to hear, I will be playing this soon (I hope). I discovered it by chance because I was looking for new mods for Hexen with the search function.

I can't promise to give you feedback soon (these days I kinda played a bit too much), but one day...

So you just basically made fighter even more overpowered and noobish, while made mage even more worthless by removing his only somewhat useful gimmick of pierce and by ruining the only good weapon he had?

That's a big no from me.

On 2/14/2021 at 4:09 AM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

So you just basically made fighter even more overpowered and noobish, while made mage even more worthless by removing his only somewhat useful gimmick of pierce and by ruining the only good weapon he had?

That's a big no from me.

Ok I just read this now. Thank you for the feedback.

However I feel the need to mention that Fighter actually got the least buffing among the 3 classes. For the most part, fighter's weapon are still pretty much the same.

On the other hand, while it's true that Mage's starting weapon is nerfed (which by the way is actually a range nerf, you can still pierce enemies with it), his other 3 weapons are buffed quite a bit. The frost shards in particular got a MASSIVE buff.

This was done to make sure that Mage's starting weapon isn't his only "good weapon" (as you stated) and make him depend more on his higher tier weapons to get the job done.

Also lastly I would state that the balance changes are by no means final. Things can change in future depending on if a certain weapon/class feels too weak or too powerful to me.

On 2/13/2021 at 6:09 PM, MaxRideWizardLord said:

This analysis does not match my experience with the mod. Overall I've felt it has been a huge improvement because it encourages each class to use more than one weapon, and it makes each weapon more satisfying and more effective at its particular job. The game is more fun when there are viable options other than "hit with axe, shoot with wand, spray with ghosts". This is especially true with the mage, who now almost always solves problems with frost shards, arc lighting, or bloodscourge better than vanilla wand ever could.

I have finished single player runs using Cleric, Wizard, and Fighter on UV, UV -fast, and NM. I would not call any of the classes overpowered, nor are they too weak. I personally had a more difficult time with the Fighter than the other two classes, specifically with managing the Fighter's mana and flechettes on NM or -fast. It's hard to tell how much of that was because of my own preference for ranged options, but I thought it was worth mentioning if for no other reason than to reiterate that my experience with the mod couldn't be more different than the analysis above.

However I feel the need to mention that Fighter actually got the least buffing among the 3 classes. For the most part, fighter's weapon are still pretty much the same.

It's the only class that didn't get nerf at all.

Besides, the quietus buff is a huge buff, considering its both does better damage, projectile speed and aoe splash, 10/10 ammo consumption made it just cheap. The hammer, which is undoubtedly the best third weapon (due it's best reliance, fast fire rate, infinite range precise fly projectile, one shot kill and aoe support in addition to ammo-free use), as well made it even more noob-favored by increasing its travel speed.

On the other hand, while it's true that Mage's starting weapon is nerfed (which by the way is actually a range nerf, you can still pierce enemies with it), his other 3 weapons are buffed quite a bit. The frost shards in particular got a MASSIVE buff.

This was done to make sure that Mage's starting weapon isn't his only "good weapon" (as you stated) and make him depend more on his higher tier weapons to get the job done.

The only reason the primary weapon is favored is because the rest are usually utterly useless, and because the class designed to be least of map dependent (on pickups). It is still the weakest damage output weapon in the game anyway. The range is essential the primary essence of this weapon, as the rest weapons have limited range with rng waving movement pattern (arc of death) and have unreliable spread at all (frost shards), and you wouldn't want waste crapton of ammo by firing bloodscorge to kill single ettin across the map. Given that mage is the slowest and fragiles class of all with green flasks that are useless, having ranged ammo- independent weapon made the class somewhat reliable and fun to play.

And now that bloodscorge lacks the piercing, it lost the only interesting mechanic to use, especially against lots of airborne targets.

2 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Besides, the quietus buff is a huge buff, considering its both does better damage, projectile speed and aoe splash, 10/10 ammo consumption made it just cheap.

Quietus and Bloodscorge were both much weaker than Wraithverge (both in terms of dps and ammo efficiency). I changed both Quietus and Bloodscourge to consume less ammo and do a bit more damage (although I might make Quietus cost 12/12 mana instead of 10/10 in future). For Bloodscourge, the piercing was removed because it was unreliable. It would at times not even kill ettins. Instead, I increased the damage and splash radius of that weapon to make up for it and make it more reliable.

The hammer, which is undoubtedly the best third weapon (due it's best reliance, fast fire rate, infinite range precise fly projectile, one shot kill and aoe support in addition to ammo-free use), as well made it even more noob-favored by increasing its travel speed.

The travel speed increase makes almost no difference against most of Hexen's monsters. The only monsters where this makes a difference are Death Wyverns. And this change was done to make it easier to fight against them, which is normally much harder for Fighter to kill them as opposed to Cleric or Mage.

The only reason the primary weapon is favored is because the rest are usually utterly useless, and because the class designed to be least of map dependent (on pickups). It is still the weakest damage output weapon in the game anyway. The range is essential the primary essence of this weapon.

Firstly, the damage output might be weak against a single target, but against groups, the output becomes far better. Also, even with the nerf, the range is still quite decent (the range is roughly same as Cleric's Firestorm now).

Secondly, I made the other 3 weapons more reliable and stronger to make up for this (and am still working on making them even more reliable). All this was done to make Mage less reliant on grinding the game with the Sapphire Wand and rely more on other options.

green flasks that are useless

To give you some good news, I am planning to buff Mage's flechettes for next release.

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Quietus and Bloodscorge were both much weaker than Wraithverge (both in terms of dps and ammo efficiency). I changed both Quietus and Bloodscourge to consume less ammo and do a bit more damage (although I might make Quietus cost 12/12 mana instead of 10/10 in future). For Bloodscourge, the piercing was removed because it was unreliable. It would at times not even kill ettins. Instead, I increased the damage and splash radius of that weapon to make up for it and make it more reliable.

By this message, I can already tell you don't play HeXen as mage, not at least in custom mods. Bloodscourge is essential weapon against flying targets only because of it's piercing capability, and it's the only situation where it's actually worth to waste 30 units of your precious ammo for a single shot. In DOTDC, it's especially useful against these infinitelly respawning Reivers. It's the only situation where bloodscourge shrine, since it could pierce enemies indefinitelly untill it hits wall\surface so on more open area maps it can shine even more than wraithwerge when used cleverly. Removing it's the weapon's only nieche just turn it in to boring triple seeking hammer shot.

Instead of making the weapon even more lame\boring and useless, you could make piercing more useful so it could kill ettins more consistently.

The travel speed increase makes almost no difference against most of Hexen's monsters. The only monsters where this makes a difference are Death Wyverns. And this change was done to make it easier to fight against them, which is normally much harder for Fighter to kill them as opposed to Cleric or Mage.

Exactly what I said. The only one enemy the fighter require at least a bit gleam of skill to defeat is the wywern (up untill he gets op quietus, at least; so that's just vanila hexen). The travel speed of hammer is fast enough and hardly differs from arc of death travel speed. Wywern moves in a very predictable circle pattern so with a bit of common sense it can easy to land hits, and increasing the hammer projectile travel speed only makes the weapon noob-favored by terrible players to be good at any circumstances the game drops at you.

Secondly, I made the other 3 weapons more reliable and stronger to make up for this (and am still working on making them even more reliable). All this was done to make Mage less reliant on grinding the game with the Sapphire Wand and rely more on other options.

Just like fandom wikipedia and some old HeXen manual stated, the Mage is the one class that is mostly meant to rely on his primary (wand) weapon and use the rest for extra advantage or when trapped in dead situation. That doesn't sound like good excuse to create frost shards so unreasonable underpowered and useless by developers, but at least explains why wand is designed to be multitool weapon that is jack-of-all-trades reliable for all situations, despite being the weakest damage output weapon in the game.

And for a class that is means to be a Magic user, it's only logical that he reject the material possession in a form of green and blue ammo; but instead relies on the power from within.

To give you some good news, I am planning to buff Mage's flechettes for next release.

Never found these fun to use and never will, given they will be still a annoying and boring to use time-bombs that you must frustratingly NOT attack enemy just so it could walk over it in perfect timing just so it could meet some usage, these things will be still be merely a placeholder for inventory. I'm not some peasant jugger to care about some glass bottles anyway, which again goes against the Mage's philosophy of being independent fighter and not a map-slave to care about pickups at all. I would only let it slide for cleric, because his flasks actually create an very powerful AoE that permanently stucklock any enemy and can be used as both as AoE offensive weapon and as area denial defense.

So far I can confidently say that I absolutely loathe every single of these changes as they ruin the core of the game, I guess I'll have to skip this project future's fate.

29 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

So far I can confidently say that I absolutely loathe every single of these changes as they ruin the core of the game, I guess I'll have to skip this project future's fate.

I guess we both share completely opposite opinions on what Mage should be like. I can't please everyone with my mod of course.

Nonetheless I respect your opinion.

Also by DoTDC, do you mean Deathkings? If so, then I actually have played that as Mage and personally never found those respawning Reviers to be a problem with or without the mod. They die just as easily with the modded Bloodscourge.

Hey ReaperAA I just made a Doomworld account just to say 'thank you' for this amazing little mod.

Even if it's against the canon or how the game was intended to be played by its creators (which appears to be the case) it still manages to make the gameplay less annoying and more enjoyable in so many departments, at least for me. So maybe possible misunderstandings could be ruled out by adding a proper disclaimer that your vision of balance is an overhaul and not an evolution of canonical ideas.

I'd like to place a request since your mod affects items and weapons.

I'm playing the game on GZDoom engine with either the Neuro Upscale pack or without any mods (except yours, of course) and I'm pretty confident I know how GZDoom's various lighting options work. No matter how I screwed around the dynamic lighting effects were absent for certain abilities / weapons or utterly missing -- like the vanilla Sapphire Wand.

Would you consider adding...

1. Dynamic lights to Sapphire Wand projectiles and any other energy projectiles that lack them in vanilla.

2. Dynamic muzzle light flashes when using spells, wands and virtually any other weapon or ability whose original firing animations are drawn with visible flashes of energy but lacks lighting effects or has them on an unimpressive/insufficient level. Maybe even subtle blue spark effects when you hit someone with a mana-fueled Timon's Axe. Firestorm projectile looks rather weak and unimpressive, it needs to look both beefier and have a stronger dynamic light. It kicks ass but visually appears as a parlor trick. The same goes to the phantom hammer projectile fired from the Hammer of Retribution.

3. Hits with Quietus landed at melee range should deliver the full damage payload to the single inteded target without spawning any projectiles; this is purely cosmetical. It's a single target that absorbs all the damage in such a scenario anyway, I see no reason why spawn projectiles with a few milliseconds' lifetime. Hitting walls and props with Quietus should behave the same -- if you can tickle something with the tip of the sword, no need to spawn projectiles.

. . .

4. Would love to see a similar Weapons Dynamic Lights Fix for Heretic. At least for me stuff like the Elven Wand and the Necromancer's Gauntlents lack actual lighting effects even though their sprites are drawn with literal flashes of energy. 

Edited by eierfrucht

1 hour ago, eierfrucht said:

Hey ReaperAA I just made a Doomworld account just to say 'thank you' for this amazing little mod.

Hello eierfrucht and welcome to Doomworld. I am glad that you enjoyed my mod.

Even if it's against the canon or how the game was intended to be played by its creators (which appears to be the case) it still manages to make the gameplay less annoying and more enjoyable in so many departments, at least for me. So maybe possible misunderstandings could be ruled out by adding a proper disclaimer that your vision of balance is an overhaul and not an evolution of canonical ideas.

Will do.

Would you consider adding...

1. Dynamic lights to Sapphire Wand projectiles and any other energy projectiles that lack them in vanilla.

2. Dynamic muzzle light flashes when using spells, wands and virtually any other weapon or ability whose original firing animations are drawn with visible flashes of energy but lacks lighting effects or has them on an unimpressive/insufficient level. Maybe even subtle blue spark effects when you hit someone with a mana-fueled Timon's Axe. Firestorm projectile looks rather weak and unimpressive, it needs to look both beefier and have a stronger dynamic light. It kicks ass but visually appears as a parlor trick. The same goes to the phantom hammer projectile fired from the Hammer of Retribution.

I can consider this. Although there is one thing to keep in mind is that my mod is meant to be Zandronum compatible and Zandro doesn't support "attenuate" dynamic light definition/feature in GLDEFS. Which means that I would have to do without it and the dynamic lights that I add may look inconsistent or just not look as good as the existing lights defined in GZDoom.

3. Hits with Quietus landed at melee range should deliver the full damage payload to the single inteded target without spawning any projectiles; this is purely cosmetical. It's a single target that absorbs all the damage in such a scenario anyway, I see no reason why spawn projectiles with a few milliseconds' lifetime. Hitting walls and props with Quietus should behave the same -- if you can tickle something with the tip of the sword, no need to spawn projectiles.

Again something I can consider but I will have to do some changes to the weapon properties for this. Suppose you are surrounded by ettins who are at melee distance. If this change is implemented, then I would have to make it so that only one ettin is killed at a time (because multiple nearby ettins dying would look weird when no projectiles are spawned.).

And in turn, since only one enemy would be killed by it, I would have to lower the mana usage when Quietus is used at melee range.

I will give it a shot, but no guarantee that I will implement it.

4. Would love to see a similar Weapons Dynamic Lights Fix for Heretic. At least for me stuff like the Elven Wand and the Necromancer's Gauntlents lack actual lighting effects even though their sprites are drawn with literal flashes of energy. 

Should I recommend you Wayfarer's Tome. It's a balance mod for Heretic that inspired me to make a similar mod for Hexen. Maybe you can recommend the author of that mod to have dynamic lights fixes implemented there.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

If this change is implemented, then I would have to make it so that only one ettin is killed at a time (because multiple nearby ettins dying would look weird when no projectiles are spawned.).

Exactly. And currently a point blank swing with Quietus blinds the player by flooding the screen with bright green glare.

And in turn, since only one enemy would be killed by it, I would have to lower the mana usage when Quietus is used at melee range.

It's like firing the rocket launcher at a lone imp shielding a group of imps slightly behind of it. Another stimulus for the player to consider switching weapons (if it's a single detached enemy) or backpedaling a bit to pull off the spray attack (if it's a group of weak enemies). Quietus in melee could be the go-to weapon against the beefier enemies and bosses but an intentional overkill against the basic mooks. Just as you'd always pick the hammer over the axe to dispatch a small bunch of ettins in melee for no mana cost; yet still go for the axe when you need a higher dps but the hammer when you need to mix ranged attacks with melee.

Great gameplay mod, its now in my autoload. :)
I have suggestions tho: change frost shards to break frozen enemies. I hate when enemy statues get in my way. 
Also add armor counter to fullscreen HUD, because why not? 
And i found a bug: frozen centaurs sprites are clipping to the ground. 

Glad you liked the mod Zaratul.

43 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

change frost shards to break frozen enemies. I hate when enemy statues get in my way.

I understand. I hate it too when I have to switch weapon to break frozen enemies. However, I have been struggling to find a way to implement this without implementing an alt-fire/quick-melee type of attack. Alt-fire/quick-melee is something that I don't want to do because my mod is meant to be a very conservative mod.

What I wanted to do was to have the "use" key be able to break frozen dead enemies. But I haven't figured out a way to do this. If you know of a way, I would love to hear about it.

44 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

And i found a bug: frozen centaurs sprites are clipping to the ground. 

I'll look into it. However I want to ask something? Does this bug also occur in unmodded Hexen as well. Because I don't think I added any code that should cause this bug. Still, I will try messing with offsets to try rectifying the issue.

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I'll look into it. However I want to ask something? Does this bug also occur in unmodded Hexen as well. Because I don't think I added any code that should cause this bug. Still, I will try messing with offsets to try rectifying the issue.

I tried with unmodded Hexen and bug still exist. So its a GZDoom fault i guess.

11 hours ago, Zaratul said:

I tried with unmodded Hexen and bug still exist. So its a GZDoom fault i guess.

In that case, I recommend making a bug report on ZDoom forums.

I hate when enemy statues get in my way. 

But you can take cover or hinder enemy advancement by creating a bunch of statues.

5 minutes ago, eierfrucht said:

But you can take cover or hinder enemy advancement by creating a bunch of statues.

this.

Dont we all hate searching for the keys? we should spawn with 3 as a default.

also i hate when i die, the monster should deal no damage

Then we shouldn't be even able to quickly switch for the wand to shatter said statues (which is currently possible, just annoying).

So, maybe just make the right mouse button a quick switch between the wand and any other weapon and back?

At least that's what I do all the time to shatter the statues / spare shooting Arc or Shards at a single weak enemy.

Would make sense given that even with this mod you gotta use the wand a lot.

I feel like i first have to clarify first: I haven't played much Hexen, but i haven't ever liked the IWAD or other hubs/mapsets much (aside from carnage galore 3) so i was worried this game maybe wasn't for me because of how slow it felt but then i remembered seeing this mod, so i downloaded and gave it a shot with cyrgoth's manor (as fighter) and i'm having a lot of fun, which was really surprising to me because the tweaks seem to be pretty small. Centaurs especially went from being absolutely dreadful to fight to actually being lots of fun (especially in enclosed spaces where they become the most deadly). I also really like the brightmaps and widescreen graphics fixes.

On 2/16/2021 at 9:44 AM, ReaperAA said:

Also by DoTDC, do you mean Deathkings? If so, then I actually have played that as Mage and personally never found those respawning Reviers to be a problem with or without the mod. They die just as easily with the modded Bloodscourge.

Then I guess you never played that wad professionally. Try the archmage difficulty, the ripper was essential part of the weapon that allowed me to clean the whole map full of Reviers IF you manage to organize them well enough and carefully collect them up away from map's terrains, so one shot is enough to clean them all without it actually hitting a terrain or map's surface. Without rippers, they're just a stupid boring heat seeking rocket launchers that won't damage multiple enemies unless they are up close, which is already limits on how much you can hit\damage\kill. The ripper is also the only somewhat crowd control\big weapon of the mage that is meant to be for mass killing in slaughtermap-like HeXen mappacks. Besides, even in vanilla DOTDC the rippers are the necessity of the weapon if you want to use it effectively without actually runing out of ammo just after few Reviers clean ups; it feels as if in archmage difficulty the enemies also spawn more often, but I'm not sure about that.