Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

Umm, how about ask for help after you will have something to show besides TITLEPIC? 

19 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

E1 theme strict or any kind of techbase?

Any kind of techbase, my friend.

18 minutes ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

Since Map01 is open, sign me up.

Aye aye, cap'n.

46 minutes ago, Сhaingunner said:

Umm, how about ask for help after you will have something to show besides TITLEPIC? 

I'm just pitching an idea for a community project, and seeing if people want to contribute. I'll show off some images once I get some maps in.

Generally for a community project, you should show off some stuff that you have done before even thinking of posting. Not only does it help with getting people interested, but it shows that you have a level of commitment to it beyond "just pitching an idea". That being said, if you're doing simple vanilla-compatible techbases, it shouldn't take you long to get something ready, yeah? So, I'd recommend whipping at least something up and showing it off. I will add that a megawad is quite ambitious. Unless you have a very strong concept, I'd suggest scaling it back.

You want a Tom Hall-esque MAP04?

Hell I might even take 2 slots if that's aight, MAP04 + MAP18 (so a easier vs more aggressive one)

One question though, when's the deadline?

6 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

Generally for a community project, you should show off some stuff that you have done before even thinking of posting. Not only does it help with getting people interested, but it shows that you have a level of commitment to it beyond "just pitching an idea". That being said, if you're doing simple vanilla-compatible techbases, it shouldn't take you long to get something ready, yeah? So, I'd recommend whipping at least something up and showing it off. I will add that a megawad is quite ambitious. Unless you have a very strong concept, I'd suggest scaling it back.

I'm currently making a few levels for the Megawad myself, so my pictures can be posted up with the project. Im also aiming for Megawad due to how many people usually make Techbase wads and levels, If I don't get enough applicant's I'll happily scale it back.

As for the whole getting "pitching an idea". I took a look at the way other community projects were held, such as Doom: The Way ID Did and based my format loosely on how they pitched their ideas.

6 minutes ago, XLightningStormL said:

You want a Tom Hall-esque MAP04?

Absolutely, Brother.

I'm not sure when the deadline will be, don't worry you'll have plenty of time.

I'm mostly waiting on when other people will posting their maps.

Never mapped in a community project but since techbase is my fetish can I take map09?

Go for it.

1 hour ago, ZeMystic said:

As for the whole getting "pitching an idea". I took a look at the way other community projects were held, such as Doom: The Way ID Did and based my format loosely on how they pitched their ideas.

DTWID had a strong concept behind it. The idea of "let's make an alternative Doom of sorts, mapping in the styles of the original authors" is a powerful one, and I think that's why DTWID garnered so much interest. On the flipside, you're asking for techbases. Kind of an overdone concept if you ask me, but even that could be salvaged with strong enough presentation and project goals. Except that you still haven't really done that. Along with the lack of work done before posting, there doesn't seem to be much, if any identity here. What are these environments supposed to look like, what textures? What differentiates a "mars" base from an "earth" one beyond the change in outdoor environment? If people are able to use whatever textures they feel like, which seems to be what the rules state, any sense of cohesiveness could very well be lost. This all may seem harsh but I think it's important to consider if you want to attract more interest.

2 hours ago, AD_79 said:

DTWID had a strong concept behind it. The idea of "let's make an alternative Doom of sorts, mapping in the styles of the original authors" is a powerful one, and I think that's why DTWID garnered so much interest. On the flipside, you're asking for techbases. Kind of an overdone concept if you ask me, but even that could be salvaged with strong enough presentation and project goals. Except that you still haven't really done that. Along with the lack of work done before posting, there doesn't seem to be much, if any identity here. What are these environments supposed to look like, what textures? What differentiates a "mars" base from an "earth" one beyond the change in outdoor environment? If people are able to use whatever textures they feel like, which seems to be what the rules state, any sense of cohesiveness could very well be lost. This all may seem harsh but I think it's important to consider if you want to attract more interest.

I think this could work if it made a point to improve on the areas where DTWID went wrong. For example, if a rule of "designer should be able to max the map in seven minutes or less" rule were employed, it would wrangle the maps down to a much more reasonable size.

Hmm, I might join the project, though I agree with @AD_79. I think some stronger themes are needed.

What about having episodes based around different aspects of techbases, i.e. maps centered specifically around technology, or nukage, offices, machinery? It sounds silly, but it would give a sense of direction to each episode, and allow mappers to experiment inside the theme.

11 minutes ago, obake said:

Hmm, I might join the project, though I agree with @AD_79. I think some stronger themes are needed.

What about having episodes based around different aspects of techbases, i.e. maps centered specifically around technology, or nukage, offices, machinery? It sounds silly, but it would give a sense of direction to each episode, and allow mappers to experiment inside the theme.

I'm stealing that idea, and it'll help with new ideas. 

It'll also help with the point made by @AD_79. Thank you.

What's wrong with a mapset of more vanilla techbases? The theme was overdone by 1996, but that didn't stop the vracks and saturnx's and s.t.r.a.i.n.'s of the world from being made. Quite a few major wads have had zero or nearly zero content contributed by their project managers btw, the "you should do it this way" group think in here is kinda depressing.

BTSX and Strain have stuff in them to differentiate themselves, be it either new textures, original soundtracks, or different gameplay. They are unique sets with strong identities. Also, your idea that just because some leaders have done very little in the past, it somehow makes it ok to still have project leaders that don't contribute much? Kind of a disgusting one if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

What's wrong with a mapset of more vanilla techbases? The theme was overdone by 1996, but that didn't stop the vracks and saturnx's and s.t.r.a.i.n.'s of the world from being made. Quite a few major wads have had zero or nearly zero content contributed by their project managers btw, the "you should do it this way" group think in here is kinda depressing.

I apologize if I (or anyone else) came off the wrong way. I personally just feel that a stronger set of themes would help the project flourish more.

Also, I do want to join this project. I'll sign up for Map 30. I've actually not made a techbase in awhile, so being able to get back into something of that theme should be fun.

30 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

What's wrong with a mapset of more vanilla techbases? The theme was overdone by 1996, but that didn't stop the vracks and saturnx's and s.t.r.a.i.n.'s of the world from being made.

Looking at btsx, it's pretty obvious how the maps set themselves apart from the "usual 'nilla tech base". You'd have to be blind on both eyes to not see how different the maps are in spite of being "techbases".

33 minutes ago, Vorpal said:

Quite a few major wads have had zero or nearly zero content contributed by their project managers btw

Cool, then what were the "project managers" even good for, besides "having an idea"? I'm currently signed up as playtester for a project where the "lead" is entirely disfunctional, at the very least partially gameplay illiterate, and for the most part "all talk and no show". Said project has one single motivated mapper at the moment, and that mapper is the only person in the mapping department to get anything done in a timely manner or in general. Basically, if the project lead sucks on all fronts, there's a non-zero chance the entire project is born dead, because nobody's there to give directions or feedback, let alone be a bloody role model and put out content to keep people interested or draw new folks in.

And that's why the "this is how it should be done groupthink" has established itself. People have learned, from experience over time, that certain routines help with pushing projects forward by keeping participants motivated. And you simply don't get that sort of motivation going if all you "contribute" is faffing about and making yourself seem important despite not having any actual function at all. And just because you had the idea to start anything it doesn't mean you should be leading the entire thing. In the end that idea needs to be executed, and if you can't be arsed to execute your own damn idea: Get the fuck out, and make room for somebody who does get shit done. It's that simple.

Hey anybody remember that silly xx,xxx hell knights cp where the project leaders dipped out and all those maps built on a silly concept, but with real work out into them are all sitting around collecting dust cause the project lead doesn't understand the mapping format he chose for others to use?