Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

43 minutes ago, dybbuk said:

I guess everyone is playing on skill level 4 when I test it in 1. I really need to sharpen my skills!

You have to test it in UV at least, you're making difficulty blindly, as I said before, I really like the map, taking the criticism into account would make it a great addition to the megawad. Also I think it fits slot 26.

4 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

I see you changed the rules from limit removing to Vanilla... Well that's put a huge spanner in the works. >.<

Limit removing1 allows more detail than vanilla, but it does not allow the likes of sloped ceilings. Either way, the game configuration should have been Doom 2. Your shots don't look like there's too much detail for vanilla, so it probably wouldn't be too hard to get the map to conform.

1 it's not necessarily the best term, because I guess one could argue that lacking the features of Boom or UDMF is a "limit," but "limit-removing" is used as a technical term to mean basically "Doom (2) format without dealing with these." Limit-removing means testing in Crispy or PrBoom+ -cl2/3.

Well after trying to "convert" to vanilla, yeah this plan wont work. I'll have to drastically scrap it due to quite a few issues in my design. For one, having invisible walls so the Hell Knights don't get alerted is going to be tedious. 2, I have NO idea how to pre-kill hell knights without scripts and 3, without a carry floor feature I can't do the mass production idea (I know about the "conveyor" bug for vanilla).

Don't be surprised if I drop out in the next few days :l

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Well after trying to "convert" to vanilla, yeah this plan wont work. I'll have to drastically scrap it due to quite a few issues in my design. For one, having invisible walls so the Hell Knights don't get alerted is going to be tedious. 2, I have NO idea how to pre-kill hell knights without scripts and 3, without a carry floor feature I can't do the mass production idea (I know about the "conveyor" bug for vanilla).

Don't be surprised if I drop out in the next few days :l

there's ways to do those without breaking vanilla (including the conveyor if you don't want the player to interact with the things on it), if you give me the level i could try (no promise though) to make the level vanilla compatible :)

@DynamiteKaitorn,

#1 happens in iwad maps. First example I think of is TNT Map 31 Pharaoh with the six arachnotrons. 

As for #2, I actually did this in the most recent map I released. I started the player near a line you can’t avoid that activates a floor height change that crushes like 40 barrels that take down two barons long before Doomguy can see them alive or the barrels. There are a few other ways to kill monsters “behind the scenes” too. 

Not exactly sure what you’re trying to do with #3. 

But yeah, xdarkmasterx puts out a vanilla map about every 12 hours, so I’d let him have a go at it.

Here's some screenshots, I've been a bit slow, mainly making no progress at all, but tonight I finally started on the interior.

Spoiler

image.png.32406f34b9c4033d5972cca4b15841a7.png

Outside the base

image.png.357e9af4ae9cb0928145e988cc559a67.png

There's an SSG behind those vines.

image.png.2b7df43f7d979e0c9ecbea956c7f632e.png

A chainsaw for those who like to fight lost souls

image.png.9cae6a6ab0396507f4226bcd85caba43.png

I wonder what happens when you flip that switch?

I'd say I'm about a third done, I'd like the map to be about 6 or 7 minutes long. Short but brutal.

my new map is done. it is tested on UV HMP and HNTR but perhaps medium could stand to be a bit easier. it has a lot of ammo so i took the later level slot

level was checked using visplane explorer, with all doors open, and didn't find any errors

6DocUKd.png

map name: Chemical Weapons Research

music MIDI: D_DTTBLU (if you want a music not from vanilla doom 2 i can find somewhere else)

link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ce7kfpjo6u66zi/chemwep.wad?dl=0

credits: ZeMystic for texturepack

PS i noticed my name appears twice in level list, so anyone else can have my level slot if they want and i haven't started yet

EDIT: level slightly updated (fixed some textures and a trap that could potentially lock you out)

EDIT 2: fixed potentially gamebreaking error

Edited by xdarkmasterx

3 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

my new map is done. it is tested on UV HMP and HNTR but perhaps medium could stand to be a bit easier. it has a lot of ammo so i took the later level slot

Pretty amazing map. Had to play on HNTR because I was getting my ass kicked by hitscanners. I played on PR-Boom+ (that's what I play with casually) but I doubt there are any issues in chocolate doom as it seems like you tested it extensively. anywho, the step down from HMP to HNTR was massive and I would agree that HMP could stand to be easier. I finished HNTR with nearly 100 health and medkits to spare. But ultimately that's your decision. I think the best aspect of this map is the non linearity. You start right in front of a door and the map is almost structured like a death match map. The keys are in 3 separate arenas you can visit at your leisure. Also for the red key, there's this huge room, and I flipped the switch expecting a huge fight, then... nothing. I don't know if you were going for humor there, but I would keep it, it's really funny.

@xdarkmasterx you map is gorgeous, but I must say is very hard on UV, I'm not that kind of guy that complains about too difficult, but I'm dying a lot and saving a lot, maybe is just me, I feel like the player needs an armor sooner in the progression because the map is filled with hitscanners that surround you everytime, I was running in circles most of the time trying not to he hit on my back, sure, I'll be able to finish it on UV but not playing the way I'd like, and relying too much on luck, I hope this is mostly me being just bad and you don't have to change the difficulty too much.

44 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

for the red key, there's this huge room, and I flipped the switch expecting a huge fight, then... nothing. I don't know if you were going for humor there, but I would keep it, it's really funny. 

that's funny, the switch there only opens the way back out again :p

15 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

@xdarkmasterx you map is gorgeous, but I must say is very hard on UV, I'm not that kind of guy that complains about too difficult, but I'm dying a lot and saving a lot, maybe is just me, I feel like the player needs an armor sooner in the progression

well, i made HMP similar to UV for that reason, but it gives you armour earlier along with some other changes (more deaf monsters, much less archviles at the red key fight and not so many revenants and strong hitscanners), maybe you can play on that mode and see if the map is still challenging

25 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

Yeah I know, but it's a pretty large room, which is why it's funny.

39 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

well, i made HMP similar to UV for that reason, but it gives you armour earlier along with some other changes (more deaf monsters, much less archviles at the red key fight and not so many revenants and strong hitscanners), maybe you can play on that mode and see if the map is still challenging

I completed the map on UV, circa 150 bullets and 50 shells left, once you get the rocket launcher and exit the red key trap things go smoothly, I wish the first part was not that hard, maybe moving some enemies from the beginning to the other keys areas would do it but if you're happy with the map as it is is ok, at least now I have a better idea about how to beat it.

Good thing I didn't start making a map for this until I saw the requirements to it being vanilla had changed.

I've started work on my map. My hope is that it is not too ambitious.

So Vanilla Doom does not like splitting middle textures? Chocolate and Chocorender crash immediately if a linedef that has an “unnecessary” middle texture is split and the textures are different. Didn’t know about this. What limit/bug is this?

4 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

So Vanilla Doom does not like splitting middle textures? Chocolate and Chocorender crash immediately if a linedef that has an “unnecessary” middle texture is split and the textures are different. Didn’t know about this. What limit/bug is this?

You can do a sector with 0 height inserted in your wall so you can combine 2 textures or tile some with less than 128 units high.

@nicolas monti, I don't think I was clear enough.

Spoiler

The horizontal line that is split is a "false wall," if you will. If both textures are the same, fine. If they are different, immediate crash.

Different.JPG.62cae4bc21e32e8d11fedcefa49b6578.JPG

No crash:

427961657_nocrash.JPG.1c5632bdcda2387c405035fa2e72219d.JPG

Crash:

Crash.JPG.2a391f9e1c25ab134ba631528a758b15.JPG

On 6/2/2019 at 3:32 AM, dybbuk said:

I guess everyone is playing on skill level 4 when I test it in 1. I really need to sharpen my skills!

Test your map with invulnerability (iddqd) and gauge how much damage the player would take. Takes some skill to pull of sure, but nothing insurmountable. I do it all the time.

26 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

Hide contents

The horizontal line that is split is a "false wall," if you will. If both textures are the same, fine. If they are different, immediate crash.

Different.JPG.62cae4bc21e32e8d11fedcefa49b6578.JPG

No crash:

427961657_nocrash.JPG.1c5632bdcda2387c405035fa2e72219d.JPG

Crash:

oh, never tried that, I'd try playing with the sectors, splitting the area so the textures are indexed for different sectors OR putting some 1 unit sector between the walls.

I have to throw in a general comment. While I rarely dig through these big projects or play them, I love to see how the community bands together to make something greater. A great grab bag of styles, creativity, and fun. Viewing screen shots and photos of WIP pencil and paper maps is so enjoyable to behold. Thanks for pitching in!

Well, I have no idea what I've come upon here, but after further investigation it seems that

• in Chocorender, the game will crash if certain textures are used as "unnecessary" middle textures (such as false walls). Period. The game will not load if the player can see said texture from spawn;
  • in Chocolate Doom, the game will not load if the player can see those certain textures from spawn. However, the game will not crash upon seeing it, but those they will not display correctly at all and eventually turn to a mass of tutti fruit.
  • The basic rule of thumb seems to be that this bug affects any texture that contains more than one patch.
  • There seems to be an "exemption" for most textures that are 256 long, such as COMPUTE1 and WOOD1, but the bug does occur on STONE.

I found a weird bug that didn't make appear ASHWALL2 in game:

Spoiler

xRAzHqt.png

9WLtl0W.png

It happens only with ASHWALL2, other ASHWALLx textures works fine...

Also what i've transposed so far from the drawned layout, so far is just the northen section:

MefCxjR.png

@ZeMystic I seem to be getting texture errors with the texture pack. I am using doom builder 2.

texture_error.png

e1 - it seem to work when I switch format to boom. How  come?

e2 - There don't seem to be any flats associated with this map pack. Is that intentional ?

Getting some sketches done this weekend of map 31 while I'm on vacation and will start blocking it out Sunday.

It being a secret map to me means it should be (or have) something special and I think I have that on lock. Just need to get it nailed.

10 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I found a weird bug that didn't make appear ASHWALL2 in game:

Hide contents

xRAzHqt.png

9WLtl0W.png

It happens only with ASHWALL2, other ASHWALLx textures works fine...

Also what i've transposed so far from the drawned layout, so far is just the northen section:

MefCxjR.png

Ill take a look and see what I can fix.

9 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

@ZeMystic I seem to be getting texture errors with the texture pack. I am using doom builder 2.

texture_error.png

e1 - it seem to work when I switch format to boom. How  come?

e2 - There don't seem to be any flats associated with this map pack. Is that intentional ?

Good question.

I am using GZDoom Builder and its working fine their, how are you using the texture pack? opening it as a resource? or importing it through slade?

23 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Hide contents

Crash:

That looks like the closest thing you can get to techbase FIREBLU, lmao.

Edited by ZeMystic

27 minutes ago, ZeMystic said:

Good question.

I am using GZDoom Builder and its working fine their, how are you using the texture pack? opening it as a resource? or importing it through slade?

I am opening it as a resource, yes.