Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Foodles

Which nodebuilder should I be using?

Question

I've been building a map that's gotten fairly large (17k linedefs, 13k vertices) and recently I've been getting an error message in DBX saying something to the effect of failed to build nodes, map will be saved without nodes, furthermore the wad had started taking ages to save (about 90 seconds). I found I was using ZenNode by default so I tried switching to glBSP and found that the wad saved a lot faster but that when I was testing it I could clip through certain walls.

My questions therefore are: What is a Nodebuilder? What are the differences between them? Which one should I use given that my map is intended to be Boom compatible? What's the difference between the normal and fast (no reject) versions of the nodebuilders?

Assume I'm an idiot who has no idea what a nodebuilder is and only a very basic knowledge of map editing (which is a pretty accurate assumption).

1 answer to this question

11 minutes ago, Foodles said:

My questions therefore are: What is a Nodebuilder?

A nodebuilder creates the data structures required by Doom for collision detection and rendering.

12 minutes ago, Foodles said:

What are the differences between them?

Some of them use different formats for storing the aforementioned data structures. These formats were developed for different intentions, e.g. easier/more-performant open gl rendering (in the case of glBSP) or for allowing you to squeeze more map data into the binary map format (DeepBSP, zdBSP). A nice overview is found on doomwiki: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Node_builder

14 minutes ago, Foodles said:

Which one should I use given that my map is intended to be Boom compatible?

If by boom-compatible you mean prboom-plus -complevel 9, then you can use nearly any nodebuilder except zdbsp-compressed nodes. I recommend zdbsp (no reject) for most circumstances. If your map is particularly complicated and likely to contain many slime trails then I recommend zdbsp-extended, which stores vertices with a bit more precision, often nixing some rendering artifacts in the process.

17 minutes ago, Foodles said:

What's the difference between the normal and fast (no reject) versions of the nodebuilders?

Reject tables are a data-structure designed to improve performance by means of reducing the number of times enemies need to perform line-of-sight checks from their position to yours. Zennode (by extension Zokum) have pretty rad, albeit imperfect, methods for computing these. Zdoom and zdBSP consider reject tables to be irrelevant, so when using zdbsp (in modern ports) there's no reason to unnecessarily inflate the size of your wad with a "zero"-filled reject table. Basically: opt for no-reject unless the map absolutely requires one in order to run at a reasonable fps (which is very very rare, and port-specific).