Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

What's your favorite midi?

What's everyone's favorite midi from the original Doom soundtracks, what about Doom II, Final Doom?

Mine would be

Doom I- Computer Station, military base- Yes I've only played shareware, but don't kill me I bought the whole thing, I just haven't gotten my new comp to play it yet

Doom II- Waste tunnels, Spirit World, The Pit, Monster Condo( i think this is originally Doom I music)

Final Doom-
TNT- Worm Hole, Mount PAin, shipping and packaging level??
Plutonia-??? not sure, I like the one with all the Arch viles, sounds like a lullaby at first, very strange indeed.

Oh something else, I may be and idiot but how do cross thos big stones with torches at the beginning of last level,"Last call", I could never figure it out.

I basically like pretty much every midi from Doom I.
They're really dark and moody. Sometimes when it's late in the evening and I'm sitting at my PC I play some Doom I midi's and they've scared the shit out of me when I've played them too loud.
Countdown to Death and Opening to Hell from Doom II are my absolute alltime favourites.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some superb remixes for Doom I music? I've searched and searched, but usually I come up with crap. Help would be welcome.

Doom 1:
Intermission from Doom
The Demons from Adrien's Pen

Doom 2:
Evil Incarnate

Final Doom:
None really.

Doom1:
On The Hunt
Intermission From Doom

Doom2:
Running From Evil
The Healer Stalks
Between Levels

Final Doom:
No-one.

Those with ***stars*** around are those that I especially like.

Doom E1:

At Doom's Gate (D_E1M1)
***Dark Halls (D_E1M3)***
***Suspense (D_E1M5)***
Demons on the Prey (D_E1M7)

Doom E2:

They're Going to Get You (D_E2M4)
***Sinister (D_E2M6)***

Doom E3:

***Donna to the Rescue (D_E3M2)***
Deep Into the Code (D_E3M3)

Doom2:

DOOM (D_DOOM)
***Into Sandy's City (D_IN_CIT)***
Getting Too Tense (D_TENSE)

Evilution (Final Doom tnt.wad)

***D_THE_DA (map06)***
D_DEAD (map10)
D_STLKS2 (map11)
D_DDTBL2 (map14)
***D_MESSAG (map20)***

I like all the Doom/Doom 2 midi's, but I'd have to say Sign of Evil (E1M8/E3M4/E4M1) and The Demon's Dead (Map10/Map16) are my favorites. Sign of Evil, coupled with the mood of E1M8, used to scare the shit out of me when I first started playing. I like The Demon's Dead for no reason in particular.

I'd pretty much go with the Doom1 music being very good as a general rule. Some of those dark moody tracks are very atmosFEARic. I've always had a soft spot for D_VICTOR as well for some reason. Not sure why.

As for Doom2, on the whole I'm not so impressed (I remember being disappointed with the music when it came out). I quite like Bart Klepka's pretty subtle reworking of D_ROMERO though.

I like ALL the doom I/II songs and I don't have a real favorite.

In Final Doom, it has got to be Map20.

For Doom:

E3M7
E2M6
E1M8
E1M5
E1M7
E2M4
E3M6

I don't mind the intermission music, but I don't like it when it's played throughout an entire map (E2M3).

For Doom 2:

Map 7
Map 28

From DOOM I like Suspense, Demons on the prey, the victory song, Hiding the secrets, Waltz of the demons, the Demons from Adrian's pen... the untitled track for e3m1 is also cool. In general DOOM's music is great.

From DOOM II I'd choose Doom, the intermission, Getting too tense, and Message for the Archvile. Others are cool too, but I think those are my favorites (now.) DOOM II's music isn't as coherent and fitting as DOOM's but it's fine.

Evilution's new music doesn't attract me too much, maybe a couple of songs, but some are even annoying (like the one for map02... too loud.) I don't think DOOM's music should have been used for Plutonia, I associate it too much with DOOM for it to fit there (except in a couple of DOOM-like maps.) I even changed the lumps to mostly DOOM II tracks.

You must mean map 28. Map 29 is The Living End, and the music for that map was first heard way back at map 7.

Ichor said:

You must mean map 28. Map 29 is The Living End, and the music for that map was first heard way back at map 7.

Yeah map 28 was awesome, i like map9 which isn't anywhere else, and map 5 which is also map 11 i think.

The music for map05 is called Doom, it's also on map13. Map11 uses The healer stalks (like map02.)

myk said:

The music for map05 is called Doom, it's also on map13. Map11 uses The healer stalks (like map02.)

Then map 11 must be circle of death because thats the same as map 02 iirc, but the map i meant is titled downtown which is the same as the waste tunnels.

What's your favorite midi?

I really only like D_E1M7 and D_E1M5. The rest all suck, IMHO.

(Going by level names that they play on here)

D1:
Phobos Anomaly
Halls of the Damned
The Spawning Vats

D2:
The Pit
Icon of Sin
Wolfenstein

FD:
What was that level where you teleport to a place that looks exactly the same, but when you go back to the main room it looks different? I can't remember the name but the music there was cool.

Doom: E1M5
Doom2: Map09
Final Doom: no particular favourites

BTW, can anyone recommend a source for the real names for the music in Doom (e.g. "Shawn's got the Shotgun" rather than D_SHAWN, etc.)?

It's not really an answer to the question, but some of my favourite Doom music was in STRAIN; Map23 for instance.

Hicks said:

Icon of Sin
does somebody know what in the hell is the face saying at the start?

Nothing; the "face" is just a graphic. :)

EDIT: I've just leafed through TNT's music, and Map04 and Map06 are/were my favourites.

Hicks said:

when you first see the ´´graphic´´ it says something in backwards...;p

If you search the forums for the word "oremor", you will find plenty of discussion of the Boss Shooter's waking-up sound.