Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

@Walter confetti, I finished 108/92/0 in 8:33 on Ultra-Violence in Crispy. It’s a pretty straightforward map, but I appreciated the faux nonlinearity. The one section was a little tough because I was pretty well out of ammo at the pain elemental section, but powering through rather than retreating gives you rockets, health, and bullets – I have no problem with that. I didn’t really notice the visuals, so that’s probably good for a vanilla map. All in all, it’s perhaps a little bit textbook, but perhaps that's better than shooting for the stars of gimmickry and missing badly.

multiplayer has not been implemented yet but i think the UV is okay but feedback is asked for.  ive been playing a lot of doom3 lately.  this can be played defensively or more like a speedrun.  <3

320px-MSZ_MinorBoss.png.de9483bb3253b7ef0c8ef42138cae027.png

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

@Mk7_Centipede, I finished 105/91/100 in 23:19 on Ultra Violence in Crispy. If there's a secret exit, I did not find it. What to say? I think it will certainly add some variety. In a wad full of tech bases, I do believe this one will be memorable, hopefully for good, but I do think there are some issues. A number of locked doors are not marked for apparently no good reason. The two secrets are one rocket each? Seriously? Is that an attempt to troll? Now, there are a lot of optional goodies that take a small amount of searching - these could almost be considered secrets, and I liked them, though I still thought overall ammo was pretty short. I did not get the shotgun for quite a while, so I cheated for a berserk because there were lots of demons. I was still short on ammo - imagine if I had shotgunned those demons. I was also able to two-shot the cyberdemon easily once he turned on the mancs (seems that's what they're there for), but if I don't do that, I'm definitely in major ammo crisis at the end, let alone if I don't even get the BFG. All in all, I really like the gimmick and what you've done with 99+% right angles. I don't think the combat was stellar, but honestly, the layout was so interesting that I didn't really care. I think a few little changes would go a long way.

@Mk7_Centipede The end of your level is very confusing. First of all, its supposed to be a big fight with a cybie, but you don't provide any ammo for a player hurting for bullets. I ran out of everything I had and ended up using idkfa to finish the bastard off. Then I walked around the room for a few minutes looking for a switch or a lowering lift or something but nothing ever happened. I open the map in the editor and the exit switch is on the thing in the center of the room. A much better way to force the player to participate in a fight in vanilla is to just have a really long lift that starts lowering as soon as you enter the room, which gives the player plenty of time to get... acquainted with the demons in the room, in fact I'm doing something very similar to this in the finale of my map. Please note, however, that it is not particularly fun to spend 3 minutes in a square room with nothing interesting but bottomless pits. One thing I liked about the map was how it used its low monster count to its advantage. There were a few spots that were kind of difficult, there was minimal buildup between encounters, which is fine, but I think it would do better if the map was a bit darker and more atmospheric, to fit in with the Doom 3-like semi realism you seem to be going for.

I'm off to bed, I'm probably about 1/2 done with the initial layout of my map, it's going to be short, but explosive (hopefully). Here's another screenshot.

unknown.png

oops_15_sinthetic_icon.7z

Okay, I think this is the final version (?).  Barring some co-op fixes and maybe darkening some rooms, this is it.  I added more shotgun ammo early on, but also some Cacodemons that you can avoid for a while.  So, overall the balance is the same but will probably help with the initial experience.  (and texture alignments, so maybe not final- but gameplay is final now).

And it has a title: Sinthetic Icon.

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

7 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Magicana, I had no major issues with your map. Cool concept at the end. More here.

Thanks for the play through :).

I agree about the sectionality, I tried to fix it with roaming imps but they tended to roam a little bit too quickly. 

A few things to work on detailing wise, but I'm happy that you were happy with the map. I don't really know how to fix the backtracking in the map, because there is also a theoretical playthrough where the player almost never has to - Red key, yellow key, switches, end. Those switches each lower half the bars. A little bit distant, but the player kind of has to go back past them for more exploring.

No plasma gun in the map - Oh ye of little faith! You found half the secret - I left a hint of the grey panel/red panel in the red and yellow key areas. You used the grey one, and it has a dummy sector that changes a sector for the audible cue, but you never used the one in the red key area (With the backpack). I figured it would be nice to zip around with it in the exit room, but I balanced the map around never using it (I also balanced around not using the berserk, which meant you had more than enough ammo).

I thought about making the berserk pack a secret, but the damaging floor and just wanting to have the one secret changed my mind.

I'm also very interested in how that ceiling trick works - I found it painful to look at the variations in light there, but also couldn't really fix it without making the whole thing uniform. Does the trick carry over into limit removing ports? I know it's meant to be vanilla/chocolate compatible, but if it ruins the map on say Zdoom, I'd rather leave it looking a bit weird.

image.png.dc22b7f14b70c212fb3f9a38b4558e80.png

@Magicana, the trick works on all ports. I played around with your map. Take a look in visual mode and then run it and see it in game. In this case the key is a tiny sliver of a sector at brightness 144. The sectors surrounding your raised sector have to be the same brightness, so sometimes that involves a tiny little sector, other times not. I also made the teleporters brighter and added a light source (TLITE) for the central platform. I tested this all in Crispy, so I don't know where you were at for visplanes, but I probably added a couple. Do with this as you like; those are the only changes.

OopsmagicHAK.zip

8 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Magicana, the trick works on all ports. I played around with your map. Take a look in visual mode and then run it and see it in game. In this case the key is a tiny sliver of a sector at brightness 144. The sectors surrounding your raised sector have to be the same brightness, so sometimes that involves a tiny little sector, other times not. I also made the teleporters brighter and added a light source (TLITE) for the central platform. I tested this all in Crispy, so I don't know where you were at for visplanes, but I probably added a couple. Do with this as you like; those are the only changes.

OopsmagicHAK.zip

What is this devilry? Another vanilla trick I'll have to keep in mind!

image.png

image.png

Alright guys, the discord should be somewhat up, needs some work, but it's up.

check the main post for the link.

I see the MAP07 slot is open, would anyone mind if I take a stab at a submission for MAP07? Is it mandatory to use the new textures? I have min experience using custom textures and had mixed results attempting to put custom textures into my wads. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, beast said:

I see the MAP07 slot is open, would anyone mind if I take a stab at a submission for MAP07? Is it mandatory to use the new textures? I have min experience using custom textures and had mixed results attempting to put custom textures into my wads. Thanks in advance.

Nah it ain't required go ahead

@Egg Boy, I played on Ultra-Violence on Crispy and finished 103/100/0 in 10:59.

There's a small misalignment in the bigbrik by a hell knight between two comp panels and one by the cyber-lowering switch. Maybe others too. Visually, I like it a lot. Definitely some great lighting. I can see why you called my map cramped. It's kinda funny: the openness of this map is much more my usual style. The monster density is so low early on that there's a marked change in the dynamic of the map, which is fine, but the early part seemed even too easy. Some of it was pretty easily campable and the amount of space, I think, called for a slightly higher monster density (but after all, I'm the guy who cramped my map ;) ). But then it turned kinda spammy in a hurry. Seems like the overall balance would be great but it's too little at first and too much later. And in general, the slaughtery sections and the boss fight didn't do much for me. I thought they were much more generic than something like, say, A Cool Map for Cool People, which had some very specific gameplay. But definitely take that with a grain of salt because what I consider "conventional slaughter" is one of my least favorite genres of Doom. I like the progression a lot. A lot of maps feature a loop style or some variant thereof. This thing unapologetically sends you in and then takes you back right back the way you came. The backtracking requires more killing and more looking at the beautiful scenery, and the overall flow is marked by key bars, so I have no problem with it. Overall very good and seems like a great fit for a traditional 13 slot, for whatever that's worth.

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@Egg Boy (Some stuff)

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I was curious what you would think of the map. Do you have any suggestions for the early part of the map? Perhaps I should give the player a more powerful weapon and put more monsters there. Perhaps a caco or two? What can I do to diversify the revenant scare? It's a major "Oh shit" moment and I want to keep it, but I understand what you mean when you say its a bit dull.

perhaps I can give the SSG instead of the normal shotgun and replace the SSG with a plasma rifle.

Edited by Egg Boy

10 hours ago, ZeMystic said:

Nah it ain't required go ahead

Didn't someone above ask for slot 07?

@Egg Boy, Alright, let's get specific then.

• I like the beginning. You have to choose between wasting the health of the berserk and pistoling/punching several demons and a revenant. 
  • First door: the revenant sees you immediately. Perhaps he's not deaf and behind the crates instead. Then it's more likely you're deeper in the room when you realize he's there. I like the other roamers coming in, but they seem to take a little too long. And maybe the manc could be nondeaf too. I definitely like all the somewhat distant monsters (windows, ledges, etc.)
  • two demons coming down the stairs: seems unlikely the player will try to go up there before everything on the ground level is dead. Therefore the demons become trivial. They could be a nice rooster block if the player did try to go up there early while other stuff is still alive. I think the only way to accomplish that is put something desirable and extremely visible up there.
  • I noticed the arch-vile didn't show up this time because I had died and resurrected. Looks like that's the purpose of the shoot switch at the beginning, but once that door closes, it seems those monsters can't hear anymore. So if a player were to resurrect after the start room, I think lots of monsters won't appear. Good way to punish cheaters, I suppose, but I, for one, try to avoid that possibility. 
  • The arch-vile and the two revs down the stairs are pretty retreatable. Maybe if the revenants are coming up as the archvile is coming over, the player ends up in a more sticky situation.
  • Downstairs area (hell knight) I think could just use a couple more roamers 
  • Manc+revs: it turns out the third manc is stuck. That plus the fact that you can easily position yourself so that only two can see you makes it easy to quickly dispatch the fatties before the revenants really even arrive. So maybe move the manc platforms slightly so that more of them can see the player in the corner. That will intensify that fight and better encourage the player out. Or make something lower way over by the revenants that contains a bunch of rockets that you currently are able to stock up on before the fight. I think there's enough space that asking the player to run around some revenants won't be a guaranteed "you're stuck and you're dead" moment. Maybe move the rev teleporter destinations a little closer (perhaps on hard only) so the party can get started a little quicker. I also wonder if you tried out spiders instead of mancs - that might push the pace a bit.
  • blue key room: I got nothing; I like it
  • penultimate fight: chaingunners are easy to rocket snipe and rockets are not scarce. It seems quite logical to go over to where they were, but it's almost impossible for the hell knights or mancs to hit you there once they start getting closer. The only real danger is one more commando teleporting in when you thought they were done. Seems like one more significant threat is needed to force the player into a decision - perhaps a well placed/timed arch-vile popping out of the crate in the other room or something.

But hey, you map for you. These are just ideas that occurred to me. Maybe they'd work and be a little more fun; maybe they wouldn't at all.

46 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@Egg Boy, Suggestions

Hey, thanks so much for the in depth feedback, I've added a few monsters, changed some stuff around, and came up with a new version. A lot of your ideas were great, so I went with them.

Here it is, once I get this stuff sorted out, I'll add a few secrets as well ;)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CQuOin1mEZZF1HGohimtBfquOosWOivx

7 hours ago, Egg Boy said:

Didn't someone above ask for slot 07?

Yes indeed, but I'm not too bothered about having that one in particular, I'm happy with working on another map slot if the OP approves

11 hours ago, Mike_C said:

Yes indeed, but I'm not too bothered about having that one in particular, I'm happy with working on another map slot if the OP approves

@ZeMystic can you put @Mike_C down for slot 07 (since they asked for that slot first), and drop me down to slot 26 please. Sorry about that Mike, that will teach me to search the topic properly next time.

Thanks beast & Mike_C.

We have 3 map slots open- 14, 18, 28.

ZeMystic is happy with how this is coming together and is considering pushing the completion date again.  We need a few more authors.

Edited by Mk7_Centipede

Oops Despondent Nukage Base.zip

New and improved version. Balanced a little bit more based on watching Hak play through it, slightly less green, ammo slightly more fine tuned, and the ending area changed up because I found out you could softlock the exit.

Also now has a name.

Edit: Player 1 start moved back to the start of the map, rather than the end.

Edited by Magicana

I am opting out of this. I am planning to participate in NaNoWadMo and I would like to divert my focus on that.

The first playable version of MAP26 is ready for testing.

Would someone assist me by running through, pointing out the obvious flaws or issues please. It is a medium sized map and takes about 15 minutes to complete. Skills are implemented, I can finish the map on UV (which says a lot since I am not the greatest player).

I checked the map in visplane explorer and fixed all game-breaking problems, tested in Chocolate and Crispy. I believe all that remains is balancing monsters and items. If anything there is too much health/armor bonuses, but I will wait after some feedback if anyone thinks this is a problem. Let me know if you think the map is too small, I can always add new areas to explore.

Edited by beast : Link updated in recent post

2 minutes ago, beast said:

The first playable version of MAP26 is ready for testing.

Quick turn around! Lovely. The map felt too easy for map26. I finished with over 100 health on UV. Perhaps that soul sphere is unnecessary. I had ample room to dodge every monster, so even the lack of ammo early on was not much of a set back. The length of the level was pretty good though, I like shorter levels and it took me just over 8 minutes to beat the thing, so that's perfectly fine. Visually it was ok, not striking or anything but it gets the job done, the map was a bit too square if you ask me, but that's preferential. The flow of the map was also a positive, though it was easy to miss the blue key. Overall a good map that lacks difficulty.