Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

HEXEN: Cyrgoth's Manor - 7 Level Hub + Deathmatch WAD

Awesome, thank you! More Heretic & Hexen stuff!
Downloaded!

Played it, found the secret map. I liked it. It had plenty of action, though there were a few minor issues:

1. I went to the wrong map first, and ended up going through most of Black Valley with no hammer (on hard), not realizing that it was in another map. Maybe you could add the 3rd weapon at the start of that map too, so you will get it regardless of what map you go to first.

2. There needs to be a bit more mana and health in some places, like Black Valley. Of course, it could be because I was running around with just an axe, but I was seriously lacking in health all throughout that map. In the ice map, I was running low on mana in a few places, and the enemy respawns didn't help either.

3. I don't see much of a reason why you have the emerald key blocked off by a castle key door, while also being on that pillar. By the time you lower the emerald key, you would already have the castle key, making that locked door kind of redundant.

4. That rusted key puzzle was a bit on the annoying side. It might be better if those bookshelves weren't there to get in the way.

5. If you have more than one death wyvern in an area like that, there is a good chance that they will collide with each other and get stuck in midair. That happened to me and I was able to kill one and almost kill another while they were just floating there, not even firing. Maybe if you had two of them, and both use different mapspots that are at different altitudes, it should minimize the chance of them colliding.

Posted (edited)

I finished it today and I agree with all Ichor's points, beause I also played as Fighter on hard difficulty. I want to particularly stress the ammo shortages - after a while, it became really annoying to melee-fight most monsters with unpowered axe. Eventually, I used "kill monsters" on two maps and then used them as spare ammo source. The shattering portal to the secret level was a bitch move, becuse it's the only one with oversupply of ammo. Also, some puzzles took me very long to figure out, because there are simply lots of switches, bars and locked doors and it's not apparent which switch opens what. You should add more puzzle messages and make existing ones more specific.

Edited by Caleb13

Posted (edited)

Thanks for playing it guys! Much appreciated! I will update this and fix the things you guys mentioned in V2 of this WAD. It is weird that you were both lacking in mana for the Fighter, since I remember having an over abundance of it more than any of the other classes when playing through. I can add the 3rd weapons to both of the maps on hard difficulty to make it easier. I'll fix the castle key door by the emerald key. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I was adding that. The rusted key puzzle is kinda annoying I agree, I'll maybe remove some of the bookshelves to give the player an easier passage through. For the death wyverns, I do actually have them all on different map spots, it is just a cramped area and they tend to collide. I thought I minimized it for the most part in testing, but I'll see what I can do to improve it. The shattering portal to the secret map is supposed to prevent you from exploiting the map too much while giving you full mana during your visit, but when I fix the mana problem, hopefully that won't be too annoying anymore. I did add a lot of messages to the switches throughout the hub, at least I feel I did a better job than the original game did at that. Mostly, the ones without messages are for secret or optional areas that take more effort to find. Again though, I'll see what I can do to improve this.

Thank you for your time playing my WAD and your helpful and constructive criticism!

Edited by Seidolon

Posted (edited)

At what difficulty did you play? My first run was at Berserker and there was simply not enough mana. I tried playing on Warrior yesterday and I still run into a few shortages, even though I used flechettes and Dark Servants on groups of monsters, pushed them into deep pits, turned into pigs etc. Maybe it's because you know all the secret mana caches since you designed the maps? Or do you rely on monster infigting?

Edited by Caleb13

I tested it out on all difficulties for each class. The problem might be that I mostly resorted to using my first weapon on weak enemies like ettins, even when I had mana. That is how I always played the original game. Also, you mentioned earlier using the unpowered axe when out of mana. Surprisingly, the gauntlets are actually more powerful than an unpowered axe, so knowing that might make it easier. Either way, there will be more mana in V2.

Updated to Version 2.

- More mana.

- Changed castle key door in the Emerald Key room to a normal door.

- Removed some bookshelves in the Rusted Key puzzle room.

- Added some more Health items.

- Added 3rd weapons to both the Black Valley and The Northlands.

- Adjusted the Death Wyvern's path points. Should be less likely to collide now.

Download link in the OP!

If you continue to have mana or health troubles, I would just choose an easier difficulty.

Just added my Hexen Deathmatch WAD Realm of Carnage and the addon Serpent Arsenal to the OP, since I never posted them on Doomworld, and won't be posting any more mods on ZDoom Forums. They will be updated in this thread from now on.

Hey, maybe I'm daft, but I'm stuck. I have the first key, and a bunch of the gems, but so far I haven't seen any place to use them. I've been to (and completed as much as I could in) the canyon & ice levels, then I went back the the start map which opened up a new area with another gem inside, but from then on I've been at a standstill.

Someone is making a let's play of this wad on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcVIwpcrexCfDInryR6Ds3QpkC-56bJ_7

If you haven't been to the delta level, you probably haven't found the rusted key yet. To unlock that, you need to solve a puzzle on the Manor level.

If you want to know what the gems are for...

Spoiler

...they're for the secret level.

If you continue to have trouble, you can PM me for some help.

Thanks! It turned out that somehow the bars to the puzzle room didn't raise, even though I had pressed the switch in the other level. But I ALSO realized I was playing an earlier release, so maybe that affected it somehow. Anyways, I played through it again using the up-to-date version on the weekend with no issue. Though I must admit I used the Wrath of Cronos mod, so not quite vanilla.

Quite fun levels. I liked how the higher difficulties were significantly harder in terms of monster count, and the final battle was satisfying.

Spoiler

The secret level was nice as well, though I wonder if it was really necessary to hide it behind a locked door? With the gems the player knows that they're going to be use *somewhere* anyways, so maybe having the portal being hidden in a regular secret area would've made more sense; so when they find that secret, they at least know the gems are for that, and not regular map progression.

Glad to see that people are still making fun, quality levels for Hexen :)

Hmm that's weird that it wouldn't open the first time. I don't recall changing anything with that script in the second version. Wrath of Cronos is a great mod btw. I play tested this WAD with it before releasing it and it was fun. The only problem is the final battle with the Death Wyverns is too hard because there's nowhere to hide from them since they now just fly straight towards you. I am glad to hear you like this WAD. There will be more similar Hexen content coming from me in the future so stay tuned!

Posted (edited)

Took it for a quick spin with Karnak. The amount of monsters is a tad kooky, but the map layouts are pretty well done.

Edited by Impie

I'd also like to say thanks for making this, I had a great time with it!

Also...

Spoiler

I'm glad to see that you're planning some kind of sequel, according to the final ingame text! Could one hope for a complete megawad? ;) In other cases, more Hexen is always a good thing!

Glad to hear you enjoyed my WAD! I sure enjoyed making it.

Spoiler

In regards to the sequel WAD, it is actually almost done with it. I am currently putting some finishing touches on it and am balancing out items/mana. It will then undergo some thorough testing before release. I have a planned release date for the 30th of October this year, which will be the 24th anniversary of Hexen's release. I might make a Hexen megawad some day, however, for now I do like making single hub WADs. The sequel is bigger with a total of 8 maps in it. If I make a third installment in the series, perhaps I would go even further with a 9 or 10 map hub.