Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
3saster

What's the coolest use of MAP07 special tags?

What are some of coolest uses you know of the MAP07 special tags? I really liked MAP07 of Tangerine Nightmare, where the Mancs are hidden throughout the map, and killing all of them opens up a secret room.

What other maps use these tags in interesting/creative ways?

No contest, really. That Valiant map is the only viable candidate to list here.

Nothing really holds a candle to Valiant, but here are a few others that are somewhat noteworthy (i.e. not Dead Simple clones):

• Back to Saturn X and Sunlust use the tags to hide secrets.
  • Memento Mori puts a key behind a 666 tag.
  • Doom 2 The Way Id Did is a pretty interesting Map07 in general.

1 hour ago, Spie812 said:

Back to Saturn X and Sunlust use the tags to hide secrets.

Didn't the master level "Bloodsea Keep" do that, but there are no mancubi on easy, so no 100% secrets on easy.

On 5/25/2019 at 10:51 AM, Linguica said:

Just to get it out of the way: Map07 of Valiant, The Mancubian Candidate, of course.

1607261510_4_14themancubiancandidate.png

I still remember my first play-through of that map.

"Oh, I'll get rid of this mancubus first real quick. Uh oh, abort, abort."

I'm gonna be the guy that says Memento Mori MAP07: Not That Simple.

I also liked how The Interdiction Zone had an encounter in the last area where you fought a mancubus to unlock the exit. The map itself was a very non-typical MAP07 but it made good use of the mancubus tag at least.

I guess one interesting way to do the 666/667 tags (that hasn't been done yet as far as I know) is to put a lone mancubus or arachnotron in a dummy sector and have them crushed/killed by barrels or otherwise. This could be used as a sort of fake timer for possibly larger arena fights. It'd be somewhat similar to Boom voodoo conveyors except it only really works on MAP07. I don't really know any maps that do this but I'm just hypothesizing.

3 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I guess one interesting way to do the 666/667 tags (that hasn't been done yet as far as I know) is to put a lone mancubus or arachnotron in a dummy sector and have them crushed/killed by barrels or otherwise. This could be used as a sort of fake timer for possibly larger arena fights.

I would think the main reason people never used crushing mancs or trons to time fights is that vanilla has enough other ways to time fights, all of which being reliable and independent from mapslots entirely. Basically using the 666 tag like that would mean using an unnecessarily complicated solution to solve a problem that doesn't even exist.