Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question

what is the differents in freedoom and shareware? and when people said on my ".wad to .exe" topic

they said use freedoom as a base, what does that mean?

10 answers to this question

21 hours ago, Tuckymonster said:

when people said on my ".wad to .exe" topic they said use freedoom as a base, what does that mean?

It would be illegal to create and distribute an EXE file that bundles Doom graphics and resources, since they are copyright of Id Software.

You can only do it with assets that are free to use, that's why people are suggesting you to use Freedoom, because it has a license that allows you to do whatever you want with it. Doom's license doesn't allow you to do what you want (not even the shareware version).

what is the differents in freedoom and shareware?

Shareware Doom is property of Id Software, you can download it for free but you are limited in what you can do with it, it's meant to be only a "trial version" for Doom of only 1 episode. You are supposed to buy the full game for the full experience.

Freedoom is a community project made by fans to create a replacement of Doom but using an open and free license that allows free modification and reuse (as long as you give some credit to the project).

Edited by Ferk

Yes, you can do that, the license allows it, you can reuse it in your own thing or modify it to your liking. It also includes additional extra textures, more than in original Doom.

From the official page: https://freedoom.github.io/about.html

A collection of reusable artwork

Freedoom contains hundreds of original textures, sound effects and music tracks that can be reused royalty-free by Doom level authors and other independent game developers.

Freedoom is liberally licensed under the BSD license - all that is required is that you include a short copyright statement that credits the Freedoom project.

20 hours ago, Tuckymonster said:

what is the differents in freedoom and shareware? and when people said on my ".wad to .exe" topic

they said use freedoom as a base, what does that mean?

Shareware Doom is only the first Doom episode, therefore it is not a full game. You can't play custom WADs with shareware Doom IIRC. Instead, you can use Freedoom as a replacement IWAD to play custom WADs since it is free, and it is a total conversion of Doom.

An IWAD is pretty much the whole game, whether it is Doom, Doom 2, Heretic or HeXen... When you create a mod, you're basically replacing the contents of the IWAD you base your mod off of.

1 hour ago, Ferk said:

You can only do it with assets that are free to use, that's why people are suggesting you to use Freedoom, because it has a license that allows you to do whatever you want with it. Doom's license doesn't allow you to do what you want (not even the shareware version).

so i can just open freedoom and copy and paste the assents inside of it to my iwad? 

4 minutes ago, Ferk said:

Yes, you can do that, the license allows it

i opend it. there is no doom graphics! 

2 minutes ago, Tuckymonster said:

i opend it. there is no doom graphics! 

It's a Doom replacement (kind of a Total Conversion thing).

Doom graphics cannot be used legally, so it has its own graphics which do look different.

I don't believe Chex Quest's assets were released under any sort of GPL or free-to-use license, so the answer is probably no.

The best way you have should be try to remake the assest to a total conversion, or make this a mod instead of a game.