Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Finishing unfinished monsters

8 minutes ago, luckypunk said:

Did the strawberry jam ever make it into a release? As far as I remember, I'd posted the jam version and someone immediately bullied me into improving it. So I copied bits and pieces from other frames into the jam.

In my memory there were only a few hours between both versions. But then it's been a while. My memory might be off.

So yes, that's the reason why it looks the way it looks.

Actually the last 3 frames, uh...

image.png.5e7d28339a19f58639cb2e61df351a37.pngimage.png.336891674bdc148c454fa173fc61800e.pngimage.png.4e2df9f584bb1f203cd5702fd3028888.png
Starts from BOSSM0 but yeh, that is what I mean

I might look into fixing the Pestmeister death frames too, juuuust to make them a bit more polished. Also an update. I have made progress on the nukenewt, but my computer broke down for the Nth time this year, so I'll continue working on it once it's fixed. I can't seem to find the link to the progress picture I had up on Imgur thanks to the new layout. Nice.

Rest assured, the attack frames are pretty much complete(although it needs a bit of polish), and the death frames need some moderate polish along with some gore.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, Starman the Blaziken said:

image.png.5e7d28339a19f58639cb2e61df351a37.pngimage.png.336891674bdc148c454fa173fc61800e.pngimage.png.4e2df9f584bb1f203cd5702fd3028888.png
Starts from BOSSM0 but yeh, that is what I mean

Btw I can totally finish those frames, a little bit of time, but I can fix em' :D

8 hours ago, D4RKP1G said:

Btw I can totally finish those frames, a little bit of time, but I can fix em' :D

The new frames being the chunks of Pest Meat or those old frames of instant-strawberry-jam?

On 7/13/2019 at 6:24 PM, Starman the Blaziken said:

Actually the last 3 frames, uh...

To prevent confusion, the current version of the sprites is like this:

bossm0.pngbossn0.pngbosso0.png

Although not perfect, it's no longer a jam blob, there's some color.

2 minutes ago, Ferk said:

To prevent confusion, the current version of the sprites is like this:

bossm0.pngbossn0.pngbosso0.png

I know, I played the Test builds a lot, this is why I made that Chocolate Doom thing where their was some errors with map 30 with the builds at this time. Of course I will change the title once it is fixed hopefully. And that is, no issues will come when I play the next little build through all the levels in Chocolate Doom.
But yeah, that is what I mean by the Pest meat chunks... Mmm, Pest nuggets...

Stuff, stuff, stuff keeps happening yadda yadda. But hey, I got around to polishing the Nukeptyle and have the death frames ready I think? Let me know what y'all think.

Spoiler

fFp3wIy.png

Maybe I'll add a few more bullet holes along the body and such. I'm also working on picking a good color scheme for the red version I'll actually submit to the project. I also thought of a name for the red version! Lavamander! Get it, it's like Lava + Salamander! But bullshit aside, yeah this is where I'm at.

10 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Let me know what y'all think.

In an ideal world, I'd like the death sequence a little less symmetrical, but this certainly works.

Is there anything missing or could this be used until the Lavamander is ready?

I suppose I could make it less symmetrical somewhat, however, I think as it is right now it works well enough as a placeholder. I've put all the sprites in a wad already to test it in-game, so I'll attach that file to this post.

Nukeptile.zip

...I'm sorry but that looks worse on every level than the current pestmeister.

On a technical level, everything looks like pillow-shaded ovals jammed together. My eyes actually hurt looking at the front view.

On a design level, with the thick stumpy Barney-the-dinosaur lower body it looks like it came out of Pokemon's "we can't have this too cool-looking, pudge it up to make it look a bit dorky so it balances out with the other designs" department.

I'd rather even we just stuck with the two similar-looking palette swaps and incomplete death animations.

EDIT: I just saw the smoothed-out chestplate version from page 1:
nukeptyle_114_by_raymoohawk-dajsr6g.gif
That looks 100% better already. Still really not a fan of the design, but that's just me...

Edited by Hideous Destructor Guy

On 11/4/2019 at 4:23 AM, Hideous Destructor Guy said:

On a design level, with the thick stumpy Barney-the-dinosaur lower body it looks like it came out of Pokemon's "we can't have this too cool-looking, pudge it up to make it look a bit dorky so it balances out with the other designs" department.

I suggest doing a palette swap:
image.png.81fa99a2411443c84a8468c5791a7df3.png

All sprites

EDIT: Oh I didn't saw that HorrorMovieGuy intended to recolor it himself.
Sorry, I should have read the entire thread (PM me if you want the link)

Edited by Noiser

Noiser, that is a huge improvement! Very Hexen-esque, and the implied rock-like texture helps justify the lumpiness a lot.

I would not mind this version taking the place of the current knight, assuming the rest of the sprites are of a similar vein.

I quite like Noiser's brown/rocky version(kinda reminds me of the stop/go kremlins from DKC 1). On my end, after experimenting with recolors I came up with this:

kf2XZpt.png

I'm going with red because if this does replace the Baron, it would be a good idea keeping a little red in there because of gameplay mods that use translations. However, that's not really a serious issue so much as me thinking it would be convenient. What's everyone's opinion here, red lizard or brown lizard?

And also, I am making improvements to the death animation, actually getting half of it's face blown off instead of the lazy little head wound we have now, and making it less symmetrical to give it a more polished, professional look even!

Your dino looks rad af!

I would suggest using the brown one for the Hell Knight and the red for Baron, but if the intention is using different sprites for each monster, I think yours is the better choice. Besides, It's my fault not having read the thread properly before.

Edited by Noiser

Oh well, I got this right now:

Screenshot_Doom_20191109_190730.png.d78423ec14aee0a6e52ccb7b4cf80542.png

This coloring is slightly adjusted from my last one to look better from all angles, since the last one was kinda janky around the tail area and such, and I finished improving the death animation. I think the only thing left should be to give it some horns to make it more dragon-like and maybe change the face a little to make it distinct from the Nukeptyle. As far as lore goes if anyone at all cares, the Nukeptyle could be a peaceful or neutral race, and the Lavamanders are more war oriented, and teamed with the AGM to enslave the Nukeptyles(hence the Pestmeisters with lizard cannon arms).

Lavamander.zip

It looks good, but the face looks really silly in my opinion. In the attack frame the face looks like a rubber duck or something.

Still, looks pretty great.

the red lizard looks a lot better with that new head in my opinion but i suspect the brown lizard would be easier to see in game

On 11/11/2019 at 6:42 PM, HorrorMovieGuy said:

This is a test for the final Lavamander. How does this look?

Oh yeah! The horns and teeth makes a big difference, I like it a lot