Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rathori

GOG Galaxy 2.0 announced - one client to rule them all?

So, in case you haven't seen yet, GOG has just announced Galaxy 2.0, which promises to combine all your game libraries and friend lists from all platforms in one client:

Looks pretty cool if you ask me.

Edited by Rathori : Add more drama to the title :P

I don't know. I don't want another Steam clone. I was just thinking of starting to buy GOG primarily because of the very fact they are simpler.

Well, they don't seem to aim to be a Steam clone, and it's still an optional client and offline installers for the games aren't going anywhere.

I think it would be awesome to be able to see all my game times and achievements without having to go into like 10 separate applications, not to mention having to check my libraries on all the stores to see if I already own a game on one of the platforms before I buy it again because I forgot I had it elsewhere. Especially since I've recently started buying newer games on GOG too.

And being able to chat to your friends from other platforms is pretty nice too.

Well, the FAQ says you'll still need Steam or whatever other client if you want to play the games from that store, but Galaxy 2.0 will do all the launching for you. But I'm pretty sure you don't need the clients to see your stats and library on other platforms, I mean, otherwise it wouldn't work for consoles.

Also, apparently guys at Gamespot saw a live demo of it (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-announces-gog-galaxy-20-an-app-designed-to-fix/1100-6467097/), and you can see Halo, Forza and in the Screenshots and they write that God of War was in the library too.

Seems like a pretty bizarre feature to me. As long as it remains optional I'm ok.

I'm pretty keen for this - I've been curious about Playnite for a while. Cross platform chat and achievements is really cool as it's can be a real pain when some people are playing BF5 and others are using Steam. I'm a big proponent of GOG and buy GOG versions whenever possible. I like to rebuy my Steam games on GOG to support them too.  I hope 2.0 produces significant gains in market share for CDP. I've noticed a fair few of my friends don't really give a shit about GOG due to Steam's chat and having all the games on that platform. I'm thinking there will be another GOG connect to coincide with Galaxy's 2.0 official release.