Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

Map Name: Toxic Asteroid
Midi: "Easel" by James Paddock
Par: 1:30
Credits: ID Software for the original game, ZeMystic for extra textures, and James Paddock for the midi.

Screenshot_Doom_20190614_063110.png

Edited by JustCallMeKaito

On 6/14/2019 at 7:44 AM, JustCallMeKaito said:

Map Name: Toxic Asteroid
Midi: "Easel" by James Paddock
Par: 1:30
Credits: ID Software for the original game, ZeMystic for extra textures, and James Paddock for the midi.

Screenshot_Doom_20190614_063110.png

Good opener, great detail and consistent theme, some nice lighting tricks for the acid,  a little tight with the amount of ammo and health, had to use the pistol most of the time, not a bad thing except when I had to kill the hell knight. just one advice, the exit is not marked, anything else seems fine!

Edited by nicolas monti

Yes! Finally something playable to show you!

I think that needs better health placement imo, but is finished:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/98c2q8842xrfr0b/map20.wad/file

Title: XYZ

Author: Walter "daimon" Confalonieri

Build time: 14 days

Music: Rush - YYZ, midi author is unknown (got it from midimelody.ru)

Description: Uh, it's a foundry sets in the middle of a lava sea. Rusty pieces of something big is scattered all around the place. What it could be? Some kind of experimental weapon?

Editor(s) used: GZDB-Bugfix, DBX2.1.3.10

Texture pack needed: Yes

As always, enjoy and give some feedback!

Edited by Walter confetti

On 6/14/2019 at 6:44 AM, JustCallMeKaito said:

[Toxic Asteroid]

I like the design and the appearance a lot. I agree ammo is a little too scarce. 

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

[XYZ]

I liked it more and more as I went through. It definitely feels TNT with a somewhat weird progression that you may not understand right away but should come to appreciate soon enough. I also really enjoyed the moments where a well placed rocket will clear the room of backward-facing enemies for you. I thought the rockets might be too abundant. On two occasions I was surprised to realize I had over 40. One other potential bit of improvement: lighting is a bit flat in some areas.

Edited by HAK3180

Map: Untitled (I'm willing to let the story unfold a bit before settling, since this will be in the traditional after-last-intermission-text slot.)

Music: "I Sawed the Demons" (Or ZeMystic can pick something else. I don't really care. Or if you want this track for yours, I'll give it up.)

Download: HAKoops21_0.9.1.wad (You do not need to load the texture pack separately)

Credits: just the Doom 1 track

About: I had absolutely no plan for this map, and unfortunately, it shows a bit, but I ended up being fairly happy with it. It can be a bit of a challenge if you don't find any of the secrets, but the more crucial ones are pretty easy. Either way, I'm definitely looking for thoughts on supply placement. I was able to get Chocorender up to 126 visplanes in one spot, but it's a very specific spot and it requires a door that keeps closing to be open, as well as a secret door to be open.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190618_135333.png.b3415bfab3fbc09dc9d2a3649279dd72.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190618_135527.png.7ea27a7cfc3258bfef4cec689c48c66a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190618_140026.png.d5cc810d7c7b357229726c44103405e9.png

Changelog

Spoiler

18 June 2019: version 0.9 - original release

11 August 2019: version 0.9.1

• lighting levels in blinking room have been fixed
  • height of hell noble trap closet has been changed for aesthetic purposes
  • a pillar that was invisible from certain vantage points due to sky has been moved
  • a potential softlock near the end was fixed

Edited by HAK3180 : version 0.9.1

@Walter confetti I just played your map, great map with lots of interconnectivity, effective combat, being attacked from every direction, I only had trouble seeing the downward stair to the exit, I flipped the switch and then returned to the central area not knowing what was going on, sure there are ways to fix that but maybe it was just me. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and the progression felt rewarding.

@HAK3180 excellent map for my taste, I enjoyed the theme, texturing, layout, and the sense of "place" the map has, the combat is varied and highly effective, the green compohso maze does the job in that you feel always surrounded and threatened. I also felt the balance was perfect, being forced to change my weapons at times but always with something to fight back.

I think theese maps add top quality to the project.

Edited by nicolas monti

34 minutes ago, nicolas monti said:

@Walter confetti I just played your map, great map with lots of interconnectivity, efective combat, being attacked from every direction, I only had trouble seeing the downward stair to the exit, I flipped the switch and then returned to the central area not knowing what was going on, sure there are ways to fix that but maybe it was just me. Overall I enjoyed it a lot and the progression felt rewarding.

It lowers down the stair in the large metal room with the big window, as you wrote above... maybe i could put a teleport monster when the stairs lowers down, or something similar...

48 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

It lowers down the stair in the large metal room with the big window, as you wrote above... maybe i could put a teleport monster when the stairs lowers down, or something similar...

Yeah, maybe the switch could be higher in the room it is now (a coulple of steps up) and facing the stairs with a window near to let the player see the event on the big room.

EDIT: just revisited the map, the switch is already at a good height.

Edited by nicolas monti

fixed the map, link is the same.

Added more lighting, few more decorations and ammo, added a window in the pipe room where the switch that lower the stairs to the exit as Nicolas Monti says, also added some heavy monster spawn after the stairs get lowered, so even the over abundance of rockets should be fixed...

I caught up on some maps.

@nicolas monti, Map 06 is good. Another really cool layout. It was fun revisiting/reusing previous areas and watching the map unfold/open up. I did get lost for a bit when I forgot about the yellow door, but I’ll take responsibility for that. There was a noticeable progressive incline of difficulty that I thought was appropriate. Unfortunately, me finding secrets in this map was the example sentence of failure in the dictionary, so I was unable to kill…everything.

A couple specific things to consider: the first big trap after getting the red (?) key might be better with just one or two well placed monsters appearing behind the player out in the nukage. As it is, you can basically just spam rockets as the monsters come at you, though it still requires some precision/timing. And the only other thing is I noticed a few really big and tall areas that were monotonously textured, usually in tekgreen, I think – kinda clashed with the higher level of detail elsewhere. Really good map.

@xdarkmasterx

Map 8: Well, I’ve played enough of your maps to have a decent idea what to expect. Overall it’s a fun map with some Caged vibes. It’s definitely a harder one and I do think the rocket launcher could be given up a little bit early, especially since there are two separate necessary blue key paths, and only one gives you the rocket launcher, the one I took second of course. I appreciate how the common area continues to get repopulated with surprises for you. 

Map 10: Ah, here we go. This is quintessential xdarkmasterx: don’t dare to stop moving through an incredibly intricate layout to find three keys in any order that will allow you to exit. Oh, and did I mention brutally hard? I dared to try this on Ultra-Violence – how foolish of me! If there’s supposed to be any semblance of progressive difficulty, this needs to move back about 19 slots. My only real issue is never finding a super shotgun  or plasma gun and even getting the rocket launcher fairly late. I feel like the weapon pickups are usually doubled up in your maps but not in this one? Or maybe that’s because I usually play your maps on easy… Or maybe I was too busy running around frantically to explore properly.

@ZeMystic, I'm going to have to relinquish my claim on MAP29. I've made no progress on the map and at this point I don't think I will. Hopefully someone else has time to make an awesome map for this!

My submission is ready for testing. Please note that I have not yet been able to test in actual Vanilla or Chocolate Doom, but have used the visplane detector tool, and I think it should be fine. If there are any serious issues, let me know!

Map Name: Choose Your Own Misadventure

Music: unchanged.

File: Choose

Credits: Everyone at the "Oops! All Techbase" team, id software

@obake, I took a look in Chocolate. I finished 95/75/0 in 8:38 on Ultra Violence with a few saves and deaths. There's tutti fruit in the crate section - the cratiny. I didn't notice any other compatibility issues.

I didn't remember what slot you had, so I was trying to think what slot it might be. I would not have guessed 30. If not for the strong E3 theme, I might actually have guessed 31 or 32. It's gimmicky and whimsical and pretty fun. There's not really a lot to take in visually, but I like the concept - kinda Tricks and Traps-esque. I appreciated the major difficulty ramp for the final section; it makes it so that you do have to make sure you're prepared. That being said, I thought the BFG path and plasma path were among the easiest, and I took them first. In fact, I really only had trouble with the super shotgun path. So you start with shotgun and the key paths give you BFG, chaingun, and rocket launcher - almost makes the other paths a bit unnecessary, huh? I most certainly would have skipped the chainsaw path if not looking to render proper feedback. I would definitely consider moving a key from the BFG path to the chainsaw path. As it was, it definitely feels like I chose the "right order" - I was not at all "penalized" for trying to get big guns early. I also thought there was a bit too much cell ammo in the early part. You could probably go through most of the map with the plasma gun.

Sounds like a lot of criticism, but I do really like the idea here and the execution for the most part.

@obake The level you posted is okay but there's some serious issues.

Firstly is the difficulty. JESUS is it harsh. First time I chose a random weapon path and got my arse handed to me by the spider mastermind only because I wanted the chaingun first. After that I was able to get through most of the rooms somewhat fine but god was the red key room a jerk move. Almsot no cover, loads of former humans and a f*ckign cybie. REALLY. I didn't have enough ammo to kill it without trying to pick up the rockets in the room (and when you're focusing on the cybie blasting your ass to hell that's really hard to do).

After skipping the cyberdemon battle and heading for the exit I'm greeted with a room filled with loads of enemies and naturally I died way too often (since I had less than 50hp by then AND no armour).

The concept of the map is great, having to choose your paths carefully but it really didn't feel clear. I did like that most paths tried to stick with a theme but some themes either made little sense (like for the super shotty) or were a pain (like the chaingun, rocket launcher and to a much smaller extent, the BFG route).

Maybe some difficulty balancing is in order to help players understand what to do or where to go and maybe even reward the player every time they finish a route with a small closet of goodies.

Overall I think some cleaning is in order but otherwise I like what you have! :)

@HAK3180

@DynamiteKaitorn

Thanks for the critiques!

I've updated the map, making it both easier and harder in certain ways. The Blue Key is now routed to the Chainsaw path, meaning less stress to get all of the keys. The BFG path is now a touch more menacing, but still worth going through to get the reward. 

I agree that the map's difficulty is hard to rate. A lot matters on the paths you take, and in which order. If there are any more balance issues, please let me know. Thanks so much again for giving feedback!

Map Name: Choose Your Own Misadventure

Music: unchanged.

File: Choose2

Credits: Everyone at the "Oops! All Techbase" team, id software

So apart from moving the blue key, did you even FIX any major balancing issues I had? I was able to enter the cybie woom with 100% hp and a little bit of armour to spare and yet I STILL get my arse handed to me by him, and I think I know why. Almsot no cover and the former humans can easily pin you into a corner. Really not fun forcing the player to just skip getting 100% and grabbing the key and leave... Unless I'm expected to go to the chaingun route as the 7th path and then grab the invuln to make like easier in the cybie room, I'm still not sure on how to 100% this.

And might I add, this is on HURT ME PLENTY.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:11 PM, DJVCardMaster said:

If I still can, I'd like to take the MAP29 slot :)

Go for it.

On 7/6/2019 at 3:04 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

So apart from moving the blue key, did you even FIX any major balancing issues I had? I was able to enter the cybie woom with 100% hp and a little bit of armour to spare and yet I STILL get my arse handed to me by him, and I think I know why. Almsot no cover and the former humans can easily pin you into a corner. Really not fun forcing the player to just skip getting 100% and grabbing the key and leave... Unless I'm expected to go to the chaingun route as the 7th path and then grab the invuln to make like easier in the cybie room, I'm still not sure on how to 100% this.

And might I add, this is on HURT ME PLENTY.

I did do a little bit to make the last room more balanced.

If I recall, I removed the second cyber on the medium and lower difficulties, replacing it with some Hellknights. To be honest, I had a hard time making changes there, though, as HAK3180 liked the difficulty.

I have an idea that I will try implementing today, that should be more satisfactory. I believe adding some Knights or Barons to infight with the Cyber would help a lot, and perhaps replacing some of the Zombies with Imps, to lessen the amount of hitscanners.

Thanks again for your critiques.

Edit: Apparently, I did not remove the second cyber from medium.

I hope this rebalance works. I've changed around some of the monster placements, replaced a few of the zombies with imps, made the second cyber UV only, and added some more health. However, it is still challenging.

Choose3

@obake, I played a much different order and still enjoyed it. I like how you can see and sample the final fight after taking just one path (yellow key) but it probably won't end well for you without at least a plasma weapon. Personally, I still think the plasma gun section is too easy, but I like all the rest pretty well as they are.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:41 AM, ZeMystic said:

Alright well I'll check it out through doom builder 2 and get back to you

I still sadly have this error where either textures  either exists in doombuilder 2 but not prboom+ or doom builder 2 shows the textures as error signs.

anyone else beat Mighty G's map?  I thought it was super impressive and quite intuitive.

A lot of really cool choices to be made wrt encounters.  Had me checking my ammo counts throughout to strategize.  And the first/last fights were pretty insane.

I played it in the newest gzdoom and all the switches were offset to the side.

With the excessive amount of work I'm currently putting into Depths 2 (and, outside of the Doom community, guitar practice), I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit making my map (especially considering my kinda limited experience with vanilla mapping) into my schedule. I'll drop my MAP24 spot if anyone else wants to claim it.

@Super Mighty G, I played your map. My video is 90 minutes, so you will see it tomorrow sometime. I think it's well done, challenging, and mostly fair throughout. Ammo was a little weird. Early on it seemed my bullets and shells were unlimited and I had a hefty supply of rockets and cells. But as the map went on and tougher fights were unleashed, I ended up quite low on cells and rockets. I had to face the last encounter with no cells and 3 rockets, I believe, and I found 8/14 secrets. I was confused at times by the progression, including immediately. I actually hit one switch mid frantic fight, so it was in the SW2 position, but it lowered the opposite side, rendering that side's switch invisible. This took me several minutes to realize. I never really realized if the map could be done in any order or not. I think a second playthrough would clear a lot of the progression issues up for me, but I often felt like I was barred into one area of the map and couldn't explore as much as I would have liked in a really big map. Still, the layout and the visual touches are very good.

I think it's a good map all in all, but I do have to wonder about its place in a 32-map community megawad. It's not up to me, of course, but this thing is distinctively much bigger than any other map submitted yet, and it's not in a "traditional" outlier mapslot. I wonder if you could trade slots with DJV, who has 29. Just my $.02 on that.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

@Super Mighty G, I played your map. My video is 90 minutes, so you will see it tomorrow sometime. I think it's well done, challenging, and mostly fair throughout. Ammo was a little weird. Early on it seemed my bullets and shells were unlimited and I had a hefty supply of rockets and cells. But as the map went on and tougher fights were unleashed, I ended up quite low on cells and rockets. I had to face the last encounter with no cells and 3 rockets, I believe, and I found 8/14 secrets. I was confused at times by the progression, including immediately. I actually hit one switch mid frantic fight, so it was in the SW2 position, but it lowered the opposite side, rendering that side's switch invisible. This took me several minutes to realize. I never really realized if the map could be done in any order or not. I think a second playthrough would clear a lot of the progression issues up for me, but I often felt like I was barred into one area of the map and couldn't explore as much as I would have liked in a really big map. Still, the layout and the visual touches are very good.

I think it's a good map all in all, but I do have to wonder about its place in a 32-map community megawad. It's not up to me, of course, but this thing is distinctively much bigger than any other map submitted yet, and it's not in a "traditional" outlier mapslot. I wonder if you could trade slots with DJV, who has 29. Just my $.02 on that.

That's funny because I thought there were too many rockets and cells so I removed some. Maybe I removed too much. 

The idea with the opposite switch gimmick was to catch the player off guard since they would be expecting for the switch to affect what's in front of them, but you're right that one becoming hidden is a problem. I'll see if I can figure out a fix. btw did the torch help? I put it there because I was worried someone might not figure out the way forward was a line trigger in the dark alcove and I wanted it to stay dark. 

I'm still trying to find the medium between linearity and exploration going forward. As for the difficulty, I was trying to experiment with keeping the monster count roughly the same on each difficulty but changing the monster types so it's still engaging. It's not easy because basically everything that comes out these days is like 3 times harder than vanilla Doom 2. I feel like the bar for difficulty is higher so things need to be harder than what you would think is hard.

It's also ironic that I ended up making such a big map when I don't like long maps. I actually already cut some of it out because it was too much. 

6 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

btw did the torch help? I put it there because I was worried someone might not figure out the way forward was a line trigger in the dark alcove and I wanted it to stay dark.

That part was not a problem for me. I think it's highly unlikely that a player wouldn't even attempt to investigate the newly lowered areas, especially with the stimpacks right there.