Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

I know that I will stole the slot to another guy that wanted to do something here, but I like to take a shot to the MAP04 slot that XLightingStormL ceased recently, if possible... Since I've seen on OP post that Deadline is moved to October 1st, I will work on that for September...

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

I know that I will stole the slot to another guy that wanted to do something here, but I like to take a shot to the MAP04 slot that XLightingStormL ceased recently, if possible... Since I've seen on OP post that Deadline is moved to October 1st, I will work on that for September...

Trying to cut my grass, smh.

On a serious note, having played a few of his maps, Walter is going to make something 50x better than what I will. So keep that in mind when bestowing your favour :P.

it's great to see that people still enthusiastic about this project! techbases FTW!

sorry for offtopic, just felt that i have to say that we, ordinary people that cannot map, watchig this closely and waiting (almost) patiently. ;-)

On 7/28/2019 at 6:28 AM, dybbuk said:

Who wants the MAP26 slot? If I kept it I'll have to completely redo it but I have so much stuff coming up plus I work 12 hour days 6 days a week. I really wanted to but even if I had time made out some day soon I need to sharpen my map skills to be able to belong regardless

i didnt even know there was anything wrong with the map.  that stuff was amazing imo.  <3 Im happy to have played it.

Playing it backwards was awfully neat too imo. 

I regret to inform that I'm dropping out of this community project due to mappers block and lack of interest in Doom mapping.

I still have a small incomplete version of the map I started two months so if anyone wants to take over and finish it, knock yourself out.

Oopsphilmap3incomplete.zip

consider shadow sphere as "symphatetic and thankful, choose what you like, or both". ;-)

4 hours ago, Philnemba said:

I regret to inform that I'm dropping out of this community project due to mappers block and lack of interest in Doom mapping.

I still have a small incomplete version of the map I started two months so if anyone wants to take over and finish it, knock yourself out.

Oopsphilmap3incomplete.zip

Assuming @Walter confetti doesn't want two nukage maps (:P), and assuming the host is cool with new mappers... I'll snake this one.

Hey! So I've been tossing around a few ideas for a title pic in my head, and I though it may be cool to reference the album cover of MM.. FOOD by MF DOOM. Here's a little mock up I made. (Note: most of this image is traced directly from the reference, the actual product will simply be based off it) I apologize for the shoddy art, it's just a concept.

concept.png

106536839_oopsnoshade.png.d110aa99751220a966ca1f78c0056272.png

Here's the final line work with the proper colors. Basically, all I need is to shade it. I'm not the best with shading, so if anyone is interested please tell me, otherwise I'll try to do it myself.

Really cool and funny picture!

Not completely find of that doomguy arm... Even if the style is pretty cartoon-ish, i think it needs a little bit of detail for me...

Edited by Walter confetti

20 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Really cool and funny picture!

Not completely find of that doomguy arm... Even if the style is pretty cartoon-ish, i think it needs a little bit of detail for me...

Yeah, in the reference it's a sweater sleeve, but I wanted to keep that noodle look that it has, so I'm not completely sure how to add detail since applying anatomy to a noodle arm would look a bit odd.

I forfeit map26 and couldn't possibly find the time next month unless I mildly polish a turd in a few hours. 12 hr shifts are starting soon and offday are spent with the kids mainly. For example I'm taking them to a weird al concert next week. I wont have many offdays and work days are basically work and sleep. What I have posted so far can totally be a base if desired. That would definitely be interesting to me.

Okay, I've got my first draft up and ready.

I was eager to get involved in a community project, but if I ever see 'Chocolate Doom' compatible again I may run a mile. I've discovered the joy of visplane errors (How the hell do I use lighting detail in Chocolate Doom - Help!) and tutti frutti.

Oopsmagicanamap3.zip

So I took over from @Philnemba who was good enough to let me use the base that he started. His only request was to leave the incomplete layout that he had intact, which I was happy to do (Because it looked pretty good).

This is what they left (Just so Phil doesn't get a bad name from my mapping):

image.png.dd568b6be8871a0407e24d567441b02f.png

And this is the completed map (So far)

image.png.f5e15ea9f14e250b64b3c75f6e543b57.png

I want to try and add more detailing, but I'm basically happy with the flow of the map - Whether it is actually good is another matter.

The room I'm least happy with is the one that includes my first ever use of an Arch-Vile. I'm just not sure how to make it better.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. Difficulty settings are implemented, and there are coop starts - However I'm not sure what the etiquette around multiplayer items/monsters is.

Edited by Magicana : Updated music track on the wad

@Magicana played your first draft of the map on UV with saves and I definitely love what you did with the whole thing.

Only small technical thing I've notice is that the left reverent platform on the northern super shotgun room is 8 higher than the right which creates a small HOM.

Screenshot_301.png.e38cc595bb4a62ca166b92c44250163e.png

Screenshot_302.png.5c55a14307fe4da3a592651ef0cf7548.png

2 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

@Magicana played your first draft of the map on UV with saves and I definitely love what you did with the whole thing.

Only small technical thing I've notice is that the left reverent platform on the northern super shotgun room is 8 higher than the right which creates a small HOM.

Screenshot_301.png.e38cc595bb4a62ca166b92c44250163e.png

Screenshot_302.png.5c55a14307fe4da3a592651ef0cf7548.png

>.< I played through probably 10+ times and never noticed! A left over from when I originally had a little walkway in the nukage there. Thank you; fixed.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:08 AM, Egg Boy said:

106536839_oopsnoshade.png.d110aa99751220a966ca1f78c0056272.png

Here's the final line work with the proper colors. Basically, all I need is to shade it. I'm not the best with shading, so if anyone is interested please tell me, otherwise I'll try to do it myself.

This is beautiful!

5 hours ago, Magicana said:

Okay, I've got my first draft up and ready.

I was eager to get involved in a community project, but if I ever see 'Chocolate Doom' compatible again I may run a mile. I've discovered the joy of visplane errors (How the hell do I use lighting detail in Chocolate Doom - Help!) and tutti frutti.

Magicana, I recommend you Doom Builder 2. It's the best builder for vanilla imo because you can use a plugin called "Visplane Explorer" that will show you overflows very quickly. I highly recommend it.

In Doom Builder 2 (or X) you can also change lighting as inteded. For some reason they removed that option on GZDB, which I will never understand (or maybe I'm just dumb and don't know how to use it).  Nevermind, I misunderstood it.

Edited by Noiser

9 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Magicana, I recommend you using Doom Builder 2. It's the best builder for vanilla because you can use a plugin called "Visplane Explorer" that will show you overflows very quickly. I highly recommend it.

In Doom Builder 2 (or X) you can also change lighting as inteded. For some reason they removed that option on GZDB, which I will never understand (or maybe I'm just dumb and don't know how to use it).

I'm using Doom Builder X, there is no problem as such with changing lighting - Just my reading on visplanes indicated that each flat contributes, along with same flats but different light levels. I'm guessing the main way is to try and block areas off with things like doors, winding corridors, etc, so that not too much is on screen at one time - I'm just not used to mapping within those limits (Alongside not being that used to mapping full stop).

@HAK3180 Hey, sorry for playing your map so late, but I have a bit of feedback (I finally got a chance to work on my map, and played others to get in the mood). First things first, the visuals are pretty great for vanilla, though color choice was a bit odd, that sort of thing is subjective, I suppose. One thing I noticed across the map was that it was very cramped, I constantly felt like the walls were closing in on me, especially that dastardly maze, I'd run from one deathtrap to another and then into an Archie that wouldn't let me pass. Those deaths felt sort of unfair because I was boxed in with no room to breath, I'm talking nearly 64 x 64 hallways with no room for avoiding projectiles. Doesn't feel fair. The sort of gameplay it promotes is that in which a player systematically clears out every room and then moves onto the next, it doesn't punish you for running from fights so much as block you from proceeding unless you finish the fight, except the fights aren't larger than life slaughterfests, they're small octagonal rooms with 4 revenants. I'm sorry if I seem a bit harsh, but there were also aspects I enjoyed. For one, there are a lot of optional areas, which is always a plus, especially in a tech base. And I think the monster density is alright for a map21 slot. Unfortunately, I found the map a bit more frustrating than fun, I believe a lot of the issues I have could be fixed by giving the player a bit more room to breathe. 

Sorry for double post but I also wanted to share what I got done with my map today (screenshot is in PR-Boom for clarity)

unknown.png

3 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

[thoughts on map]

Hey, thanks for giving it go and taking time to render some thoughts! What skill level did you play on and what port? 

Sorry you didn't like the map. I'll take your feedback under consideration.

5 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Hey, thanks for giving it go and taking time to render some thoughts! What skill level did you play on and what port? 

Sorry you didn't like the map. I'll take your feedback under consideration.

I played on UV in Chocolate Doom.

@Walter confetti Got around to playing your map, I really like the visuals, the "vanilla realism" was adorable, and exactly the thing I like to see in these vanilla CPs. The gameplay was also pretty solid, I liked the big fight in the room with the pillars and teleporters. Although I do have one major issue, and it is in that same room. I had no idea what the switch did after you get the red key, since it involves an area outside the players view at all times. I ran around the map for like 5 minutes trying to figure out what to do at the end. This is not good in as linear a map as this is. Other than that the map was pretty great! One of the best I've played for this CP. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I loved that boat at the end, good stuff :)

My map is ready to be tested!

163RNgp.png

5nJFV4C.png

SA8Nm9E.png

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m4dr2auesqa1qj2/map04oops.wad/file

Title: Devil is in the details...

Build time: 6 days on and off

Music: Bobby Prince - Kitchen Ace (and taking names)

Description: A map made to test what comes faster to map out from a 2048 x 2048 size map and a 100 lines... at the end, it comes out this map that have the limitations of using only 667 lines (hence the title) sets in a mountainous place that hides this nuclear waste place... it could be also the easier of the maps made so far, even if it's for MAP04...

Enjoy and hope you have fun playing it! Feedback is highly accepted!

Also, XYZ has been updated, the stairs in the metal teleport room now can been see better where they appears:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/98c2q8842xrfr0b/map20.wad/file

Edited by Walter confetti

51 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

My map is ready to be tested!

163RNgp.png

5nJFV4C.png

SA8Nm9E.png

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/file/m4dr2auesqa1qj2/map04oops.wad/file

Title: Devil is in the details...

Build time: 6 days on and off

Music: Bobby Prince - Kitchen Ace (and taking names)

Description: A map made to test what comes faster to map out from a 2048 x 2048 size map and a 100 lines... at the end, it comes out this map that have the limitations of using only 667 lines (hence the title) sets in a mountainous place that hides this nuclear waste place... it could be also the easier of the maps made so far, even if it's for MAP04...

Enjoy and hope you have fun playing it! Feedback is highly accepted!

Tested in GZDoom because even though it's meant to be compatible, I hate Chocolate >.<.

Used one resurrect cheat because I was a dumbass going into the red key room (What was I thinking using the shotgun instead of the chaingun >.<). Made things hard for myself by forgetting I had a rocket launcher at one point as well.

Exit room had me laughing too; relatively safe because I don't think he can escape, but a middle finger to anyone hoping for a quick exit (Which isn't a bad thing).

I was also right; You did come up with a better map than I did :P.