Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

10 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

I tend to disagree. There can never be too many techbase maps.

Does the concept "too many techbase maps" even exist?

3 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

Probably a silly question, but must the maps be completable from a pistol start?

Yes, thank you I should update the rules for that.

1 minute ago, ZeMystic said:

Yes, thank you I should update the rules for that.

Cool. Working on something right now, not sure where it'll go but I'm planning on E3.

Hi, just having some questions:

- Can't you put a texture pack of sorts for other people to use, for at least don't have cloned textures all around (a good example of this is 1monster megawad)? Or at least giving a link to the used texture pack, so other people can use it?

- Difficulty of maps are relevant or not? From what I get this project is more in the spirit of "make a damn techbase map for the lulz" than a classic megawad with some kind of difficulty progression in it...

- isn't the deadline too short? Maybe August or September?

- What do you have in mind for secret maps?

However good luck with the project, reminds me of eviltech... Is a interesting project!

22 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Hi, just having some questions:

- Can't you put a texture pack of sorts for other people to use, for at least don't have cloned textures all around (a good example of this is 1monster megawad)? Or at least giving a link to the used texture pack, so other people can use it?

- Difficulty of maps are relevant or not? From what I get this project is more in the spirit of "make a damn techbase map for the lulz" than a classic megawad with some kind of difficulty progression in it...

- isn't the deadline too short? Maybe August or September?

- What do you have in mind for secret maps?

However good luck with the project, reminds me of eviltech... Is a interesting project!

Ive been thinking of the texture pack, and I've working on it all morning, it should be done hopefully tonight.

So far I think the difficulty and progression isn't that relevant as long as you don't go from easy map straight to slaughter map, any thing that's way too difficult I'll definitely asked to be difficult.

I picked a time that seemed alright, but I'll move it to september to be safe.

I'm not entirely sure for secret maps, but I do want them to stand out.

Thank you so much!

21 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Ive been thinking of the texture pack, and I've working on it all morning, it should be done hopefully tonight.

So far I think the difficulty and progression isn't that relevant as long as you don't go from easy map straight to slaughter map, any thing that's way too difficult I'll definitely asked to be difficult.

I picked a time that seemed alright, but I'll move it to september to be safe.

I'm not entirely sure for secret maps, but I do want them to stand out.

Thank you so much!

It should include the "doom1 textures for doom2" there are many techy nice textures absent in doom2, I need those for the map I have in mind.

EDIT: c o m p o h s o

20 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

Vanilla/Chocolate Compatible

If there's one thing I'd get rid off if I was you it's chocolate Doom compatibility. At least make it limit removing so mappers don't have to keep an eye on the visplane count all the time. Strict vanilla is literally asking for trouble, and it's quite unlikely in general that maps get tested so thoroughly that you have any way to be 100% on the safe side when you release the project to the public. Someone is going to get hit by that one archvile in that one spot and crashes choco with a visplane overflow you never even saw coming.

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

If there's one thing I'd get rid off if I was you it's chocolate Doom compatibility. At least make it limit removing so mappers don't have to keep an eye on the visplane count all the time. Strict vanilla is literally asking for trouble, and it's quite unlikely in general that maps get tested so thoroughly that you have any way to be 100% on the safe side when you release the project to the public. Someone is going to get hit by that one archvile in that one spot and crashes choco with a visplane overflow you never even saw coming.

Chocolate Doom has been my main source port, It's what I usually use to play Co-Op with my sister. If the issue of visplane limits become an issue, and/or too many people put it in the wrong format, I'll remove the rule, Ill only go limit removing and not something ridiculous like UDMF formats.

1 minute ago, ZeMystic said:

If the issue of visplane limits become an issue, and/or too many people put it in the wrong format, I'll remove the rule, Ill only go limit removing and not something ridiculous like UDMF formats.

Limit removing is not something that has much to do with actual mapping formats. It's all about what it says on the box, it removes limits, including visplanes, sprites, and the number of moving sectors you can have at any given time, and this is still true even if the mapping format in question is simply "doom2".

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Limit removing is not something that has much to do with actual mapping formats. It's all about what it says on the box, it removes limits, including visplanes, sprites, and the number of moving sectors you can have at any given time, and this is still true even if the mapping format in question is simply "doom2".

Right, my bad.

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I remember using a program called visplane detector or something, it worked very well, it scans all the map and shows you the troublesome areas. Sometimes all you have to do is to move a window or change some floor /ceiling height, sometimes the layout is too complex and you just can't go for vanilla.

Yeah, regarding the format, I think people need to know what vanilla really is and how to check it before they commit, but man, can it be a pain. I've seen lots of maps that are "vanilla except that one thing, so limit-removing."

So if you change this to limit-removing, I'd be very inclined to join. If you do that and drop the coop requirement, I'd say I'm in for sure. Not that I'm anybody, haha, but just saying...

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

Yeah, regarding the format, I think people need to know what vanilla really is and how to check it before they commit, but man, can it be a pain. I've seen lots of maps that are "vanilla except that one thing, so limit-removing."

So if you change this to limit-removing, I'd be very inclined to join. If you do that and drop the coop requirement, I'd say I'm in for sure. Not that I'm anybody, haha, but just saying...

Hell, sure why not, consider it done.

sounds good might try 2 make a level for this, ill take slot 6 or 10 (don't mind just don't want the dead simple slot XD)

Whoa. Vanilla to Boom is a huge jump. If you don't understand the difference, limit removing in Doom 2 format is literally vanilla mapping without the headache of visplane overflows, etc. There are no additional line actions. Boom involves a host of additional bells and whistles, such as simple "quality of life" additions to the predefined line actions (such as silent teleporters), and the whole beast of generalized actions, including things like differentiating keycards and skull keys.

With over a dozen signed up already and a major format change... I mean, this changes things quite significantly. 

1 minute ago, HAK3180 said:

Whoa. Vanilla to Boom is a huge jump. If you don't understand the difference, limit removing in Doom 2 format is literally vanilla mapping without the headache of visplane overflows, etc. There are no additional line actions. Boom involves a host of additional bells and whistles, such as simple "quality of life" additions to the predefined line actions (such as silent teleporters), and the whole beast of generalized actions, including things like differentiating keycards and skull keys.

With over a dozen signed up already and a major format change... I mean, this changes things quite significantly. 

My exact thoughts. Better change it to limit-removing, but i'm ok with boom compatibility too...

7 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

My exact thoughts. Better change it to limit-removing, but i'm ok with boom compatibility too...

right my bad.

10 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Right my bad, I only ever used vanilla and boom, so sorry my dumbass, lmao

I guess I'll take 21. I don't really know what "Weapons Manufacturing" means, but sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Someone is going to get hit by that one archvile in that one spot and crashes choco with a visplane overflow you never even saw coming.

That is a very specific scenario you have there. You wouldn't happen to be referencing Neurosphere from Plutonia, would you? Besides, if everyone worried about major "what-ifs" such as this, vanilla / chocolate mapping would be long dead. There are ways to work around such problems that arise, and that's part of the charm of vanilla / chocolate mapping, is it not?

51 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Hell, sure why not, consider it done.

The project feels like it is quickly losing what made it unique. By whittling away a couple things at a time, we've gone from vanilla techbase maps set in space to the typical early nukebase levels that we can go crazy with. 

1 hour ago, JustCallMeKaito said:

That is a very specific scenario you have there. You wouldn't happen to be referencing Neurosphere from Plutonia, would you? Besides, if everyone worried about major "what-ifs" such as this, vanilla / chocolate mapping would be long dead. There are ways to work around such problems that arise, and that's part of the charm of vanilla / chocolate mapping, is it not?

The project feels like it is quickly losing what made it unique. By whittling away a couple things at a time, we've gone from vanilla techbase maps set in space to the typical early nukebase levels that we can go crazy with. 

I'll give it two more days two settle in rules, and then I'll finally make the decision based on the conversation everybody has. I apologize for the whiplash with rules and such, but alot of people give good ideas, and I want to be able make something great, despite only being a techbase Megawad.

I also want to be able to please everybody with this project, so please forgive me for randomly switching rules around.

Edited by ZeMystic : Changed my mind, my rules are gonna be final.

If it's still available, I'll take MAP27 (Not sure if I need to theme it as a tech-y version of monster condo but I might have an "idea" around the enemies).

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

If it's still available, I'll take MAP27 (Not sure if I need to theme it as a tech-y version of monster condo but I might have an "idea" around the enemies).

Consider it done my friend, enjoy. Also I love the idea.

Hey, is map13 open? I'd love to make something, haven't dipped my toes into vanilla mapping too much, so I'd love to make something cute for this project.

Just now, Egg Boy said:

Hey, is map13 open? I'd love to make something, haven't dipped my toes into vanilla mapping too much, so I'd love to make something cute for this project.

Go for it.