Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
protgent

textures in PK3

Question

so im making a IPK3, and how do i use textures?(like import flats and planes) i saw some doom PK3s with custom maps, and textures. i open them in slade 3, and i just see ate first a texture folder, is that all i do? or do i do some scripting shit?

9 answers to this question

For simply adding new textures, assuming UDMF, you can just put them all inside a textures folder in the PK3 root and all is good.

For other formats it gets more complicated. I only really know how to add new patches and flats in older formats with WAD and not so much with PK3.

30 minutes ago, Tuckymonster said:

do the maps have to be udmf?

no. they do not have to be udmf to add a texture

step 1 add a folder in the pk3 called textures

step 2 put textures in there

step 3 if you dont want to use udmf i think you have to select  all the images and right click > add to texturex (it will ask you to make a lump, click textures and repeat step 3)

this is all from memory

The map format has zero relevance. What matters is the port. GZDoom will accept textures from a textures folder in a pk3 regardless of map format; Chocolate Doom will not load a pk3 at all.

52 minutes ago, Gez said:

The map format has zero relevance. What matters is the port. GZDoom will accept textures from a textures folder in a pk3 regardless of map format; Chocolate Doom will not load a pk3 at all.

but when nevander said

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

assuming UDMF

what does he mean?

9 hours ago, Tuckymonster said:

but when nevander said

what does he mean?

I'm telling you that you don't need to assume UDMF. A textures folder will work in plain old Doom format too.

Or, in other words:

10 hours ago, unpleasantmarine said:

step 1 add a folder in the pk3 called textures

step 2 put textures in there

There. No step 3. There is no need for a step 3. All this talk about map format is only confusing the issue, it's irrelevant.

somthing else, does anybody know how to make it it so when GZDOOM loads my IPK3, it auto sets some settings?