Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skootroot

Madworld - Single player wad

I'm going to try to make this wad my first big wad. It will be one big map and I'm very new to mapping in Doom and I really need some tips and criticism. This map is the first area.

The story so far is: The world is full murderous lunatics and you must fight you're way through the city to escape.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/dm7pcpjv25n8bun/Madworld.wad/file

Screenshot_Doom_20190520_160742.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190520_160753.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190520_160806.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190520_182915.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190520_182922.png

So, I'm not trying to be mean, but what is this?  I couldn't get the map to load, so I went to Doom Builder and launched it there.  I get this is going to be bigger at some point, but this isn't really even in a testing phase yet.  I'll tell you somethings I did like.  There is some effort in adding designs here which is nice.  Baseboard type things and some small walls for detail.  Maybe work on some more rooms before asking for feedback.  There just isn't enough here yet.  My other suggestion is maybe doing a couple of small, finished (able to be completed) maps to get the hang of mapping.  Trying to do a big map can get daunting.  Take your overall idea and put together 2-3 small maps to get the hang of design and flow.

I'm not trying to put you down or dissuade you at all.  Please, let me know when you've got some more in here and I will happily play test it.

8 hours ago, spaztacus said:

So, I'm not trying to be mean, but what is this?  I couldn't get the map to load, so I went to Doom Builder and launched it there.  I get this is going to be bigger at some point, but this isn't really even in a testing phase yet.  I'll tell you somethings I did like.  There is some effort in adding designs here which is nice.  Baseboard type things and some small walls for detail.  Maybe work on some more rooms before asking for feedback.  There just isn't enough here yet.  My other suggestion is maybe doing a couple of small, finished (able to be completed) maps to get the hang of mapping.  Trying to do a big map can get daunting.  Take your overall idea and put together 2-3 small maps to get the hang of design and flow.

I'm not trying to put you down or dissuade you at all.  Please, let me know when you've got some more in here and I will happily play test it.

Thank you! I worked on this for about 6 to 5 hours and I plan to put more time into it. And you weren't being mean you're just telling me facts. I'll put this on hold and try mapping more. I've made 2 other small maps to test myself but I will make more little maps to get used to it more. Again, thank you for your feedback!

Judging by the screens I recommend varying your structures a bit. So far it looks like everything is rectangular and very cramped at that.

It's a lot to take in if I try to give you ideas, so I recommend playing a few wads with good variation or that feel good to move around, and try to do similar designs, just to give you a bit of ease. Even just E1, it has a lot to teach you.

By your build time I suspect you are trying to do a lot of iterative work, inch by inch. I'm not saying my approach is the correct one, but I would instead do the overall layout in bulk, then get bogged down by the little things. Doing so could make you faster and you'd avoid getting stuck because you don't have a frame/overall vision to work with.

Hopefully I'm not talking out of my butt and it helps.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:42 AM, Squize said:

Thank you! I worked on this for about 6 to 5 hours and I plan to put more time into it. And you weren't being mean you're just telling me facts. I'll put this on hold and try mapping more. I've made 2 other small maps to test myself but I will make more little maps to get used to it more. Again, thank you for your feedback!

Hey, if you have some other little things, I'd love to play test them and give feedback.  Mapping can be rough and feedback and practice can only make one better.

Little tip, don't name the literal index of the map "MADWORLD" without some form of MAPINFO file directing it to load said map as the first level. DooM does get confused otherwise and you'll have to force starts through a map editor like GZDBBF.

Otherwise I LOVE the cute little details so far! Barely anything here to play with and so far I like what I see! Just one tip from me, don't get carried away with details, it can become a nuisance both for the player trying to remember where to go and their PC dying trying to handle such finesse.