Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, esselfortium said:

The maps look nice, but that username could use some workshopping...

Yeah I just signed up using my Discord, and now realise that maybe that wasn't the best idea since this was my current profile stuffs on Discord. Then I go to change my name and... Must be a member for 180 days to change. Oof.

Well then, judged solely on the screenshots I'd say you're in a good spot wrt to creating rooms. From "looks okay" to "this is quite nice" there's a bit of everything here. I will say though that it's usually quite difficult to judge visual design quality in a vacuum based entirely on motionless pictures with no context.

I like the colour scheme of the first shot, but for me personally some of the textures don't go so well together, most notable the fire you have there, which seems almost out of place due to how "high resolution" it comes across in a room that uses relatively "featureless" textures otherwise. Also the wall on the right hand side could maybe use some "loosening up", dividers and such might work well. Speaking of, it could use some more diversity as far as ceiling textures go.

So, the second shot to me is pretty "nondescript", not sure I can say much besides that. A close up shot of an iWAD midtexture coupled with slightly same-y texturing in the background just doesn't say much by itself.

Looking at the third shot, texture scheme isn't bad, but it is definitely asking for additional floor and ceiling details to give it a little something more. And the wall on the left side also is rather "empty", aside of the patch with the blue cracks there is nothing there that stands out and gives it depth, the overall same lighting doesn't help either.

Last shot is definitely my favourite visually, it has me wondering how pleasant it is to move around in, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if the firesticks there made the already small gaps between their sockets and the "altar" even smaller than it appears.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Well then, judged solely on the screenshots I'd say you're in a good spot wrt to creating rooms. From "looks okay" to "this is quite nice" there's a bit of everything here. I will say though that it's usually quite difficult to judge visual design quality in a vacuum based entirely on motionless pictures with no context.

I like the colour scheme of the first shot, but for me personally some of the textures don't go so well together, most notable the fire you have there, which seems almost out of place due to how "high resolution" it comes across in a room that uses relatively "featureless" textures otherwise. Also the wall on the right hand side could maybe use some "loosening up", dividers and such might work well. Speaking of, it could use some more diversity as far as ceiling textures go.

So, the second shot to me is pretty "nondescript", not sure I can say much besides that. A close up shot of an iWAD midtexture coupled with slightly same-y texturing in the background just doesn't say much by itself.

Looking at the third shot, texture scheme isn't bad, but it is definitely asking for addional floor and ceiling details to give it a little something more. And the wall on the left side also is rather "empty", aside of the patch with the blue cracks there is nothing there that stands out and gives it depth, the overall same lighting doesn't help either.

Last shot is definitely my favourite visually, it has me wondering how pleasant it is to move around in, however, and I wouldn't be surprised if the firesticks there made the already small gaps between their sockets and the "altar" even smaller than it appears.

Thanks for the feedback! Could you elaborate on the loosening up for the one wall? I'll also post a more up-to-date screenshot seeing as I did change stuff around in there, like replacing the fire texture because it honestly bothered me.

7 minutes ago, NEKO LOLI EGYPTIAN GODDESS said:

Could you elaborate on the loosening up for the one wall?

Maybe not ideal examples but what I mean is stuff like this:

exha.jpg.4e819d305d50fca0e40a26a018c6e46c.jpgexhb.jpg.5621d1216016a99638c6b83189feff12.jpg

In these shots, the walls would look incredibly bland if all you saw there was one and the same texture, imagine all black bricks. Granted, the shots aren't "ideal" either, since the map is still a work in progress, but I think they show at least a little bit how much more interesting something looks when it's more than just one texture entirely.

19 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Maybe not ideal examples but what I mean is stuff like this:

exha.jpg.4e819d305d50fca0e40a26a018c6e46c.jpgexhb.jpg.5621d1216016a99638c6b83189feff12.jpg

In these shots, the walls would look incredibly bland if all you saw there was one and the same texture, imagine all black bricks. Granted, the shots aren't "ideal" either, since the map is still a work in progress, but I think they show at least a little bit how much more interesting something looks when it's more than just one texture entirely.

Beautiful. Give me the download link of this wad?

Welcome to Doomworld! I like your screenshots, especially the white marble room, I think that looks genuinely excellent.  At least from a visual point of view, they're all very solid screenshots.  If you have any more complete maps you'd like further feedback on, we'd be happy to test them. 

Given you're on Discord, there are various Doom related Discord servers too (if you're not already on them) that are great places for getting real-time feedback.  Jimmy's Joy of Mapping server is primarily for the semi-regular Joy of Mapping events, but is a great place to get general feedback on an ongoing basis.  Given you're using Otex, I'd also suggest Ukiro's Otex server, which is a great place for ideas on how to use Otex.  I'd also be amiss to not recommend the first Doom server I ever joined and still one of my most visited, which is Dragonfly's general Doom server.

Always excited to see more people using OTEX and new mappers joining the community.

You look like you already know what you're doing and you're on the right track, so keep it up!

Would love to playtest any of your wads some time, if you need any testers.

Welcome to Doomworld!

Welcome to Doomworld!! 

Love the screenshots. Especially the first and third.

Would like to play these maps if that is possible. :o)

Your work is beautiful!

I really loved the white room =D

It's nice to see some cool and detailed indoor maps like these (i'm tired of the huge outdoors/open-world maps that people are making these days).

Edited by Tribal

Very sharp, consistent quality, impressionable, memorable design! That's saying something, as many people here have literally seen thousands of levels! I'd love to check out the gameplay, if you're releasing them.

10 hours ago, NEKO LOLI EGYPTIAN GODDESS said:

Then I go to change my name and... Must be a member for 180 days to change. Oof.

An admin can change / fix it overriding that limitation. Of course, you have to request it via PM.

Yo bro this looks good. Btw where did you get the white marble texture from?

I dig the username, especially if OP eventually excels. "2021 has been a very strong year, with acclaimed mappers Joshy, Mechadon, and NEKO LOLI EGYPTIAN GODDESS all providing us great new content." 

Welcome to DW! Love the username lol, really looking forward to this project of yours. Not a mapper myself, but if you have any questions or need help with anything don't hesitate to ask:)

Good stuff! Not just the actual architecture, but the texturing choices really tie it together. 'Architexture' I've heard it called, and it's used to great effect here.

When I read "New Mapper" I thought this was literally the first works of someone, but I never saw this coming.

This is something pretty incredible, I hope I can play some of those WADs someday.

Meanwhile, I'm still practicing, started mapping since uh... 1 month ago maybe.

So 7 years is a pretty nice streak lol

1 hour ago, Beezle said:

I MIGHT be wrong here as I've gotten a little less than halfway thru this wad but I believe its Eviternity, it has a lot of beautiful textures like what's shown in the picture above, here's the link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/eviternity

The screenshots OP posted are not from Eviternity.

Eviternity was the first wad to use OTEX fully, and OTEX is the texture pack used in the screenshots.

The wad as far as we know has not been released. You can grab a copy of OTEX and make maps with it here.

14 minutes ago, Terminus said:

The screenshots OP posted are not from Eviternity.

Eviternity was the first wad to use OTEX fully, and OTEX is the texture pack used in the screenshots.

The wad as far as we know has not been released. You can grab a copy of OTEX and make maps with it here.

Oh haha I was talking about the screenshots in the example NineInchHeels posted, sonnedunkel was asking which wad was the example from.

12 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Oh haha I was talking about the screenshots in the example NineInchHeels posted, sonnedunkel was asking which wad was the example from.

The map @sonnedunkel is asking is a WIP from Mayhem 2019

15 minutes ago, Catpho said:

The map @sonnedunkel is asking is a WIP from Mayhem 2019

Thanks Catpho! I was curious myself if it wasn't Eviternity. Also curious to see what Neko Loli has done so far, can't wait for a download link:)

So, finally I find some time to post here as well. Great screenshots and welcome to Doomworld! I hope you are addicted to Doom mapping now and will release plenty of interesting, fun, crazy and wild maps for Doom.