Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zen4040

My First Doom Mappack

I made this short mappack last year. right now it's just in it's demo state and I have a feeling that it's going to stay that way for ever. I allready made two more maps that aren't a part of the public demo yet but I'm stuck at the third one with a lack of inspiration.

It's supposed to be a completely vanilla compatible wad that feels fair and plays mostly like doom 2. Of course you need doom2.wad to play this, I tested this in the dos version of doom with dosbox, so this should be compatible with most source ports and no, jumping and crouching isn't allowed.

I allready had a thread for this on the zdoom forums but got zero attention there and since the community here seems to be bigger I thought maybe a few more people would play this map and give me some feed back.

Link to the GB Page(Download Link):

https://gamebanana.com/maps/200102

Screenshots:

Spoiler

5b01b515a0ff0.jpg5b01b514803fc.jpg5b01b5145e8e0.jpg5b01b5149dfc7.jpg5b01b515da828.jpg

5b01b51505b0c.jpg5b01b515ba6fd.jpg5b01b5160d5e8.jpg5b01b5122ae26.jpg5b01b515a0ff0.jpg

UPDATE(15.06.2019):

So after getting all your feedback I tried working on another map and doing that made me want to make even more maps, so yeah, you'll be getting a whole mappack I think, might take a few months tho.

The only thing holding me back is the gaming pc I got recently which finally allows me to play all these "high end" games I've been stacking in my library for years

Here's a little sneak peak into the next map:

Edited by ([zen3001])

Not familiar with Gamebanana, so it must have taken me a full two minutes to find the actual download link. It's here, for simplicity's sake.

Anyway, this set definitely has some Doom 1 nostalgia and some Doom 2 nostalgia. It's pretty basic, but overall I can't complain too much. I had a pretty good time.

Not fully sure if this was meant to be played in Chocolate DooM or not but I crashed when attempting to play MAP02.

These are the glitches I have noted so far for MAP01:

Spoiler

830825036_ERROR1.png.96b2de48fc038a21527a7645f2c0f065.png

847603910_ERROR2.png.18895ccc637f5bb959426ed9e419116f.png

These two images show a "Tutti Frutti" bug. The steps mostly likely occurred due to them being lower-unpegged and the door is most likely a texture offset DooM doesn't like.

Just played your maps. Here's some feedback from a fellow beginner in doom mapping:

-> Some of the rooms are quite empty, especially in the earlier levels. Put some decoration or do some fancy stuff on the walls and ceilings.
-> Also in the earlier maos, I see you re-used a lot of texture and room aesthetics. This does get a lot better in tha later levels, especially tha last one, so I imagined you already improved on that
-> Combat had its moments, but most of it is shoot, take cover, repeat, as the guy above said. Also, I noticed the lack of explosive barrels! The barrels are a good tool to make combate with a lot of monsters more engaging and a little bit more strategic
-> Lastly, when your doing doors, make them inside a opening on a wall, instead of just changing a texture on a flat sector. It looks like the door is painted on the wall when you do it like that.

Overall, these maps are pretty cool, if a little basic. I especially liked the last one. Room geometry and overall layout are all pretty cool. Nice work!

22 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Not fully sure if this was meant to be played in Chocolate DooM or not but I crashed when attempting to play MAP02.

These are the glitches I have noted so far for MAP01:

Reveal hidden contents

830825036_ERROR1.png.96b2de48fc038a21527a7645f2c0f065.png

847603910_ERROR2.png.18895ccc637f5bb959426ed9e419116f.png

These two images show a "Tutti Frutti" bug. The steps mostly likely occurred due to them being lower-unpegged and the door is most likely a texture offset DooM doesn't like.

I remember having these fixed in a version I lost somehow when trying to reinstall windows. As much as I wanted to make this as vanilla compatible as possible I think I won't manage to completely do that, I would say just use crispy doom instead.

On 5/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, HAK3180 said:

Not familiar with Gamebanana, so it must have taken me a full two minutes to find the actual download link. It's here, for simplicity's sake.

Anyway, this set definitely has some Doom 1 nostalgia and some Doom 2 nostalgia. It's pretty basic, but overall I can't complain too much. I had a pretty good time.

I put in the wrong fucking link there... the new link should bring you to the actual page of the mappack

I feel completely incompetent sometimes

Just played through your levels, it was fun but I have a few design tips

- have "bumps" in the walls when using different textures, it makes it look like things are not painted on the wall

- change the floor height when changing the floor texture

note, these are all subjective, yet the maps were still fun to play through, keep it up

I have to thank you all again for the feedback, it definetely helped me come up with knew ideas for more maps. Haven't touched this mappack for whole year I think and now I'm getting back to it and looking forward to maybe even turn it into a megawad

Almost forgot to mention, the first few maps have deathmatch starts too, they were made to be connected from everywhere so you could use them for deathmatches.

Edited by ([zen3001])

That was pretty good.  I would kinda jus echo previous comments about cleaning up your transitions a little between textures.  I was confused with I think Map 4 that had 2 yellow keys.

10 hours ago, spaztacus said:

That was pretty good.  I would kinda jus echo previous comments about cleaning up your transitions a little between textures.  I was confused with I think Map 4 that had 2 yellow keys.

I don't like having to tell you how to play but it might make more sense to you if you tried hunting secrets a little more

Edited by ([zen3001])