Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

Oops! All Techbase - Final Release! NOW ON IDGAMES!

I finished the retexturing + converting from Boom to Vanilla Doom side of things, added coop starts. All that's left to do is implement difficulty levels and polish.

Here's a snapshot of the map if anyone wants to check it out.

Is the deadline still set for November 1st?

Edited by JBerg : newer file uploaded

2 hours ago, JBerg said:

I finished the retexturing + converting from Boom to Vanilla Doom side of things, added coop starts. All that's left to do is implement difficulty levels and polish.

Here's a snapshot of the map if anyone wants to check it out.

Is the deadline still set for November 1st?

OopsRefinery.zip

Quite good. My only real gripes is the shortage of ammo I suffered at the end of the map. I finished with 100% kills and secrets, but had zero bullets and shells. And the barons which didn't add too much to the combat scenarios, besides being a sponge to fill with my depleting ammunition. The archvile fight is pretty cool, because the player basically decides when to start the fight, unfortunately the bastard revived a baron and a hell knight in the room I fought it in, having no ammo, my only choice was to run to the exit, its a good thing revives don't count.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:08 AM, Mk7_Centipede said:

also: we have 2 slots still open in e3.

I may have a map already done, IF you don't mind adding some new textures...

6 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

I may have a map already done, IF you don't mind adding some new textures...

ofc, just tell where you got the textures from so we can credit it

8 hours ago, dybbuk said:

Can I make a hidden level before time is up I wonder... I mean I already had a start

I think you can definitely do an e3 level.  Sorry about your first submission.  Map 29 or 32 need to be created- i think everything else is claimed.

Zemystic is maybe working on map 32 iirc.  And we are discussing re-arranging the level order in e3.  I would just say go for a difficult af e3 map.  it will find a home.

Many thanks for taking the final spot btw.  join up discord.  we are alsways mouthing off in there.

Would be great to get some feedback on map 25. I think only HAK weighed in and that was months ago. Also I think I'll go with "Storage Operations" as the map name.

1 hour ago, Super Mighty G said:

Would be great to get some feedback on map 25. I think only HAK weighed in and that was months ago. Also I think I'll go with "Storage Operations" as the map name.

Loaded it up to play through, didn't realise how big it was! I'm about 100 monsters in, some pretty nasty traps so far.

6 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

we are planning a good deal of playtesting, but all of us are mostly working on our own maps atm.  i am surprised by the amount of internal work going on, so rest assured you will get plenty of adoration.  we are mostly still arguing on discord about whether john romero or sandy peterson is a better mapper, but rest assured there will be plenty of arch-vile nit-picking when it comes to your e3 map.  Much like the ship of theseus, we are somehow not sinking and everything is shiny and new.

22 hours ago, dybbuk said:

Can I make a hidden level before time is up I wonder... I mean I already had a start

@dybbuk do you want map 29?  if you want to work in two episodes then we can swap 14 for 29.

Here is an update to my map. It should work in vanilla, with no visplane overflows, but it would be good to test it out just in case.

37 minutes ago, JBerg said:

Could we rename my map (map02) to 'Nukage Refinery'?

I do like that name. However, the third map of the set also has the word "nukage" in the title, so it could become confusing when referencing maps. I personally think a better option would be 'Nuclear Refinery'.

I'm thinking of reviewing the submitted maps so far, and giving my thoughts on each episode.

3 hours ago, obake said:

I do like that name. However, the third map of the set also has the word "nukage" in the title, so it could become confusing when referencing maps. I personally think a better option would be 'Nuclear Refinery'.

Or maybe Sludge Refinery?

On 10/31/2019 at 11:38 AM, JBerg said:

Or maybe Sludge Refinery?

That works. :)

Starting the map reviews. I am playing each on UV, in GZDoom.

Toxic Asteroid by JustCallMeKaito

Atmospheric opener with a nonlinear start. The detailing is great, even amidst so much darkness.

The first half relies solely on the pistol, not in itself a bad thing. But much time is spent slowly taking down former humans, which drags down the pace. I would suggest removing two or three former humans, even on UV, to improve the flow.

Overall, I like this opener.

Refinery by JBerg

Amazing detailing all around. Every room is distinct and looks impressive, yet nothing is so over detailed as to be distracting.

Gameplay is better this time around, with many surprises in store (I was completely caught off guard by the Archvile trap.)

The biggest issue to address is some of the item placement (particular shellboxes) in areas where you are forced to pick them up, which is an annoyance. The map also may be a bit too intense to be a second map, and may have one too many barons. Overall, very well done.

Despondent Nukage Base by Magicana

Of all of the levels I've played thus far, this one perhaps has the most stark lighting. Even the outdoor areas are gloomy, with long shadows, making the map live up to its name.

I like this one. It has two paths you can take to start, either going for the red or yellow key. The set up is neat, with the yellow key in plain sight behind a window. Reminds me of Romero's map designs (think E1M2).

Gameplay is fun, too. I like how Imps are in groups that are actually fairly dangerous, given where are other monsters pop up.

I would place the switch to opening the Yellow Key path a bit closer to the door itself, since I did not know what it did at first. I also noticed the sector with the green armor is not tagged as a secret. Otherwise, there is not much else I would change. Perhaps the Archvile encounter (given there are already a lot of those in this set)? Perhaps replacing the Archie with two Revs would work. Whatever the case, this is a cool map.

Devils in the Details by Walter Confetti

This map is large and open, with lots of hitscanners, pinkies, and spectres. Though the details are not as refined, the map has charm. Many battles consist of huge spaces arrayed with various baddies. Some, like the hub where a wall opens to reveal a circle of sergeants and chaingunners, are there for players to blast through should they so choose, or simply run from and let infighting take down their numbers.

I do not feel the ending Archie is necessary, especially in such a cramped room with no cover. But I still made it out fine.

Edited by obake

Continuing with reviews:

Z-Sector by Zemystic

Again, what would be very basic layout is enhanced by detailing. There's not much to say. The map is short, to the point, and a lot of fun.

If there are any criticisms, they would be that the lighting is fairly flat, except near the cave area. That, and there being two barons in the one room, but that is more of a nitpick.

Sulfiric Domains by Nicolas Monti

Like Walter Confetti's entry, Sulfiric Domains is another map impressive in scope, with lakes of nukage one views from various a precipice. Mix those in with the massive, dark basements, and you get a map that is both impressive and oppressive.

This is a tough one to judge, as I had to go through the map twice to get a good feel. The first time was frustrating, with little health and ammo to my name, and various hitscanners still milling on ledges and in the nukage. The second go around went a lot smoother, though still choppy at places, mainly the basement area.

There are tons of zombies roaming in the dark, and chaingun ammo (even with the zombies) is scarce. I believe putting a few of those zombies in the bright outdoor area would ease frustrations.

I do like the inclusion of the Spider Mastermind, though the window between its spawning room and the basement is just high enough where you can cheese the fight by staying in place, it not being able to shoot over the wall. I would either lower that window enough so that the spider can snipe back, or raise the window so neither you or the spider can go in combat.

I also do not care for the Archie spawning in the dark basement, but that is just me. Overall, a competent map, and one with great atmosphere, but not my favorite.

Hazardous by Mike_C

Dead link

14 minutes ago, obake said:

Hazardous by Mike_C

Dead link

On 10/3/2019 at 1:13 AM, Mike_C said:

Updated Again. Changed a couple textures, fixed some alignments and added a bit more balance to the last fight.

Hazardous Zone.wad.zip

A few more reviews:

Hazardous by Mike_C

Amidst maps with less linear design there is Hazardous by Mike_C. The layout of this map is much more rectangular than other entries, but that does not make it in any way less fun.

This map is great. I like the detailing and architecture. The one downside is gameplay can be fairly simplistic, with the player opening doors just to find a large room with a gaggle of baddies straight center. This is not inherently a bad thing, and lends for a lot of infighting fun. But still, it feels like some of these encounters could use spicing up.

There are also a ton of Barons in the blue key area. I would switch one or two Barons with Knights instead.

Perhaps the most surprising part is the ending Cyber fight, which I did not expect. Despite the map's stinginess on rocket ammo, the Cyber goes down relatively quick, with the player having just enough closeness to get good SSG shots at him.

I also like little details like the setup of the SSG room, and the blue and red key doors marked with colored textures.

This map is good all around.

Waste Processing by Xdarkmasterx

Holy Revenant Spam, Batman! This is easily the hardest map thus far, with loads of Revs to deal with, plus the usual menagerie of small baddies. Putting aside performance issues due to my computer, the map is frustrating due to a lack of chaingun ammo and armor. I think twenty or so armor bonuses at the beginning, and a box of bullets would go a long way to making the map more fun.

The detailing is again, very well done, and I like the layout, especially the central hub. Speaking of which, there is a HOM under the door the player starts in front of, when you lower the center platform.

Overall, while not one of my favorites, the map is still playable.

Technoid by Nicolas Monti

This is another sprawling map, though unlike previous entries, it focuses more on combat inside than out in nukage fields.

The encounters are harsh, with lots of teleport surprises. Though I admit to being frustrated with the yellow key room trap, I admit it is very well done.

A theme I've noticed in these maps is Archies and Pain Elementals being used liberally, which is not in itself a bad thing. However, map after map having the same type of encounter it does begin to wear. I would personally put a breather map in between this and Waste Processing. Not necessarily an easy map, but one which focuses on simpler monsters. Perhaps Walter's would fit.

Overall, Technoid is a fun experience, though perhaps it could use a bit more health at the beginning. It is also the first map I've got lost in, though none of my times milling about for answers were too long, so it is not a huge issue.

Chemical Weapons Research by Xdarkmasterx

This is the most aesthetically pleasing map so far. Just look at the gray hallways with scrolling lights, and tell me it is not awesome. The map uses lots of color and variation.

Layout and lack of armor is the map's issue. Whereas previous entries may have been sprawling, this one is more confusing, and full of hitscans. I admit judging this map I may be biased, as my computer lately has had troubles with Doom, specifically big levels. Framerates drop to single digits at times, making certain encounters far more frustrating than need be.

That said, I can tell this is still the most difficult map of the set thus far, with not just one Archvile, but encounters with multiple Viles. I particularly like the rocket launcher area, and the blue key area. Those fights are extremely well done.

The one area that needs rebalancing is the yellow key. Forced damage like this can become an absolute pain if one is at super low health (luckily I was not). I would make the first medkit a Berserk (or Soulsphere) instead, neither of which I feel would unbalance the rest of the map.

There is also a ledge with two stuck imps (they are behind a diagonal blue backdrop.)

Overall, this map looks great, and is most fierce.

Persecuted by ZeMystic

A Hunted tribute, eh? This map certainly stands out, all in good ways.

I like that instead of a straight tribute, Persecuted mixes things up by adding small fry, mostly imps behind caged walls. It adds enough new flavor to the formula, with the risk of Viles having baddies to resurrect, without going overboard. The level looks really nice, too.

Surprisingly, for a map that has so many Viles, it is among the easiest of the episode, which is not a bad thing. There is not much else to say; the map is a good breather with its own set of teeth.

Episode 1 thoughts: The maps were fun! Though I admit the encounters between maps start blending together, with lots of “one Vile amongst Revs and other baddies” getting stale. But overall, I feel this is a good way to start the megawad, with the theme of nukage being used the right amount.