Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

50 minutes ago, ShadesMaster said:

I've updated my MAP23 slot to work in Chocolate doom by replacing the problem texture with BROWN1. It's a shame, it was the more vibrant tan version of that texture I was trying to use for outer building walls, too....

Also added a few Revenants, Mancs and a Baron... otherwise, it's the same. Updated my original post, too.

Map Name: Processing Station

Music MIDI: mus_e1m6

File: Oops!ShadesTek23.zip

CREDITS: ID software

I've played and I see your love for doom 1, excellent texture choices, a mix of E1 and E2, as already said you can make it a little harder.

Two more suggestions, 1) in the first big open area there is a hell knight that could be better hidden. 2) since you can't open the red door manually from behind it could be better not to use the red key texture from the "inside"

Just suggestions, the map is fine as it is, it was fun to go through!

@ZeMystic I've played your map05, it's a good map, visually and with good combat, although I feel you were way too generous with the shells and health, again, suggestions, I hope to see more stuff like that!

Edited by nicolas monti

@ZeMystic I too, played Sector-Z, fun map, lots of square rooms, but very nicely detailed for vanilla! I'm a sucker for those light brown textures mixed with metal (reminds me of NRFTL/Nerve.wad). Short and sweet, that's how I like'em! The opening reminded me of that one plutonia map, forgetting the name, but it's the one where you start on a structure similar to this one.

Progress, and there's definitely a huge difference in difficulties, as requested. MAP26 about halfway done now already... I just need some more detail after the foundation is laid. Keep in mind it has been several years since I've made an actual map.

screenshot.jpg

Feel free to criticize the hell out of my map, for constructive purposes. I realize there are still some misaligned textures in places, working on that, plus a lot more detail than what I have...

Also, it's VERY straightforward at the moment. For now it simply ends at the blue door instead of continuing on through that and the red one. I have plans for those sections.

MAP26.zip

Edited by dybbuk

My level might be too weird...

I imagine its done except the detail, all weapons exist or can be obtained, let me know how bad it sucks in the morning

: )

MAP26.zip

@HAK3180 do you ever critique levels outside of your thread? if you have time mine could probably use it haha.

5 hours ago, dybbuk said:

I imagine its done except the detail, all weapons exist or can be obtained, let me know how bad it sucks in the morning

MAP26.zip

@HAK3180 do you ever critique levels outside of your thread? if you have time mine could probably use it haha.

I'll try it once I get off work 

@dybbuk, sure, I do! Here are some thoughts as they occurred to me:

• I did not play on Chocolate, so I cannot comment on VPOs, etc.
  • I like how the map opens up with multiple surprises right at the beginning
  • If you can spare the visplanes, maybe create some more sectors (or might be able to do it with just one more) to use the corresponding ceiling that is not a light. The whole ceiling being full of lights looks a little weird. You could use some CEIL5_1 and some CEIL3_5
  • I survived the initial battle on my first attempt with 0 bullets and 9 shells. The unpredictability of pain elementals calls for erring on the side of too much ammo.
  • The fight is kind of interesting, but it's also possible to get the pain elemental wave by itself, which would be a bit tedious. Even all together, I think the number of pain elementals is a little high. What might keep it interesting without changing monsters would be to put an early plasma gun but without any additional ammo until you were going to give it up later
  • I like the empty hall with lots of light contrast
  • Had to punch a hell knight and a spectre
  • The arena thing is weird. I triggered the Spider Demon first. I just rushed in there and shot it from point blank with plasma and grabbed the megasphere when I got low on health. Doomguy with >200 cells and 200 armor vs. Spider in a stand-there-and-shoot-match generally ends swiftly in a dead spider. I never even noticed the rocket alcove until later, which means a simple duel with a cyberdemon in plenty of space with lots of cells.
  • The whole section was a little reminiscent of Mill...
  • You probably are not out of segs there, and the persistent compyellow is pretty bland. If you have the visplanes, maybe make some "tiers" in there to mix up the textures
  • The overall concept of continually going up to the next level is cool
  • The amount of space you have when dealing with the demons makes it a trivial task, just a time sponge. And I hate using chainsaw, so for me it was a bit of an ammo sponge too.
  • Actually pretty much that whole hallway that starts with the demons is one-directional threats with lots of space.
  • It seems weird that I'm still at 0 shells
  • The yellow key is a mandatory secret?
  • The room with the nukage paths is again too big to present any real challenge
  • The nukage tunnel was only slightly problematic for me because I had very low ammo and I accidentally grabbed both suits early. 
  • If the four Spiders are meant as a cute gimmick, okay, but that fight's never gonna be problematic for anybody.
  • After the spiders, the slight ammo shortage that had pervaded the map is entirely reversed
  • The cacodemon section is the first time the enemies' strengths seem to be intentionally utilized. That's what Doom combat needs to be about.
  • Finished 93/97/75
  • I looked in the editor for the BFG. What good does it do at the very end of the map?
  • I'll be honest: I got progressively more bored the more I played. I think it's for two main reasons. (1) Some of the aspects of linearity make the map appear to drag on. You often don't know what's next. Players like to be able to guess at what might be coming or be able to say, "Ahh, that's how it all connects." For all you know, the blue key could be the exit. Then there's a whole other section. Then it turns out there's a red key. The spot after the nukage paths you ascend the stairs and do 3 or 4 different fights to unlock the same kind of door. Looking at the automap outline, you can kinda tell that it's a pretty linear map dominated by "room-next room-next room" style gameplay. (2) Most of the combat is tedious. There's very little height variety in the actual fights. There's too much space in most of the fights. The monsters aren't really used to their strengths, with the exception of putting flying monsters in an area where you're stuck in a little maze whose ledges are too high. You use the plasma gun for the majority of the map.
  • Visually, there's a lot of flat walls and ceilings, but some of the lighting is pretty good.
  • I like the philosophy here overall: it's a little bit trippy and kinda insidious (again, Mill vibes). I think channeling some of these ideas into more conventional layouts and well thought gameplay would yield some great maps.

14 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

@ZeMystic I too, played Sector-Z, fun map, lots of square rooms, but very nicely detailed for vanilla! I'm a sucker for those light brown textures mixed with metal (reminds me of NRFTL/Nerve.wad). Short and sweet, that's how I like'em! The opening reminded me of that one plutonia map, forgetting the name, but it's the one where you start on a structure similar to this one.

I was inspired by the opening to Baron's Lair so thats what I opened it out with. I use graph paper when planning maps so they tend to be very square.

How about SMGLASS1 from TNT? It's a great mid texture and my goto for bullet/soundproof windows.

Seconding this togheter with a lava falls texture that replace DBRAINx... 

Also hand-scribbled a layout this evening before lunch:

scansione0001.jpg.4bba63687bf9b96d01a68a4e216be38a.jpg

Edited by Walter confetti : added layout picture

6 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I thought I was the only one doing this, it saves time, you just execute the ideas in the editor.

11 hours ago, nicolas monti said:

I thought I was the only one doing this, it saves time, you just execute the ideas in the editor.

It is actually a inspiration i've got at the moment, is a really rare thing that I draw layouts instead of making them on the editor....

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

It is actually a inspiration i've got at the moment, is a really rare thing that I draw layouts instead of making them on the editor....

Ohh, I do it frequently because inspiration is umpredictable, also it's easier and faster change things with a pen and rubber (don't know if it's the usual word).

@dybbuk on your map26

I liked a lot, the athmosphere, the texturing, lighting, layout and interconnectivity, also I think the first fight is too hard, not enough ammo, a bit frustrating, I managed to kill all the pain elementals and lost souls but no enough ammo left for the barons and hell knight so I had to go down the elevator evading them, once you get the plasma things go smoothly, I'd put more shells and a green armor at the beginning of take away 2 pain elementals.

I've also been able to get into the outside area with the chaingunners since a step is very close to the windows, you could make those windows impassable or better, you can make that area a secret and a way to get back inside.

Also noted a HOM caused by the big round sector that lowers and raises from a corridor nearby, put lower textues in every side that communicates other sectors.

In short, I felt very out of ammo and health, escaping and provoking infighting just to survive at the first portion and afterwards I felt ammo was too much, specifically cells.

As a whole a very unique map, with some minor adjustments regarding to item placement the map will be fine.

3 minutes ago, Angry Saint said:

Let's see who get the reference...

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_192517.png

Doom 2016 first level?

7 minutes ago, dybbuk said:

Doom 2016 first level?

Yes.

It's a lot of time since I last mapped, to get back in the mood I started copying with some "easy" area. Totally not sure I will draw the rest: the area outside would not appear enough good in vanilla Doom.

It is also a good excuse to play Doom 2016 again

Cool bridge for cool guys (yes you can walk on it, it's actually where you start)

image.png.411e37b141b5be4c96b96019aa999eb0.png

53 minutes ago, Angry Saint said:

Let's see who get the reference...

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_192517.png

Maybe you did this just for the screenie, but be careful testing in GZDoom (or is it prboom?), the map has to be vanilla compatible, so be sure to test in chocolate doom.

23 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I also do this.

1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

Maybe you did this just for the screenie, but be careful testing in GZDoom (or is it prboom?), the map has to be vanilla compatible, so be sure to test in chocolate doom.

For Vanilla I usually map checking visplane&stuff limits, and using zdoom for some quick check. Then I do a deeper checking playtesting it with Boom/Chocolate.

I prefer to add too much details and remove it to reach the vanilla limits than to map already with limits which I only have to worry about.

I've not been highly active with this map but it's coming along nicely. Here's a few screensies of Plasma Labs [alpha build?]:

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235940.png.a5939462f99a149f3ed8c755c38171b7.png

Opening room for player starts 1 + 2

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235947.png.d3a22248dfe07e34ce845a4108f5b948.png

One dead chaingunner in the lobby

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235959.png.a545f52aad57f734435d11f64d406473.png

This weirdly turned out better than I expected O_O

Screenshot_Doom_20190602_000004.png.1a2c33368d678df5538cdff74d4669e5.png

Hell Knights? What could this mean? ;)

20 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I've not been highly active with this map but it's coming along nicely. Here's a few screensies of Plasma Labs [alpha build?]:

it looks like you have a sloped ceiling and transparent textures there, but those features aren't available in vanilla map format :(.

you should go and set the map to doom 2 format and test it in chocolate doom (which crashes under same conditions as vanilla doom does).

vanilla bombs out if you look at it funny, and on more than one occasion i've built a level in vanilla before testing it, found out that it crashes and had to completely gut the detailing >_< don't make the same mistake as i did!

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235940.png.a5939462f99a149f3ed8c755c38171b7.png

Opening room for player starts 1 + 2

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235947.png.d3a22248dfe07e34ce845a4108f5b948.png

One dead chaingunner in the lobby

Screenshot_Doom_20190601_235959.png.a545f52aad57f734435d11f64d406473.png

This weirdly turned out better than I expected O_O

Screenshot_Doom_20190602_000004.png.1a2c33368d678df5538cdff74d4669e5.png

Yeah thats in an entirely new format then what the rules stated, this is using 3-D Floors and slopes and those aren't compatible with Vanilla Doom at all.

DO NOT DELETE THIS MAP

This is still really good and impressive, just not for this project.

If you want to test what is compatible and what isn't, I'd test things using this source port here which resembles vanilla 100%

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

1 minute ago, ZeMystic said:

Yeah thats in an entirely new format then what the rules stated, this is using 3-D Floors and slopes and those aren't compatible with Vanilla Doom at all.

DO NOT DELETE THIS MAP

This is still really good and impressive, just not for this project.

If you want to test what is compatible and what isn't, I'd test things using this source port here which resembles vanilla 100%

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Downloads

I like the pics, maybe he could do a vanilla version of it, using multiple sectors for the arches instead of slopes, some fake bridge for the 3d floor section, etc.

1 minute ago, nicolas monti said:

I like the pics, maybe he could do a vanilla version of it, using multiple sectors for the arches instead of slopes, some fake bridge for the 3d floor section, etc.

He should absolutely make a vanilla version of it, I'm just don't want him to delete the fancy stuff from this, he should copy the same plan and design lay out for the vanilla version of the wad, but the gzdoom features and all should stay in a separate version because it really isn't good to delete work.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:55 AM, dybbuk said:

MAP26.zip

Going through your level a couple things I notice, all of it feels very plain and boxy, with missing textures and various empty rooms that just serve as monster arenas with no other purpose to serve and no detail, the texture choice also feels weird, using an abundance of TANROCK7, SKIN2, SFLR 6_4, and RROCK04 make it less techbasey. I also feel that the opening is very very hard.

On the good notes of things, I enjoy the expansive layout of the map, and the elevator bit is pretty fun.  The monster choice feels right for a MAP26 so good job on that.

7 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Cool bridge for cool guys (yes you can walk on it, it's actually where you start)

image.png.411e37b141b5be4c96b96019aa999eb0.png

That looks fucking cool and I can't like a post twice which sucks.

10 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Going through your level a couple things I notice, all of it feels very plain and boxy, with missing textures and various empty rooms that just serve as monster arenas with no other purpose to serve and no detail, the texture choice also feels weird, using an abundance of TANROCK7, SKIN2, SFLR 6_4, and RROCK04 make it less techbasey. I also feel that the opening is very very hard.

On the good notes of things, I enjoy the expansive layout of the map, and the elevator bit is pretty fun.  The monster choice feels right for a MAP26 so good job on that.

Although I work quite a bit at the post office and have little time, this is due pretty far away. I'll take all the criticism into account when i open it back up.

To those posting handdrawn maps i do that too! I just had to omit a section because it was getting too long. I may try to start fresh and offer this as a super secret map33 instead if the vanilla warp code allows that, which I think it does.

I guess I still got kudos from all three reviewers which is cool for having made 3 maps since 1999 Haha. I may add the omitted section back and tweak this map unless I feel like just building a new level with the same well-liked parts.

Edit: Maybe we could not mention there is even a 33 bonus and let others figure it out if they open the wad. Itll be like that No Alternative compilation in the 90s that had a hidden uncredited Nirvana song

I guess everyone is playing on skill level 4 when I test it in 1. I really need to sharpen my skills!

13 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

That looks fucking cool and I can't like a post twice which sucks.

This makes me really wish we could do floor above floor